Sonic Mania received a big update on the PlayStation 4 yesterday! Except, whoops, it wasn't supposed to happen yet. The brief upgrade, which was exclusive to the UK PlayStation 4 store for its short existence, has since been pulled by Sega.
Still, the update lived long enough for Sonic fans to glean some information about the cool and exciting changes coming to the already-excellent Sonic Mania. There are new cinematics that carry Sonic from level to level (some levels currently have these cinematics, but not all), and a boss fight's been altered. We'll list the contents of the patch, but if you'd rather wait for the real deal, be warned that spoilers follow!
Here's what's new, as per the Sonic the Hedgehog subreddit. Without official patch notes from Sega, we can't say this is a comprehensive list. There's also a good chance some of the listed features will be pulled or altered before the patch goes live.
- All zones that lacked transitions now have them
- You can skip all cutscenes
- Skipping cutscenes between acts makes you lose your shield oddly
- Menus got a total overhaul
- You can now change the options on Save Files. Meaning you can use Insta-Shield, Super Peel out and & Knuckles mode in save file.
- The time limit can be disabled through this option
- Multiplayer added a non-stretched mode
- There's a new DLC options in the menu
- Metal Sonic boss fight got changed in multiple ways
- Phase 2 was tampered to be reduced to 3 hits & for Silver Sonic to shoot bullets out to hit Metal when killed
- The run afterwards is shortened a shitload to reduce time
- Metal Sonic boss third phase got totally redone with a fight with Metal Sonic Kai from Knuckles Chaotix but only its a Blue Metal Sonic Kai
- New graphics & sound effects were added as well
- Hydrocity Zone Act.2's transition to the second phase of it's boss got touched up on (there's a tube graphic & you get pushed out of water now)
- Super Sonic got new animations including a brand new idle animation
- The ice blocks in Press Garden Act.2 got a graphical change
- The unused animations of characters looking back & forth in ice blocks got added
- Tails Chemical Plant Act.1 intro cutscene got added (it's a new animation, not the known unused one)
Once the patch becomes official, we'll use our Sonic speed to tell you all about its arrival. In the meantime, we have tips, hints, and guides for Sonic Mania you should check out. Share them with your friends, too. You'll be the coolest kid on the playground, just like back in elementary school.