Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster is Coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC in 2018

More Shenmue in 2018.

News by Matt Kim, .

An HD re-release of Shenmue 1 and 2 is coming to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in 2018. Sega announced the news during a fan festival today in Japan.

Sega also showed off the box art for the Shenmue 1 & 2 HD collection which you can see below. The release comes after years of popular requests from fans and in the middle of development for the highly-anticipated Shenmue 3.

Shenmue HD PS4 box. Source: Sega

In a press release, Sega writes, "Shenmue I & II comes complete with the original feature set that defined modern gaming, including enthralling jujitsu combat, investigative sleuthing, and RPG elements in addition to memorable mini-games."

Shenmue is Yu Suzuki's cult-favorite action-adventure game. At the time the original Shenmue was the most expensive video game ever developed, but the open-world, martial arts game starring Ryo Hazuki proved to be a huge critical hit.

Suzuki is currently working on Shenmue 3 for release in the "later half" of 2018. The game was successfully crowdfunded on Kickstarter and Suzuki is working with Sony to get the game out.

The story is developing and we will continue to update you with more details as we get them.

Great timing on this! I bet a lot of people would like an easy way to play through the originals again before trying the new game. I'd certainly like to!
    (Insert note begging for a Switch version here)Edited 2 weeks ago by BulkSlash
    This is epic!
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #4 LBD_Nytetrayn 13 days ago
    I've heard Shenmue is like a spiritual predecessor to Yakuza, so I'm in.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn Gasp! You and the Mrs. never played Shenmue?
    This is great news! I've been wanting to partake in this purportedly bizarre game.
    Good thing they added the Japanese audio, otherwise there's no way I'd give it a chance.
    Please tell me they're redubbing it.
    @swamped They're not. Redubbing the games would be a huge undertaking, given the massive amount of voice acted dialogue in them.

At least there's an option for the Japanese audio. If you don't mind reading subs.
    I played the first Shenmue game, but my only memory of it is how my Mom would make fun of it while I was playing by walking up tho the wall, slowly knock on it and say "perhaps they're out."
    If this makes sense to anyone: Shenmue was one of the best “worst” games I’ve ever played. A bad game that I enjoyed and think back on with rich nostalgia.
    @IPA
    As Shenmue was a great game and truly groundbreaking for its time, not really.
  • Avatar for TheSensationalSean #13 TheSensationalSean 12 days ago
    A series I've been fascinated by, but unable to play, for nearly 20 years. At last!
    'Do sailors hang out here?'

'Sailors? Yeah, I see them at night.'

'You say sailors, but you don't mean just any sailor, do you?'
    @Nazo I'm a Shenmue fan, but I was would hesitate to call it "a great game." More accurate, I think, is your use of "truly groundbreaking." That I'd agree with. It was rich, immersive, and atmospheric, certainly; it was also nebulous and incredibly raw (as many games of its vintage are).

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked new people will get a chance to play it. I do think the game is in many respects "bad," but remains absolutely worth playing. (One of the many paradoxes that make certain games strange and wonderful.)

Comments