Shenmue 3 Now Releasing in 2019, No Hot Forklift Action in 2018

Search your feelings, you knew this was going to happen.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

Looks like 2018 won't be the Year of Ryo. Shenmue 3's release window's been booted into 2019, which probably won't come as a surprise to anyone. Shenmue 3 is a big project by itself, plus Kickstarted games need to miss their targeted release date at least once. It's an unspoken law, but one that's strictly enforced.

The news about the delay went up quietly on Deep Silver's site earlier today. Deep Silver, which is publishing the game, writes "The extra time will be used to polish the quality of the game even further, to the high standards it deserves and release the product in the best possible timeframe."

Taking the slow boat to Shenmue 3.

One Shenmue 3 delay was announced in June 2017, when we were told to expect the game in the latter half of 2018. However, this is probably an instance where patience will serve Shenmue fans more effectively than fear and rage. Shenmue 3 development updates have been a bit slow to dribble out of Deep Silver, but the game's hardly a dreaded Kickstarter phantom, either. We've seen important development milestones, right? Who can forget learning all about the game's facial expressions via footage of The World's Angriest Grandma?

I have no doubt Shenmue 3 is still happening. Sit tight until 2019, fans. Hey—why not play some Yakuza in the meantime?

Totally OK with games getting delayed. More often than not it helps and god knows I always have a million things to play.
    Someone with more energy than me should figure out what percentage of Kickstarted games come out on time, what percentage gets delayed, and what percentage just never gets finished. Even the projects that aren't scams seem to get delayed more often than not.
    I missed out on Shenmue back in the day but I've enjoyed the Yakuza series. I keep hearing that the Yakuza series are sort of a spiritual successor to Shenmue so I hope I'll enjoy it when the games cum out.
    Hopefully they will improve the graphics. If this was a straight indie game I could understand but I believe Sony is still backing it so the idea of PS2 or launch 360 style visuals on what is supposed to be revivals sequel is not going to fly with most.
    @AceOfCakez You should check out the first two that are coming this year for PS4. I think its this fall sometime.
    I'm not surprised. We've seen very little of the game to date and it's by its nature going to have a pretty big scope (maybe not in terms of world size, but the level of detail is kind of a defining feature of the series). 2018 was probably optimistic.

I'm still looking forward to the 1+2 HD rerelease. (Which, hopefully, includes dual audio...)
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #7 LBD_Nytetrayn 7 days ago
    Totally fine with this. I'm a Shenmue virgin, so to speak, unless riding an OutRun arcade cabinet around a racetrack as Ryo counts. This gives me ample time to check out the remakes first before deciding if I want in on this.

Besides which, I hear the Kickstarter blew away expectations, effectively taking it from something akin to a point-and-click adventure sequel to something potentially on the scale of Shenmue II.

Comments