Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final Coming to North America This Summer

Atlus' demon-infested Nintendo 3DS RPG will hit our shores as Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

The ancient power struggle between gods and demons spans generations as well as countries. Proof: Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final is coming to North America this summer as Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse.

First released for Japanese Nintendo 3DS systems last February, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse overlaps the story set in Shin Megami Tensei IV. This time, you're a Hunter cadet who's offed in post-apocalyptic Tokyo by one of the demons chilling in the infested city. You're subsequently resurrected by the god Dagda, and bound to serve him. Thing is, it's not initially clear if Dagda is a vengeful god or a happy god.

Hence why the themes in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse tread the line between good and evil. You can choose to act peacefully, or break loose and commit anarchy. As is typical for the Shin Megami Tensei series, you can also recruit demons to fight for you. Apocalypse also has a revamped demon fusion system that takes advantage of the demons' skill affinities.

If you've yet to play Shin Megami Tensei IV, don't fear the Apocalypse. It's a stand-alone adventure, making it a decent jumping-in point for the Nintendo 3DS chapter of Atlus' long-running RPG series. Physical and digital copies will be available in the summer for $49.99 USD.

Incidentally, are you interested in the reason why "Final" became "Apocalypse?" Atlus posted a piece that offers some cool insight into Shin Megami Tensei's localization process.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

While this should be cool and all... seriously, where's Persona?!
    Can't be any worse than the original release. One of the only RPG's I've ever had a to drop for having no idea what to do/where to go next.
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #3 renatocosta90 2 years ago
    Yes, finally! I hope the DLC isn't that expensive, since I've been foaming in the mouth ever since I saw the team picture against the DLC Boss (which I don't want to spoil). Fantastic news!
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #4 Tetragrammaton 2 years ago
    Burroughs: Congratulations on the successful completion of your mission, Atlus.
    @Karisu: Get a map of Tokyo, it reqlly helps.
    @renatocosta90 Me too, and I highly doubt Nintendo will create a promotion for SMT4A and Fire Emblem: Fates purchasers like they did back in 2013.
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #6 renatocosta90 2 years ago
    @riderkicker Nintendo doesn't exist in my country (Brazil) anymore. We had no club nintendo at the time as well, so I couldn't enjoy that promo, because if you had bought a digital game prior to linking a club nintendo account, you couldn't register that game anymore.

So, my only options are importing at ludicrous prices (or shopping in foreign currency in an North american e-shop).
    I've been following the coverage of this game and the game in its original released form was exponentially harder than the original SMT4. So hard that an "easier difficulty" was released as DLC. Hopefully it was balanced on release in the US better than the initial game.
    That art style...
    I love it!
    I'm really excited for this. SMT4 really grabbed me and didn't let go once my Blessed Samurai reached Tokyo and the game opened up. I love the Persona series, but the main Shin Megami Tensei series is just awesome. I'd love to see SMT get back to consoles or even the PC with SMT5.

Comments