Smash Bros: The 7 Characters We Want in the New Switch Version

Cappy? Shovel Knight? Here are our picks for the Smash Bros roster.

Feature by Kat Bailey, .

Super Smash Bros. was finally announced for the Switch earlier today, and you know what that means: It's time to speculate on new characters!

There have been a bunch of good Nintendo games since Smash Bros. came out on the Wii U and 3DS back in 2014, so it's not that hard to pick a bunch of good ones. Aside from a few additions based on today's stream, there are characters we've been wanting to see for ages. Plus, it's time for the Ice Climbers to come back! So here are our picks for the roster. Let's have some fun with this, shall we?

Shovel Knight [Shovel Knight]

Shovel Knight was originally a timed exclusive for the Wii and the 3DS. It got its start as one of the original "Nindies." So why not make Shovel Knight a member of the Super Smash Bros team?

As you can see, I'm not alone in my sentiment. Obviously, Shovel Knight would translate readily to Smash Bros. He has a variety of attacks; can bounce off Shield Knight for the second attack, and can utilize gadgets for the traditional special attack. Barring that, I would love to see Plague Knight in Super Smash Bros. We all know Plague Knight is the best anyway.

The Ice Climbers [Ice Climber]

This is mostly for my girlfriend, who dearly missed the Ice Climbers in Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U. She tried picking up Peach instead, but it just wasn't the same. She wanted to sit on a ledge and harass people with ice shots. She felt incomplete without a pair of hammers to make everyone's lives miserable.

The Ice Climbers were ostensibly left out of Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U because they were too hard to port over to the 3DS. Since that's no longer an issue, it only makes sense to have them make their triumphant return on the Nintendo Switch. My girlfriend's moment has come.

Solaire [Dark Souls]

Praise the sun! Solaire is getting his own Amiibo, so it only makes sense that he should make his way into Smash Bros. too. Super Smash Bros. has made it a habit of giving guest spots to characters from famous franchises, including Bayonetta, Mega Man, and even Final Fantasy, and Dark Souls is about as famous as it gets. It only makes sense in light of Dark Souls making its way to the Nintendo Switch in the near future. If not Solaire, then I'll totally accept the Gaping Dragon instead.

Min Min [Arms]

I'll accept any character from Arms, but Min Min is kind of my favorite. She's a Chinese martial artist who battles to promote her family's ramen restuarant, and her hobby is "eating mom's homemade ramen." Works for me! In all seriousness, Arms feels like it was made for Super Smash Bros. I mean, it's basically a fighting game itself. Arms wasn't exactly a big hit on the Switch—its concept was a little esoteric for most people—but it still deserves a spot on Smash Bros. for the Switch's roster. And Min Min is as good a choice as any.

Revali [Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild]

Pick any of the legendary heroes from Breath of the Wild: Revali, Daruk, Mipha, Urbosa. Heck, I'd be happy if they all made it on the roster of Smash Bros. Switch. Revali is my personal favorite, though. Yeah, he's basically Falco with a bow, but I love his bad attitude and wicked design.

Of course, I expect a ranged character who can fly would rapidly become irritatingly overpowered. Just ask anyone who's ever had to deal with projectile spam from Toon Link. But I trust the Smash Bros. designers to do right by Revali. And if they can't fit him in, then there are three excellent alternatives to choose from.

Cappy [Super Mario Odyssey]

In the "interesting mechanics we'd like to see" category, there's Cappy. I imagine Cappy could be a character akin to Pokemon Trainer where you would shift between a light form, a medium form, and a heavy form. Cappy's Smash Ball could transform him into a large T-Rex that would rampage around the screen.

Pokemon Trainer wasn't the greatest character ever, but he was kind of my main in Smash Bros. Brawl, so I wouldn't mind having that sort of mechanic back in Smash Bros. Switch. Cappy would be a fun and unexpected choice in that regard.

Mimikyu [Pokemon Sun/Moon]

There are a lot of obvious choices from Pokemon Sun and Moon for the inevitable Pokemon slot in Smash Bros. Switch: Golisopod, Lycanroc, Incineroar. But Mimikyu is my absolute favorite monster to come out of Sun and Moon, and the one I would most like to see in Smash Bros.

In case you forgot, Mimikyu is a shy Pokemon that looks vaguely like a Pikachu. If you attack it, its sheet absorbs the blow and collapses. I have absolutely no idea how this would fit into Smash Bros., to be honest. All I know is that Mimikyu is the cutest (and most tragic) of Pokemon, and I desperately want to be able to play as it in the new game.

Oh snap, that game was 2014? I have a feeling that Nintendo may be using the Wii U version as a template and just adding characters and stages, considering how much of a struggle it was for Sakurai and his team to produce the last one.

I want Tamagon to be a playable character...
    I remember when Brawl came out some of my friends were salty because Pichu got the boot. I'd love to see their faces the moment Mimikyu gets announced for the game, which is likely given its central role in the marketing of gen 7.
    Fam, if these are THE 7 you want we have a problem.

The real 7 we want:

Revali
    Urbosa
    Daruk
    Mipha
    Sidon
    Calamity Ganon
    A mother****ing Lynel

what? WHAT?

Fine, get creative. But at least gimme Geralt and the Doom Guy!
  • Avatar for Number1Laing #4 Number1Laing 6 months ago
    Mr. Mime is my vote as always.
    I'm really hoping that "Chibi-Robo on fire" pic from a while back really was a confirmation of Cheebo for Smash, 'cuz the li'l guy certainly deserves better than his recent 3DS games. And if we're speaking Zelda characters, I really want Impa. Athletic, fat, little & old, twiggy, fat & old...Whichever one we would get, I'd be happy to have her at all.

...and I guess if we must have yet another bloody Fire Emblem rep, I'm rooting for Celica. Alm can be an alt Marth skin if he's a good boy.

As for stages, my wants are simple: 8-player Tortimer Island.
    Quote (the main character from Cave Story) is a shoe-in. Make Curly Brace an alternate costume and it'll be even better!
    What we need

Chibi Robo
    Captain toad Toad
    Paper Mario
    BotW Link and Regular Link as different characters

What we will get
    15 fire emblem characters that all use swords. Even though there are lords without swords.
    Cloud again (with a sword)
    Bayonetta (with new special weapon change move, alt move set equips the sword)
    The sword pokemon.
    All Mii classes shown in Miitopia
    The 7 I want:

Ridley
    Ridley
    Ridley
    Ridley
    Ridley
    Ridley
    Ridley

Just do it already Nintendo, make him Bowser size. It can work.
    I would love for the four champions of Breath of the Wild to be playable characters… but I’m also realistic, so if they are included in the game, I think they are more likely to be Assist Trophies. I would also love to see Min Min (or Twintelle) from ARMS, but I think Ribbon Girl or Spring Man are more likely to be the characters included.

But honestly, what I would like to see the most in the new Smash is more representation of secondary Nintendo properties: Krystal from Star Fox, Sylux from Metroid Prime Hunters, Samurai Goro or Black Shadow from F-Zero. Also, either Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, or Rex and Pyra/Mythra (battling as another dual character of sorts) from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #10 VotesForCows 6 months ago
    Hey, Geralt wasn't confirmed for Soul Calibur was he - just a new game? Could be Smash!

Min-Min and Solaire are great choices. But from Shovel Knight the correct choice is Spectre Knight or Shield Knight.
    I've long wanted Star Man from the NES Pro Wrestling to be added to the roster. A high-flying luchador would fit right in.

Let's see... there's long been a push to make Waluigi playable, so that's a possibility. With the new Wario Ware collection, Ashley and the other supporting characters might get a shot. Takamaru has long been a runner-up, so perhaps this time he'll get a chance. Shantae would be a natural along with Shovel Knight. Simon Belmont and Bomberman would be good choices, provided that Konami decides not to be awful for just a single moment. And either Laharl or Etna would be nice surprises for an outside pick.
    Crash Bandicoot.
  • Avatar for Arvis-Jaggamar #13 Arvis-Jaggamar 6 months ago
    No one ever thinks Toad or Daisy should be on the roster in Smash. I wonder why?
    I remember when they had an open poll on who we'd like to see in the last Smash game. I voted Hitler because he was in the original Bionic Commando NES game.
    @link6616 paper Mario would be super interesting!
    Gracious, snap, that diversion was 2015? I have an inclination that Nintendo might utilize the Wii U form as a layout and simply including characters and stages, considering the amount of a battle it was for Sakurai and his group to deliver the last one.

I need Tamagon to be a playable character...With best music of best mandolins Edited 2 times. Last edited March 2018 by joshef
  • Avatar for johnpading95 #17 johnpading95 6 months ago
    7 characters? The cast of Chrono Trigger
    @link6616 If they do the Links as separate characters I can see it working pretty well actually. Twilight Princess Link would have the same moveset he's had for the past few entries, while BotW Link would have his parasail, and maybe his cryo, time stop ability (freeze an enemy on the edge, smack them as much as you can to cause them to fly off!), and remote detonation bombs. They could be completely different characters.
    Pauline's time to shine is now
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #20 LBD_Nytetrayn 6 months ago
    Litten with Incineroar Final Smash, please.
    @VotesForCows As much as I'd love Geralt in Smash, I can already see two reasons why he probably wouldn't show up. The first is that he's never been in a game on a Nintendo system (Even Cloud appeared in some Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts spinoffs on Nintendo platforms); the second is that he originated as a book character and not as a video game character (This is also why Goku ain't in Smash).

Of course, Nintendo's free to change and break its own rules, but I doubt that'll happen.

On the subject of Dark Souls, seeing how everyone's expecting Solaire since Dark Souls is coming to Switch and he has an Amiibo, I'm gonna find it really, really funny if we get Lautrec instead.
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #22 ghostsandgoblins 6 months ago
    I just picked up SSB on the 3DS when it was discounted on My Nintendo but I haven’t played a lot yet. I’ve been trying some popular Nintendo series this year that I don’t have experience with, but I haven’t quite figured out yet how to enjoy SSB and Mario Kart.

My favorite characters on the NES growing up were third party: Capcom, Technos Japan, and Konami. Of those, I’d love Firebrand, Kunio Kun, and Oolong. For Nintendo characters, I want Toad.
  • Avatar for philiprobinson60 #23 philiprobinson60 6 months ago
    If Shovel Knight is not in the new Smash Bros, then someone has failed at their job.
    Obscurities I'd love to see:

- Stanley Bugman (Donkey Kong 3)
    - Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
    - Foreman Spike (Wrecking Crew)
    - Professor Hector (Gyromite)
    - Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
  • Avatar for purplepanda453 #25 purplepanda453 6 months ago
    Oh yeah let's put 7 more characters that are just as over used as the rest. Don't get me wrong these characters are great, but they're on here because they have a lot of attention from fans already. How about putting in some characters from other games that most Nintendo fans don't even know exist; it gets those games the attention they really deserve and sells more product. This doesn't. Examples of such are Phoenix Wright/The Ace Attorney series, Professor Layton Series, Ghost Trick, etc. This whole genre seems to be left out so often and these games deserve way more attention then they're getting. "Oh but they're also *insert other company" game too they share it with Nintendo so they can't put it in!" So is Megaman? So is Pacman? "Those games deal with drama and smash is about action games!" Really? Since when have Fire Emblem and Legend of Zelda not have some sort of storyline and drama sequences to them? People need to start giving some attention to games that are still Nintendo and actually get the audience they deserve.
    My list:

Shambler from Darkest Dungeon
    Trace from Axiom Verge
    Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes
    Shantae
    Super Meat Boy
    Doom Guy

Any of these might get me to buy the game.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #27 VotesForCows 6 months ago
    @MetManMas Good point re Geralt. But if we're going to go wild with Dark Souls characters, lets go for Sif, Alvina or Gwyn? Maybe Artorias if we're being a bit more dull...
    @VotesForCows Sif is too big for Smash.

Siegmeyer would be pretty awesome, though. Angry mushroom would make a cool assist trophy.
    @MetManMas Siegmeyer all the way. I would buy the game just to play as him with "Hmmmm... mmmmm... Hrmmmm" taunts.

I would also add Mara, Arioch, and Mishaguji from Shin Megami Tensei, Flinthook, Dandara, and Sam Gideon from Vanquish (for smoke break taunts).
    @NiceGuyNeon exactly. I think botw link is different enough that it's worth pushing to 3 links.

And if we'll have 3 links I think we need to put in tetra (so 3 links and zelda+2 alt identities)
    I find your lack of Daisy disturbing...
    do you want to watch latest movies for free? then download terrarium tv Edited 3 times. Last edited March 2018 by terra30
  • Avatar for odettengijol34 #33 odettengijol34 5 months ago
    I really want Sans from undertale (if you where living under a rock) he`s final attack could be the one he uses in the genocide run. But i have one problem, undertale charaters in 3d.

Comments