SMT For Switch Is Officially Shin Megami Tensei V

Atlus releases a trailer for the upcoming Nintendo Switch release.

News by Mike Williams, .

It's still in the early stages, but Atlus has offered up a little bit more information on the next Shin Megami Tensei game. It was previously announced for Nintendo Switch with very few details given. Today, Atlus released a trailer revealing the game officially as Shin Megami Tensei V.

While Shin Megami Tensei IV took place in an alternate reality world, SMT 5 looks to return to the modern-day Tokyo environment of Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. Of course, it's not SMT without a demon-filled apocalypse, and the trailer shows exactly that kind of thing happening. A young boy and girl are killed—and possibly awakened—by a pack of flying demons. The weird rose petal theme shown in the first trailer appears again here, when the girl is killed.

Unfortunately, while this trailer gives us some idea of the setting, it doesn't offer much in the way of details. All we know is Shin Megami Tensei is still coming as a Nintendo Switch exclusive, and the title will be the next mainline release in the series, not a spin-off.

Wonder if the rose-petal thing is the substitute for human blood? Yanno, making a violent RPG exclusive to a Nintendo system might not come without concessions.
    Fine, Nintendo. I'll buy a Switch or whatever
    @Vanderdulpp : Probably not, Nintendo has had other bloody games that have been on their systems, and exclusives to boot. Bayonetta 2 comes to mind, and they even published it! I'm guessing it's more of a stylistic choice, and may even have some other connotations within the plot.

Regardless, I'm happy that it's a mainline entry. The more of these types of games the Switch can get, the longer it's likely to last.Edited October 2017 by SargeSmash
    Guys.... guys..... omg.......
    I hope Atlus will consider porting over SMT 1 to 3 to the Switch to achieve Nintendo Unification.
    Oooooooh hyyyyyyyyyype!
  • Avatar for LunarFlame17 #7 LunarFlame17 8 months ago
    Yeah, this is definitely a day one purchase for me.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #8 The-Challenger 8 months ago
    And this is only the beginning!
    Hopefully it's better than Persona 5.
    Anyone else thought this looked a lot like Tokyo Mirage Session (esp. the first part with the 'faceless masses'), just with a severely toned down color palette? Anyways, I am totally psyched for this, I really enjoyed Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I mean, SMTV was fine, but I kind hate the static way combat was "animated". TMS was so much more lively and dynamic, and I actually think, it added a few cool mechnical twist to the formula/ combat. I really hope SMT will pick up on some of that stuff.

This and Xenoblade and Octopath Traveler really turned the Switch into the most excting jRPG prospect going into 2018 for me. The PS4 made leaps forward this year in terms of RPGs from Japan, but still, we are a long way from the range and consistent quality of the PS2 era. We'll probably never get that back, but I do believe that Switch could offer a fair chance at a decent jRPG revival for the years to come.

I'm mean this on top of a home-console quality FE, so ... OMGomgomg amazing stuff's happening! :-)
    @Vanderdulpp Eh, it's probably just a stylistic choice for certain scenes, much like Persona 3's headshot* summons. Atlus ain't afraid of getting bloody on Nintendo platforms, Shin Megami Tensei IV had some pretty gruesome pre-death character portraits and it was a 3DS exclusive.

* Still surprised they got away with that. Might not be any blood or gore, but "I'ma blow my brains out to summon some Greek asshole" is still pretty fucked up.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #12 SatelliteOfLove 8 months ago
    Dude getting eaten by demons.

Abandoned post-apocolyptic cyberpunk Tokyo.

Beautiful Koduka soundtrack

No fucking beach scenes.

GIVE ME THE COMPUTER GLOVE, STEVEN!

@Vanderdulpp

It's almost assuredly Magatsuhi (emotional energy that was a big currency in Nocturne).
  • Avatar for discohospital #13 discohospital 8 months ago
    I'd be tempted to complain that, based on the details Atlus has provided in and along with this teaser, this sounds like rigidly by-the-numbers Shin Megami Tensei - but I'm really not inclined to after what they did with SMT4A. A "return to form" would be most welcome at this point. Let's re-calibrate, Atlus.

That said, one thing that jumps out to me here is the simultaneous presence of both a male and female character, with neither being given precedence or prominence over the other - at least until we see the boy's arm at the end (and granted, it's clear the flowers on his jacket/rose petals in the air have a thematic/symbolic importance). It's clear why we shouldn't realistically expect a (new, HD) Persona game with dual protagonists ("resource allocation", as Hashino so diplomatically called it in an interview elsewhere) - but this would seem much more feasible within the confines of design/style precedents established in Shin Megami Tensei itself. I don't see them going to Production I.G for an hour of anime cutscenes on this one, to say the least. I'm certainly not holding my breath, but one can hope, as dual protagonists would be precisely the kind of move forward that would seem to make sense for this series.

And if forgive me for flogging this horse, but I'll remain bewildered if this is in fact a Switch exclusive. Unless of course Nintendo has paid them for exclusivity (and I'm honestly ignorant as to how likely such a scenario could be). I've suspected some kind of exclusivity deal with Sony as regards Persona 5 - at least for a period. I do see the desire for a Switch port of that and would hope that it would be a possibility for those interested (perhaps even myself should the situation present itself).Edited October 2017 by discohospital
    @discohospital : Well, the 3DS games stayed on that platform as well, as far as I know, and they were mainline entries, so it wouldn't surprise me if it stayed on the Switch. But again, it also wouldn't surprise me if it jumped to PS4 or PC, given how devs are starting to use engines that run well on multiple platforms. Time will tell. :)

Comments