Well, that's another week squared away. What manner of fun activities do you have planned for the weekend?
"Wasting squid-kids in Splatoon 2" is the correct answer. I will also accept "Playing Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age until the sun takes personal offense at my continued attempts to stay away from it."
Here's what else garnered community gab this week:
- Splatoon 2 inspired Mike to look back at Nintendo's history of online services, and it also inspired Caty to round up memories about the most "pop" video games to date.
- Last weekend had quite a bit of news spillage thanks to EVO and Disney's D23 Expo. The Toy Story trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3 sent many hearts a-flutter, though it seems the game's development is as tumultuous as ever.
- Mike highlighted everything cool that happened at EVO last weekend. If you haven't read John Learned's Oral History of EVO yet, get on with it.
- Piccolo, Krillin and Trunks are coming to Dragon Ball Fighter Z. Who dies first? Three guesses, and the first two don't count.
- Kat paid tribute to the late great George Romero, who gave gaming its best (and most expendable) villain.
- My reviews of all the games included on the SNES Classic Edition are ongoing! This week: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and the mighty Contra III.
- The Destiny 2 beta is live, and Doc's already learned a few important things. Other players have made their own discoveries. The verdict on the beta so far? Meh. Also, Caty thinks back to the time she beat the first Destiny game without knowing it.
- Fire Pro Wrestling is lit. So is Neko Atsume, which finally got an update after more than six months.
- Nintendo maaaay be contemplating an N64 Classic Edition because it doubts enough of our loved ones will die in the inevitable stampede for the SNES Classic Edition this fall.
- If the SNES Classic isn't happening in your household, maybe snag an Ataribox. Man, "You can't get a Nintendo, so make due with Atari" sure brings back some childhood memories. Well, at least Atari is also making a cool hat.
- Finally, Kat and I wrapped up our Chrono Trigger and Persona 4 Golden reports on the Axe of the Blood God 'pod! We streamed our reactions live, but if you missed the show, it's archived on our Twitch channel.
Today's ending credits theme is Metal Gear Solid 3's "Way to Fall" by Starsailor. Supposedly, Hideo Kojima wanted Bowie's Space Odyssey or Ashes to Ashes as the game's ending theme, but he changed his mind as development progressed. Then a colleague suggested the indie band Stellastarr, which Kojima misheard as "Starsailor." And, well, Bob's your uncle, as they say.
Talk about a fortune comedy of errors, though. Way to Fall wasn't written for MGS 3, but given the game's ending, it may as well have been.