Switch 5.0.0 Firmware is Ultimately Underwhelming

Lots of new features for parents!

News by Matt Kim, .

Surprise! The Nintendo Switch Firmware Version 5.0.0 is now live, and with it some new features have arrived on the Switch. However, the new update doesn't have long-requested features many users thought would arrive on the Switch like folder support, or custom themes. Instead the update mostly features better parental control settings.

The biggest addition with Switch 5.0.0 is an improved friend feature that lets users add friends from their Facebook and Twitter connections. So if a friend or follower on Facebook or Twitter also happen to have a Switch, you can add them through Friend Suggestions. Twitter and Facebook accounts of course need to be linked to your Nintendo account.

Other than that, the main thrust of the update appears to be centered around parental controls, with the Switch 5.0.0 update adding extra security like making Parental Controls PIN private, restricting captured videos, and a parental controls whitelist tied to a Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app. So if you have young children, this is the update for you.

For awhile now, rumors online suggested that the next big Nintendo Switch Firmware update would include popular features like folders to organize games, custom themes beyond the default light and dark theme, and cloud saves for player data. Unfortunately, none of that shipped with this update, so fans will just have to keep holding out for the next "big" firmware update.

Here's a full list of updates arriving with Switch 5.0.0:

• Facebook and Twitter Friends that also use Nintendo Switch can be added through Friend Suggestions.
  • 24 new ARMS and Kirby series icons.
  • Digital games purchased on PC or smart device will start downloading sooner, even if Switch is sleeping.
  • Filter News will only show unread news, or news from specific channels.
  • Parental Control PINS now input from control stick and buttons instead of on-screen number pad to keep PIN private.
  • Capture videos restricted by Parental Controls
  • Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app can be used to whitelist specific titles.
  • Notifications will alert players when pre-purchased games are ready to download.
  • Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors now displayed in the Controllers menu.

The pro controller's grip colors can be recognized by the system? Cool tho unnecessary.
  • Avatar for SkywardShadow #2 SkywardShadow 6 months ago
    Yes, I need that whitelist functionality. Why can't everything have parental controls like these?
    It's a pipe dream but I hope they add support for Bluetooth headphones someday. I wear workout Bluetooth earbuds when, well, working out, but they're also handy for listening to stuff on my laptop and phone. They're much comfier than wired headphones, and isn't the Switch all about comfort?

Also make it so I can look at my games on more than a single, long row. Like how the 3DS allows you to have multiple rows to look at at once.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #4 VotesForCows 6 months ago
    Hey, nobody mentioned Demon's Souls, which is what pretty much every other site ran with. That's nice!

A Metal Gear Solid (or Metal Gear) remake would be great, and probably a good way back to earning some goodwill for Konami. If done right I'd like that over anything else (though I'd definitely replay Demon's Souls with some quality of life improvements).

Edit: I'm clearly on the wrong thread, but I'll leave this here to confuse future digital historians.Edited March 2018 by VotesForCows
    Given how hot the system came in and how great the first years games were i was willing to let it slide for a while but the UI and lack of VC is starting to get beyond a joke!
    No cloud or PC saves. Huh.
    @apoc_reg The UI is the best of any console, imo. Very fast and no clutter.

As for Virtual Console, it's dead. Publishers have realized they're better off releasing their old games on their own with more fanfare (Megaman Legacy, etc). I'm sure we'll see old Nintendo games at some point, but under a different banner than VC. Probably not before September, though, since part of the online plan is NES/SNES games with online support.
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the UI and how fast the OS runs. My PS4 would have slowdown when navigating the OS and that was annoying. I hope they keep the interface simple and fast.

I'm super happy that they gave the console the ability to auto download games when they're purchased from nintendo.com. I loved that on Wii U and am glad to have it on Switch.

I thought I'd be sad to see the VC go but, honestly, the ACA games are much better crafted and better than the VC was. I'd also rather get physical collections of classic games than individual releases.
  • Avatar for theinternetisodd #9 theinternetisodd 6 months ago
    as a parent of young kids who love playing switch i welcome the enhanced parental control features.

Comments