Team Sonic Racing is finally here, offering up an energetic and cooperative take on the kart racing genre. There’s characters to unlock, time-attack events to beat, and rings to collect, and you’ll need to get to grips with the basics before you can get ahead. To help you out, we’ve been busy putting together this Team Sonic Racing Tips Guide. We’ll take a look at how to drift, why you should be collecting rings, and how to share items with your teammates. We’ll be adding more and more guides pages as we spend time with the game, so be sure to check back regularly for more on Team Sonic Racing.
Team Sonic Racing Tips
The way the kart handles in Team Sonic Racing can take a little bit of getting used to, most notably the drifting. And while playing through the story should help you improve over time, there are some things you’ll want to keep in mind while playing. You’ll find our Team Sonic Racing Tips below:
- Collect rings where you can, they will guide you around the course.
- Open your Mod Pods as soon as you can, you’ll need some of the upgrades later on.
- Experiment with each of the three racer types.
- Not every kind of event suits every racer, use technique for drifting challenges, Power for boss runs.
- Try to drift as often as you can.
- Do tricks while airborne using the right stick.
- If a teammate is behind, share your items.
- Follow your teammates and use their trail to boost.
- If you see a team member knocked out, drive into them to boost them back into the race.
- Your final position is based on an average of all three of your team members.
- Complete the objectives for each event to gain stars and keys to unlock new areas.
- You can use boost items before heading into an event to give you an advantage. Use them on courses you are struggling with.
- Try not to ram enemies, it’s usually more trouble than it’s worth.
- Accelerate in time with the starting countdown to get a boost.
How to Drift in Team Sonic Racing
Drifting is extremely important in Team Sonic Racing. Not only will it get you around corners easily, it also helps you to build up boost. There are three levels of boost to hit:Orange, purple and blue, each resulting in a different level of boost. Your goal should always be to hit the highest level possible, as the boost you’ll get will be considerable if you stick it out. Hold L2/LT to initiate and then use the left stick to guide yourself around corners.
Sharing Items in Team Sonic Racing
One of the key systems at play in Team Sonic Racing is the item sharing that players can use while racing. You’ll pick up items by hitting the myriad boxes scattered throughout a track, though once you’ve done so, you’ll need to make a choice. You can either use it yourself, or press circle/B to share it. Hitting the share button will offer the item up to your team, and it will be up to them to accept it. Conversely, items can be offered to you by your teammates. You’ll see these requests pop up onscreen and you’ll just need to press circle to accept.