The Best Metal Gear Solid Game is Now Backwards Compatible on the Xbox One

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are available now on Xbox One.

News by Matt Kim, .

Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 are both available now on Xbox One through the backwards compatibility feature. Both versions are available in HD.

According to our Best Metal Gear games list, this is your chance to play the best (and sixth best) Metal Gear Solid games in the series on a current console. Both Metal Gear games first became available on the Xbox 360 thanks to the Metal Gear Solid HD Edition bundle which combined both games for $19.99 back in 2012. Unlike the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, the 360 bundle didn't include Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Snake? SNAKE! SNAAAA-

In our Metal Gear Solid retrospective, we ranked Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater the best in the series thanks to its "visual beauty, emotional stakes, and conclusion," particularly the final boss fight. The survival mechanic in Metal Gear Solid 3 was later re-used in Metal Gear Solid Survive. Meanwhile Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty has seen a recent resurgence in status as of late thanks to its philosophical themes. Though, philosophy alone doesn't make for a great game.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 joins fellow Konami HD titles like Silent Hill HD Collection and Zone of the Enders HD Collection on the Xbox One Backwards Compatible library, and is available for purchase now digitally for $19.99.

• Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #1 Funny_Colour_Blue 8 days ago
    ...it took me 10 years after it's original release to figure you could capture, and then throw an entire snake at your enemies in Metal Gear Solid 3. MGS3 is such a cool game, I just wish it was more upfront about it's game play nuances.
  • Avatar for odaiba-memorial #2 odaiba-memorial 8 days ago
    @Funny_Colour_Blue I really love that the game doesn't go out of its way to explain every little thing you can do to the player -- God knows these games are talkative enough already. The game gives you the basics of what you can and cannot do and leaves you to experiment. (Did you also know that you can spin Snake around in the Survival Viewer to make him throw up? Did you ALSO know that this can be used to not only cure food poisoning, but also to trick the guard and escape the prison?) It's a wonderfully old-fashioned design philosophy, and one that I wholeheartedly appreciate. Edited 2 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by odaiba-memorial
    @odaiba-memorial played it maybe a dozen times and still haven't seen Snake's dream. Think it's the only major thing I've missed. what a game.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #4 Funny_Colour_Blue 7 days ago
    @VotesForCows I think Snake's dream is only playable in the original PS2 and subsistence versions. The moment you arrive in jail, save your game, reset your ps2, and then reload your save file.

This little easter egg was taken out In all the HD re-releases and collections. I remember this cause, snake's dream, along with the Ape Escape mini game and the Metal Geat Acid 2's 3D Eye PSP feature, Boss Rush Mode and Metal Gear Online was taken out as well.

Metal Gear Solid 3 and Subsistence, had a lot of neat content for a PS2 game.

@odaiba-memorial yeah, it was the first thing they mentioned on the OPM demo disc back in 2000-ish. I'm just kind of cheesed cause, I played MGS3 like every other metal gear game, and apparently you're not suppose to do that, because you're like missing 80% of the game's fun. Edited 4 times. Last edited 1 weeks ago by Funny_Colour_Blue
    About damn time! I don't have an Xbone, but if I had one before now, not being able to play the MGS collection on it was definitely one of the things that would disappoint me about its BC.

Now if somebody would just get Bluepoint to remaster the remasters (and 4) (also port 1 w/all integral content plz k thx bye) so I could play them on PS4. Konami may be run by shitheads but they still like money, right?
    @Funny_Colour_Blue I admit, I kinda selfishly want a PS4 exclusive remaster of the Snake Eater remaster just so we might have a slim chance of getting the Ape Escape missions and cancelled PS2 game demo dream put back in.

At least reinstate the boss rush mode.

Comments