The Devil's Own: Capcom's Hideaki Itsuno on a Decade-Plus with Dante

The guiding hand behind Devil May Cry talks about his ups, downs, and everything-in-betweens with Capcom's groundbreaking action series.

Interview by Bob Mackey, .

It took us a while to get there, but in 2001, Capcom created the first true 3D action game with Devil May Cry. (Or, at the very least, the first action game that felt right in a 3D space.)

In the 14 years since the series' debut, creator Hideki Kamiya has moved on to his own studio, and Devil May Cry's spiritual successor, Bayonetta, but Capcom hasn't let his legacy wither on the vine. After Devil May Cry's debut, Capcom's Hideaki Itsuno took over, directing parts 2, 3, and 4, as well as overseeing 2013's fantastic reboot, DmC.

Though Itsuno might be known best for his work on this series, he's had a variety of projects in his 20 years at Capcom, from Power Stone to Auto Modellista to Dragon's Dogma. And at this year's E3, Itsuno offered his thoughts on his history with Devil May Cry just in time for the release of part 4's Special Edition, which he originally directed in 2008.

Hideaki Itsuno. Image Via Here.

USgamer: Can you tell me how, from a design perspective, the Devil May Cry Series has evolved since its origins?

Hideaki Itsuno: So the Devil May Cry Series started as off as a sort of Resident Evil spin-off in development, which became its own thing... [A]t first it had a lot of the same elements as Resident Evil, such as puzzle solving, but actually, as the series has progressed, it’s become a lot more cinematic and the puzzle solving has become less important, and it’s become the action-focused game that you know and love today.

USg: How did you come to work on the series? What were your initial thoughts on accepting the project?

HI: So, the Devil May Cry 2 project actually wasn’t going terribly well at one point in development, and they needed someone to come in and help them get it on track again. My boss was saying, “Who should we have deal with it?” And he just kind of said, “Itsuno, you do it.” At first I was like, “Seriously?” But I took the mission on with the mind to doing the best I could.

USg: Looking at the series as a whole, Devil May Cry 2 probably garnered the most negative reaction. Did that reaction factor into the development of Devil May Cry 3 at all?

HI: I came on board with 2 about halfway through the project, and as I was saying, maybe it didn’t quite turn out the way wanted it to and there was a certain reaction to that from the community. I think with 3, rather than taking directly on board feedback related to 2 and say, acting on that particularly, I just kind of wanted to start over in 3 and make the action game that I wanted to make. So, in a sense, 1 and 2 were done, and 3 was a bit of a fresh start for the series.

"[Devil May Cry] 3 was the first time I really felt that came out as such a great package. It was certainly a challenge, but it represents a quantum leap in the series."

MW: Most writers and creators generally don’t like revisiting their old work. Does the Special Edition of Devil May Cry give you a chance to improve on anything that you feel the original game lacked?

HI: I don’t really mind revisiting my old works as much, and with this project, we wanted to bring this game up to date. It’s been seven years since Devil May Cry 4 came out, so there is a bit of a gap. I think certain expectations on the player’s side have changed. We wanted to make it playable by modern gamers without feeling any frustration. Once we had sorted that out, we didn’t want to redo any of the mechanics of the game or anything like that. We weren’t going to be making it a different game, but we did put a lot of extra content in, in terms of the new playable characters, so that’s the part that I really enjoyed: adding, rather than, say, redoing, the mechanics totally and making a different game.

USg: Across the entire series, is there a boss, or enemy encounter that you feel is your favorite from a design perspective?

HI: That would be Berial from Devil May Cry 4, and obviously, it’s still in Special Edition. It’s a huge-ass boss with a big sword, so it’s a simple concept in a way, and his attacks are, I wouldn’t want to say easy, but straightforward in what he comes at you with—but you really have to strategize as a player to deal with him. It was difficult to actually create the boss because it was so big that, even at the time—7 years ago—to be able to have this boss able to work on screen was quite hard. We were really happy with the outcome of it. It still looks good today in the Special Edition, this huge boss, so yeah, that would be my favorite one.

USg: What was the most challenging Devil May Cry game for you to direct?

HI: Probably Devil May Cry 3. It was a very challenging project, but it was a real turning point, I think, for the series, and for us. If you look at the Devil May Cry games before that one and after it, you can really see that it was the one that brought the cinematics to a new level and the graphics to a new level. I was able to able to bring to bear the know-how that I have developed so far at Capcom. You know, I’ve got a history with fighting games and stuff and being able to really bring the game play from that sort of game and combine it with this 3D action into one seamless whole... [Devil May Cry] 3 was the first time I really felt that came out as such a great package. It was certainly a challenge, but it represents a quantum leap in the series.

Devil May Cry 4's Special Edition.

USg: Your productions aren't limited to the stylish action of Devil May Cry; your time at Capcom has seen you working across many different genres. Has working on the Devil May Cry series informed your work on different experiences, like Dragon's Dogma?

HI: As I said, my history at Capcom before Devil May Cry was in fighting games... [A] fighting game is one stage on screen; it doesn’t scroll except for a little bit to the left and right, and it’s one setting. With Devil May Cry, I really learned how to make a game that actually is about progressing through larger environments. I always wanted to make an RPG, even though it’s not something that Capcom is known for; so when that project came about, it was a perfect chance for me to combine the skills I had developed previously. The result was essentially Dragon’s Dogma. So it’s definitely had an influence.

USg: Finally, what do you feel that the new generation of consoles has to offer for the stylish action genre games like Devil May Cry?

HI: So, obviously, this is the first time that we’ve had the series come to next generation as a port, but working with the next-gen consoles, I find that, from a technical base, there’s a lot of potential. Like the amount of memory you have to work with, and not just that, but the additional networking capabilities and relatively seamless nature of the next gen consoles is something I feel we can take advantage of.

Bob would like to thank Mike Williams for his assistance in conducting this interview.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

• Avatar for sharonandrews #1 sharonandrews 3 years ago
    Deleted June 2015 by Jaz_Rignall
  • Avatar for sharonandrews #2 sharonandrews 3 years ago
    Deleted June 2015 by Jaz_Rignall
    Interesting stuff, its great to hear dev's thoughts on their games. I'm fairly unfamiliar with Devil May Cry, but a huge Bayonetta fan. Think the new release of DMC4 would be worth a look?
    @VotesForCows If you have the means to play it, I would definitely recommend picking up the HD collection first. The first and third game are quite possibly the best action games I have played (Tied with the Ninja Gaidan 1 - 2). DMC4 is still worth a look either way.
    P.S I haven't played Bayonetta yet, so that could well be a better game...
    @wertps3134 Thanks. Sadly my PS3 was lost to progress (i.e. sold to finance my PS4!). I think I'll have a look at DMC4 so. I need something more... immediate, after sinking tens of hours into Witcher.

Bayonetta could be the best game ever. I really mean that. It feels sublime in your hands and on the screen, and is only marred by the embarrassment I feel when my wife walks in during a cut-scene.
    @VotesForCows
    I'd say DMC4SE is worth playing if you're a fan of Bayonetta or high-octane action gaming in general.

Be warned though, the campaign in DMC4SE is average at best; I doubt you'd look forward to replaying the campaign just for the sake of it. Still, you'd most likely want to complete it at least once to unlock Bloody Palace which is where you'll probably spend most of your time honing your finger gymnastics :)

Where DMC4SE shines, is in the five characters it now includes (DMC4 came with two). Each of them plays quite differently from the other (more so than Bayonetta and Jeanne) and now with controls being fully configurable for each character, I've found myself quite hooked on attempting to master each of them.

It also helps that the enemies in DMC4 (no new ones were introduced in SE) are still fun to beat up and the game runs at a super solid 60fps with no drops in my own experience.

If you do decide to get a copy of DMC4SE for your PS4, I suggest obtaining an Asian/Japanese copy (the main difference being which region you can redeem/purchase DLC from)...it's also the only way you'll get the option for Japanese voices in the game, even though I think the English ones still rock better.

P.S. You're right about Bayonetta being a sublime experience. The ways they allow you to cancel moves, it's almost as though the character onscreen is an extension of your synapses, it's just so damn responsive! Also, if you have questions regarding DMC I'll do my best to answer :)
    This article was a great read and very timely as I'm in the midst of indulging in DMC4SE even though I already played quite a bit of DMC4 years ago on PC.

I was a little surprised to read that his favourite boss is Berial, although I think that's partly because he's viewing it from a creator's standpoint (as opposed to me viewing from a player's perspective).

Interestingly enough, despite him saying they didn't want to redo mechanics, they did tweak the amount of time it takes before your character sprints. It took forever in DMC4 but you could use it even in combat whilst now it takes barely a second to get started but it's unavailable in combat.

Also, as much as I'd love to see a Special Edition of Dragon's Dogma (basically I mean I want a version of Dark Arisen without the black bars and at any HD resolution that allows rock solid 60fps), I'd like it even more if they were secretly working on a sequel with revamped enemies, environments and even more evolved mechanics; Dragon's Dogma and it's expanded follow-up still have the same weakpoints which is a relatively bland landscape and exceedingly 'vanilla' enemies.

That being said, I'm glad Itsuno got to bring Dragon's Dogma to the world because even if it had its flaws, I greatly enjoyed it and I think it brought a lot of interesting new things to the action and RPG genres.
    DMC4 is the only game in the series I haven’t tried. Although I think I will wait till I have means to play the Special Edition.

Great interview. The insight on DMC3 is particularly interesting, that one has to be my favorite one of the series.
  • Avatar for presidentcamacho #9 presidentcamacho 3 years ago
    Itsuno is very under appreciated as a director. DMC2 aside (which he really had limited control over, all things considered), his games are among my favorites. CvS2 is still probably my favorite fighting game.Edited July 2015 by presidentcamacho

Comments