Last week, Sony and Naughty Dog announced that The Last of Us Part 2 had been indefinitely delayed. Citing logistical concerns around the outbreak of COVID-19, Naughty Dog Vice President Neil Druckmann recently discussed more about the delay and the sequel's current state of readiness.
In an interview with the PlayStation Blogcast, Druckmann says he shares fan disappointment over the delay. "We're just as disappointed, if not moreso, to not be able to get the game out on time," says Druckmann. Regarding the current state of The Last of Us Part 2, he adds, "it's there.
"We're at the one-yard line, I would say. There's still some bugs that we're finding that we're squashing; we want to polish it as much as we can. Taking our time to review each section and making sure it's all Naughty Dog quality."
As for when the delay might end, things are changing from day to day. "Well, there hasn't been a final decision yet," Druckmann says. "Right now we're just reacting. You know, it's a different retail chain—whether we could get physical copies to people. What is the internet infrastructure there to support it in all countries? This is a worldwide game that people in every country are waiting for, and we want to make sure we're fair."
This is the second delay for The Last of Us Part 2, after its initial launch was bumped back to May 29, 2020. It's unclear now when the anticipated sequel might launch, though recent reports prior to the delay indicated Naughty Dog had been crunching to meet the May deadline. Druckmann does say that Naughty Dog employees are being given time to take care of themselves and their families, as the studio has transitioned to remote work.
The Last of Us Part 2 was delayed alongside Iron Man VR, citing logistical issues due to the ongoing global crisis. They are two of several delays due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and are likely to not be the last.