You can technically get through The Last of Us Part 2 with little more than a knife and a pistol, though it'd be pretty difficult. Instead, you'll need to make use of all of the weapons and tools available to you, giving you the ability to adapt to any situation that comes your way. To help you get your hands on these tools of destruction we've put together a weapons list and locations guide. We'll list every weapon in the game and then tell you some of the places you can put them up.
SPOILER WARNING: In this guide we have detailed locations and chapters featured in The Last of Us 2. While we have kept major spoilers out of this guide, there are details on general story direction and playable characters. We recommend proceeding with care.
On this page:
- The Last of Us Part 2 Weapons List
- Where to Get the Bow
- How to Get the Pump-Action Shotgun
- Where to Get the Silenced SMG
- Where to Get the Hunting Pistol
- Double Barrel Shotgun Location
- How to Get the Flamethrower
- How to Get the Crossbow
- What Is the Best Weapon in The Last of Us Part 2
The Last of Us Part 2 Weapons List
By our count, there are 12 weapons in The Last of Us Part 2, some of which can be shared between both main playable characters. We've listed them below alongside some info on where to get them, as well as which character can use them. We'll go into some more detail on each below.
- Semi Auto Pistol (Ellie) - available from the start.
- Bolt Action Rifle (Ellie) - available from the start.
- Revolver (Ellie) - received at the end of the Jackson chapter.
- Bow (Ellie) - Hillcrest area, kill Boris the Clicker (more info below).
- Pump-Action Shotgun (Ellie) - Underground Bank during Seattle Day One, open the bank vault.
- Silenced SMG (Ellie) - received halfway through the Santa Barbara section, received during a cutscene.
- Semi Auto Pistol (Abby) - available from the start.
- Hunting Pistol (Abby) - found during Seattle Day One. The big win safe (more info below).
- Double Barrel Shotgun (Abby) - vase store, during Seattle Day One.
- Flamethrower (Abby) - During The Descent chapter.
- Crossbow (Abby) - aboard the cruise ship as part of the The Coast chapter.
- Semi-Auto Rifle (Abby) - available from the start.
Where to Get the Bow
To get the bow in The Last of Us Part 2 you will need to reach Hillcrest as Ellie. This area is littered with notes that describe a man named Boris, who is apparently extremely good with a bow. While attempting to reach the stairs to leave Hillcrest, you'll go through a building where Boris is hiding. He is unfortunately a clicker now, so kill him and take the bow. Sorry Boris.
How to Get the Pump-Action Shotgun
There are actually a couple of places you can get the shotgun as Ellie. The earliest is in the Underground Bank area during Seattle Day One. Head into the bank and clear out the infected. There's a note right next to a vault with the combination. The shotgun is inside.
Where to Get the Silenced SMG
The Silenced SMG is found during the Santa Barbara chapter at the end of the game. If you progress normally as Ellie, you will find it. It is obtained during an unmissable cutscene.
Where to Get the Hunting Pistol
While playing as Abby during Seattle Day One, you'll move through a warehouse where a ship is being built. There are two small buildings as you exit, one has a safe in it. We have more info on this in our Safe Guide, including the safe combination to open it.
Double Barrel Shotgun Location
You will absolutely want to make sure you pick up the shotgun while playing as Abby. During Seattle Day One, you'll come across a row of shops, one of them being a vase shop. The shotgun can be found in there, it's hard to miss.
How to Get the Flamethrower
During The Descent, which finds Abby and Lev making their way down the tall apartment building after falling from a crane, look out for a Flamethrower tucked away on the floor with two shamblers. It's in the room where Abby is wearing her gas mask, we've included an image above.
How to Get the Crossbow
To get the crossbow, reach The Coast chapter while playing as Abby. You'll enter an abandoned boat. Check out the image above and note the corridor you'll need to find. The crossbow is at the end of this hallway.
What Is the Best Weapon in The Last of Us Part 2
The best weapon in The Last of Us Part 2 is easily the crossbow. It's completely silent and doesn't need to be drawn like Ellie's bow. If you snag a headshot, there's a good chance the bolt can be retrieved, and it'll be a one hit kill to the chest or head for most enemies. Ellie's best weapon is the bow, especially if you upgrade it to get the auto distance marker, which will show you exactly where to aim at any distance.
There's plenty more on The Last of Us Part 2 right here on USG. Kat wrote about how it's a dark counterpart to Animal Crossing New Horizons. Elsewhere there's our review.