The USgamer Podcast: PUBG Makes Its Big, Messy Console Debut

PODCAST | The crew talks Breath of the Wild's fresh DLC, Predator sneaking into Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and PUBG's new port and map.

Article by Caty McCarthy, .

The USgamer Podcast is our weekly flagship podcast that is updated every Wednesday. You can find the previous episodes here.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has been the biggest sensation of the year, and this past week it's gotten two big things: a new map in the original PC version, and its first console port in its Xbox One version. In the latest episode of The USgamer Podcast, we talk about the changes. Also this week, Caty, Mike, and Nadia muse about Breath of the Wild's DLC, the Switch passing a major milestone, and more (download link here)!

Somehow, we escaped talking about PSX and The Game Awards this week, maybe because both events are so far off in our minds at this point. Instead, we gaze ahead towards the future: towards the likes of Breath of the Wild's hard DLC, PUBG on Xbox One, and Predator in... Ghost Recon Wildlands? That can't be right. Oh, it is right.

Want to share thoughts of your own? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net. We may read your letter on the show!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Mike, Nadia, and Caty get together to discuss this week's news, including the Switch selling 10 million [02:37]. But mostly we talk about the new Zelda DLC [35:56], the hidden gem ECHO [46:22], and the kinda-rough port of PUBG on Xbox One, along with its new map on PC [53:57]. Plus: unexpected PC games are being ported to the Switch like Wasteland 2 [08:32], and Predator is going to be in Ghost Recon Wildlands for some reason, which leads everyone waaay off topic by accident [24:54].

Music for The USgamer Podcast is provided courtesy of Slime Girls. Make sure to check out their full album Don't Forget here!

Caty is my hero lol. Nier Automata is GOTY and Echo is a great little gem of a game. I'm about halfway through also and it's really unique and cool.
    Well Caty, everything is at a lower volume, but we're sure you can do better next time. Hopefully you can get those computer problems fixed.One day you will master Garage Band and Audacity.
    Caty is the hot take queen at this point. So many contrarian opinions. I dig it.
    OK LEMME JUST LAY DOWN THE LAW HERE ONCE AND FOR ALL:

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark > The Last Crusade > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull > Temple of Doom

Jurassic Park > The Lost World > Jurassic World > Jurassic Park III

Predator is the only Predator movie, Predator 2 never happened, Predators never happened, AvP never happened, none of them ever happened.

DID I MISS ANYTHING HERE? Because if I didn't then you may now refer to this comment as a primary source of law to use for future reference for all other podcasts.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #5 donkeyintheforest 2 months ago
    It's interesting hearing your discussions about BotW. I kinda hated the all dark area that you all loved. I also love the ball rolling puzzles. I really liked the DLC. I thought is wasn't drastically different than the main game, but I loved that too. Killing guardians on a motorcycle is so much fun.

I think it just speaks to Nintendo's technique with both BotW and Odyssey: give players a variety of content and overwhelm them with so much of it that there is enough of it to make a full game for people who like any number of styles of play.
    I'm with Nadia - Crystal Skulls is way better than Temple of Doom (even though like her I have zero interest in watching it again). I'd actually put Jurassic Park 3 above World, and World above Park 2 (which really did zip for me). At least 3 had *some* feathers on their dinos.
    Not only did THQNordic put out a new version of Titan Quest, they announced and released a Norse expansion not long after, an expansion for an eleven year old game. In the story of IPs going to new owners, they are killing it.
    @riderkicker The audio level was way low. Wouldn't be so bad if my Google Maps lady wasn't so loud in contrast.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #9 The-Challenger 2 months ago
    The audio level on this podcast is all over the place...but it's always like that. I just crank up my speakers volume.
    I'm just shocked about the performance of PUBG on Xbox One, even though 1 it is not a pretty game, mostly empty space with lots of foliage, and not many gimmicks. It has the impression of being something like a MMO San Andreas. I guess the game is more complicated than most of the AAA games today. I hope they fix it even if graphics take a hit.
    The audio was fine on the previous episodes. It's this entire episode that had poor audio quality. It's extremely quiet.
    Hey all, wanted to apologize again for the crummy quality on this episode. Just in case anyone didn't read the body of the podcast above, this was my first time editing *any* podcast, it took me well over five hours to do in the first place, and it was sounding fine on my headphones before I exported. Somewhere along the way though, I obviously messed something up. This is 100 percent my bad. Kat will be back editing it next week, and it will be undoubtedly better because it won't be me fumbling with step-by-step instructions. My apologies again, I feel really awful about it and it's been gnawing away at me all week. ): Thanks for listening anyways y'all.

Here's what I wrote above in the piece too, for those who don't want to scroll up: "Editor's Note (from Caty): Kat's out this week, so I was tasked with learning the ropes of editing the podcast for the first time. Consequently, the audio levels are way too low for some reason (or at least they look it from the SoundCloud upload). My apologies for that! Also if there's anything else wrong with the upload, please let me know in the comments! I'm new to this whole audio-editing thing. I'm also a dinosaur who edits from GarageBand. (Hopefully that will change, eventually.)"
    @catymcc No worries, I'm sure that you'll get the hang of it. It was just painful when the Google Maps voice screamed at me, since I had to turn the volume up excessively for the podcast. I muted Maps voice.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #14 SatelliteOfLove 2 months ago
    There are two Alien movies.

There are two Terminator movies.

There is one Predator movie.
    @catymcc it happens - my first video project was also abnormally quiet! The subsequent ones have been fine - I'm sure your next go at editing will work out.
  • Avatar for blueberryboll #16 blueberryboll 2 months ago
    Hey now, Jurassic World was not as stupid as people say and really fun for cheesy movie lovers. It addressed why the dinos don't have feathers (They are actually dino-frog hybrids, and the Isla Sorna raptors did have feathers since I guess they could salvage that DNA sequence for them). It's unironic but self-aware in how it actively pokes fun at the production of blockbuster action-movies and hardcore fans. Who can't love a movie where a major plot point is the army trying to use Dinosaurs as weapons? So stupid
    @SatelliteOfLove resurrection and covenant? ;D
    @Jonnyboy407 I consider Resurrection to actually be the sequel to "City of Lost Children." At least that's my head canon.
    @catymcc It's all good, it was listenable just fine, editing was good, just had to turn the knob a little more than normal. It's honestly a good argument for the annoyance that is Android's lack of an actual audio mixer so Google Maps lady was yelling at me.
    Also, finally started Nier. That was the most entertaining first hour of a game ever. Also, managed to commit suicide by selling my OS chip. Whoops...Edited December 2017 by Pandalulz

Comments