Sometimes mods go way beyond what is in the original game, like replacing the Deathclaws in Fallout 4 with Randy Savage. Not this time, as a brand new version of a mod for The Witcher 3 overhauls the graphics for CD Projekt RED's game.
The "Witcher 3 HD Rework Version 5.1" is out right now on Nexus. The project was started by user "Halk Hogan" all the way back in November 2015, and version 5.1 is just the latest iteration.
There are two requirements for the HD Rework project to work for The Witcher 3: Drax's Enhanced ReShade, and Hollywood Movie Dynamics. After this, as long as your PC has at least 2GB VRAM and GTX 970/AMD R9 290X or newer, you can run the improved version of The Witcher 3 without any hitches.
So what's actually been improved with the HD Rework Version 5.1 for The Witcher 3? In the words of Halk Hogan themselves, the main objects, items, and materials that have been updated are:
- All 3D Rocks and most Small Stones, Power Stones
- Almost all Rivers and Streams on every area with Realtime Reflections
- A lot of Stone Walls
- Stone Stairs, Stone Borders
- Red Bricks
- A lot of Wood and Wood Objects
- Waterfalls and some other Water Effects
- Vegetation (Spruces, Pines, Ivy and more)
- Roofs (Thatched, Ceramic)
- Palisades, Palisade Gates, Wood Logs, Trunks
- A lot of Misc Stuff (Sacks, Braziers, Windows, Bear Furs, Harbour Ropes, Anchors, Metal Cages, Torches, Fishing Nets, Books, Bottles, Scrolls and more)
- Some Ground Textures
- Puddles, Water in Sewers, Ponds, Brooks
- Various Textures (Moss, Seaweeds, Dirt, Grain, Hay and more)
- Animals (Sheep)
Just below, you can check out a few screenshots of the update in action:
If you're looking for more on The Witcher 3 here at USgamer, we've got plenty of in depth guides on CD Projekt RED's massive game. Head over to our best Witcher 3 weapons and armor guide, or our complete Witcher 3 secrets page, for a detailed look at some hidden aspects of the world.