USgamer Community Question: What Game Would you Love to see Remastered in HD?

Imagine you had a one-shot chance of giving an old game a modern-day HD makeover. What game would you choose, and why? We'd love to know!

Article by USgamer Team, .

Oooooooooh, this one's a doozy. The ground rules are simple: USG's resident Magical Genie has promised to wave her magical wand over any game you nominate, instantly granting it stunning, top-of-the-line, 1080p HD graphics and state-of-the-art sound.

Whatever your game is, you can be guaranteed that it'll be an absolute beaut.

However, there is a catch: No change will be made to the gameplay at all. This is purely a cosmetic makeover, so choose wisely! While you ponder which old game you'd love to see brought back to life with killer audio-visuals, here are Team USG's picks.

Jeremy Parish Editor-in-Chief

I mean, no surprises here, right? Of course I was going to say Final Fantasy XII. It's a no-brainer for me.

I love FFXII — I spent something like 100 hours with the game, and I'd still be playing it if I had anything like free time. And, er, if my backward-compatible PS3 hadn't given up the ghost. What better justification for an HD remaster than that?

But there's more to it than my own obsessive tendencies and convenience. For starters, Square has reissued pretty much every single Final Fantasy game prior to FFXII — FFXI excepted, given that as an MMO it's still an ongoing concern — so FFXII is next in line. And unlike many HD remasters, FFXII wouldn't break the bank for Square Enix; back at GDC 2007, the FFXII art team showed off the super-high-resolution art assets they used and downsampled for the PS2 game. The HD version is pretty much already sitting there in their servers! They just need to put a fancy PS4 (or Vita, one hopes?) wrapper around it and we're good.

There's also another compelling reason for a Final Fantasy XII remaster: The original game was a bit of a mess in places, and it's already been fixed. In Japan, and Japan only, a revision of the game called the International Zodiac Job Version appeared after the U.S. release of FFXII, and it totally overhauled the class system and license board. By all accounts, it's the definitive way to play FFXII, and Americans have never (legally) been able to play it in their own language. A remaster would be a great opportunity for Square Enix to rectify this wrong.

And really, don't you think I should be allowed to add one last Final Fantasy to my Vita home screen?

Jaz Rignall Editor-at-Large

I had to think long and hard about this one. There are so many games I'd love to see updated with cutting-edge graphics, but when I really think about most of them - and I'm talking old stuff - their old-fashioned gameplay would probably frustrate or bore me after a while.

However, one old game I do think I'd go back to and thoroughly enjoy is Rare's Blast Corps. It has a difficulty level typical of a Rare game - ie, very hard - but even so, its fundamentals are sound. Keeping your nuclear missile safe as it trundles inexorably towards its goal is still an entertaining concept. The handling and functionality of the different vehicles is geared for fun, and of course, the game's action is still frantic and stressful - in the right kind of way.

When I initially thought about it, my memory of the game was of it having top-notch graphics, so I was concerned that I'd be wasting my "wish." But when I checked it out, I realized the last time I looked at it was probably 16 years ago, and what was good then certainly is not good now. Fuzzy textures, dubious clipping points, a distinct lack of detail and animation: this game looks very dated now. But underneath the smudgy cosmetics is classic, so switch them out with HD buildings and landscape, super-detailed vehicles, and awesome animation and effects, and I think you'd have a brilliant game that'd be just as fresh now as it was back in the latter years of the last century.

Just bring your A-game, because it won't be easy.

Mike Williams Associate Editor

If we're mining the past and shining things up at the same time, I'm going to ask for an HD remaster of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Bioware's RPG set in a galaxy far, far away was the game that brought me into their fold. Prior to that, I had heard of the Baldur's Gate games, but I was never a huge Dungeon & Dragons fan, so I quietly skipped them. Having gone back after the fact, I'd say that was my loss.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was a complete eye-opener, drawing players into a galactic conflict of Jedi and Sith with their amnesiac main character at the center. This was my introduction to Western RPGs altogether and it was an amazing one. Strong characters, heady choices, and the romance; KOTOR defined what a Bioware game was for me.

Since then, the studio has undeniably improved their presentation with Mass Effect and Dragon Age and that expertise can be brought to bear on Knights of the Old Republic. Seriously, imagine those great KOTOR moments with the technology and cinematic knowhow of Bioware today. Revan, Bastila, HK-47, Jolee Bindo, Darth Malak, and the rest of the cast with improved character models? The final moments on Taris in full HD? Day-one purchase for me.

And if they wanted to do Knights of the old Republic II at the same time, I wouldn't be opposed.

Kat Bailey Senior Editor

There you go, Final Fantasy fans. I want a remake of Final Fantasy VII. Feel free to exhume the debate that everyone has been having ever since Cloud leapt off the train in that fully-remastered PlayStation 3 tech demo from 2005. You know which side I'm on now.

I'm now come almost full circle in my opinion on Final Fantasy VII. Back in 1999, I was firmly convinced that it was the finest RPG ever made, and that there wasn't any contest. Then in 2003 or so, I became convinced that it was a fine game, but that it was desperately overrated. Now I'm back to liking it again, if only because I appreciate what it accomplished back in 1997.

While I can admire it in the abstract though, I have a hard time playing it anymore. Frankly, between the disjointed art styles, the bad localization, the somewhat plodding pace, and the nearly impenetrable story (at least for anyone not willing to delve into the source material), it simply hasn't aged terribly well. I've picked it up again once or twice on a lark in the years since college, but I've nearly always put it down again soon after.

A good HD remake would do a lot to bring out the best elements of Final Fantasy VII; provided, of course, that it didn't end up going full Advent Children (always a danger with a remake like this). Apart from the improved graphics, I would love for a remake that could do more to elaborate on the often confusing story, build on the entertaining but somewhat simplistic Materia System, and pick up the pace just a bit. And, of course, bonus content would be welcome as well.

All I would ask would be that they not mess with the ending too much, which was pretty much perfect. Also, let Rufus stay dead, please. Seriously, Advent Children ruined everything.

Anyway, I know that my desire for a Final Fantasy VII remake is mostly me pining for the late 90s, when anime was just being to blow up, there were only 151 Pokemon, and the Star Wars prequels had unlimited potential. I know that a lot of it is nostalgia and that particular moment in gaming history is gone forever. But just once, I would like to play Final Fantasy VII as I remember it: big, beautiful, and incredibly ambitious. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to settle for the modded version on PC.

Bob Mackey Senior Writer

Full disclosure: I was going to make my pick Final Fantasy IX, but seeing as Jeremy and Kat already chose installments from this series, I don't want to run the risk of our readers thinking we have secret ties to Square-Enix—or that we're a bunch of hopeless RPG nerds (even if we are).

So, I'll go with choice number two: Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari, which could presumably find their way into some sort of bundle pack to make the prospect of playing old games more appealing.

Why these two games out of all the others I could have chosen? Well, 2005's We Love Katamari is criminally unavailable on PSN, almost as if the publisher just wants us to forget those brief moments when they weren't a Naruto factory. But really, even with its simple geometry and flat-shaded polygons, both Katamari games pushed the limits of what the PS2 could do, and suffered a little at times for their ambition. I'm not sure if you've tried these games on an HDTV lately, but they seem to run at a resolution even lower than the system's standard, simply for the sake of having a bunch of crazy crap happen on your screen at once. My HD treatment wouldn't be that ambitious: refit these games for the 16:9 aspect ratio, get them running on new consoles and the PC. If Bandai-Namco hurries, they can get this thing out before the 10th anniversary of the sequel.

An HD remaster for Katamari would really be for the sake of preservation. The handful of sequels without the creator's input may make us forget just how much of an impact the first Katamari made, but there's a reason the first two games receive so much praise from press and fans alike. And with our current gen's continued focus on Hollywood glitz and glamour, I think we could all use a little madcap fun with the Prince of All Cosmos and his rolling ball of death.

• Avatar for TheLostSkeleton #1 TheLostSkeleton 3 years ago
    Jurassic Park: Trespasser.

I feel like the game's biggest shortcoming was that it was too far ahead of basically everything. Trespasser tried to do stuff that most other games didn't attempt until nearly a decade after its release. Bleeding edge doesn't even begin to describe what that game was.

And for that, it paid the ultimate price, because it was a collection of stuff that nobody was ready for. The developers weren't ready, the consumers weren't ready, it was a mess. But a really interesting mess.

Going back and giving that game an HD do-over might actually give us a Jurassic Park game worth playing.

Failing that, I'd kill for a version of Super Mario 64 that looked like 3D World.Edited September 2014 by TheLostSkeleton
  • Avatar for danger.to.others #2 danger.to.others 3 years ago
    While I'm likely not being as imaginative as some people will come up with, I would buy Hitman: Absolution and Splinter Cell: Blacklist, if they hit PS4. (I know especially Splinter Cell could never happen, since it didn't sell and they seem to be moving all their great gameplay ideas over into Assassin's Creed: Unity)
    And I'm talking true remasters. Put in the work, like with Tomb Raider.
    Especially Blacklist. I think it's excellent and my favorite Splinter Cell in the series, but it really pushed the old hardware.
    Ported up with sharper textures and a higher framerate would make it near perfect. It's only problems, for me, were spots here and there where it seemed like too much for the old systems.
    As a reboot, I'd love to see the original Bloodrayne made with modern graphics and level design, but that same crazy gameplay.
  • Avatar for RorschachCCCLX #3 RorschachCCCLX 3 years ago
    I'd say Baldur's Gate II run on the pillars of eternity engine.
    I miss the days of giant, open ended RPGs with no hand holding or funneling towards the game's high points. What I loved about Baldur's Gate ( I & II) was it more or less left it to you to have those moments of thrilling triumph as a hair brained strategy pays off with a lucky roll of the di. Even the scripted elements had some degree of player agency attached, you could decide to redeem the soul of a party member who betrayed you by removing the curse on his heart, or you could let him rot in hell for his sins against you, the choice was yours. There were echoes of this in KOTOR and Mass Effect.
    It wasn't without its frustrations, but I'd love to see this, arguably the best western RPG ever, given the full HD make over. (And no, I don't mean the enhanced edition).
    Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica packaged together like Final Fantasy X&X-2. I still think back to these games when I want a RE fix, but the visuals are so outdated now. I'm sure there would be interest in these from older fans and a new visual still might bring on the younglings. I really liked Operation Racoon City, which revisited Racoon City during the outbreak, but I would love to return to the original characters and story.
    Since I've been on a bit of a Saturn kick lately, I'll nominate one of the holy grails of that system - Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Not that it'll ever happen, as there's the infamous rumor of Sega losing the source code for the game. It'd just be nice to make it available to a wider audience if nothing else.
    @USDanny I'd love a HD Resident Evil 2. It's my favorite in the series but I haven't played it since the 90s.
    I'd rather have Final Fantasy XII on Vita than any HD console, really.
    GunValkyrie. I feel like I loved that game waaaay more than any rational person should lol. I'd pay for an HD version in a heartbeat.Edited September 2014 by BabyChooChoo
  • Avatar for Happy-Mask-Salesman #9 Happy-Mask-Salesman 3 years ago
    Space Station Silicon Valley. I loved that game and would love to play it again in HD. The end.
    Dark Cloud 2
  • Avatar for SigurdVolsung #12 SigurdVolsung 3 years ago
    I'll go with Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy XII, or Legend of Dragoon.
  • Avatar for transmet2033 #13 transmet2033 3 years ago
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes... and while there at it I guess that I wouldn't complain about the other two games in the trilogy.
    I echo Parish's sentiments exactly. I'm even in the same boat, with my old PS3 having died last year, leaving me unable to play PS2 games. It is, simply put, the greatest FF game ever, and it would be a joy to play on Vita.

Also with Mike on KOTOR. I'm finally getting around to Mass Effect, and instead of enjoying it, it only makes me wish I was playing KOTOR.

And I'm still disappointed that those Shenmue HD (and Skies of Arcadia!) rumors never amounted to anything. That's more of a nostalgia thing, but I'd still love to revisit them in HD.

All in all, I'd say we have a really great selection of HD remasters though. It was easily my favorite trend of last gen.
    Ultima Underworld. There are plenty of classic Ultima games, but Underworld brought it into first-person 3D and would benefit the most from a modern remake.

And it's not like EA is doing much with the Ultima name now that that iPad game is being shut down.
    Vagrant Story. It's still one of my all time favorite games, and would look incredible with high rez graphics and/or shorter loading screens.
    I'd love Dragon Quest VIII in HD—specifically for the Vita, but I'd take a PS4 cross-buy!
  • Avatar for davidwurzel94 #18 davidwurzel94 3 years ago
    Ha! I was just listening to Jeremy discuss the prospect of a FFXII HD re-release on the Yasumi Mitsuno-focused episode of Retronauts during my commute home today. It's one of my favorite entries in the franchise, and I'd love to revisit it in high def.

As for my nomination for an HD remaster? Killer 7, without a doubt.

Due to its bizarre, sparse, flat-shaded visuals, I can't help but think that K7 look quite nice in 1080p. More importantly, however, a K7 HD re-release would also serve as a nice reminder that, once upon a time, Suda 51 actually made a game worth playing.

...and while we're on the subject of the Capcom 5, where the hell is my Viewtiful Joe HD? Henshin-a-go-go make that shiz, already, Capcom!
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #19 renatocosta90 3 years ago
    My one wish was Pathologic, and Ice-Pick Lodge has just announced a full on remake. So, I really don't know what I should pick right now. I'll be over here really really giddy right now.
    @danger.to.others Blacklist was so goddamn good and I'm sad no one played it.
    While Alien Soldier would look and sound insane (Runner: AD2025 is one of my favorite game songs ever), I must insist: I would give blood o see an HD version of Gunstar Heroes.

Boktai? Phantasy Star II? Shining Force 2? Sorry--you may be my favorite games, but there's no replacement for Seven Force in full HD.

... Except for maybe Astro Boy: Omega Factor in HD... dammit! Now I'm torn!
    I would love to see Mario 64 recreated in the 3D World engine, Maybe a Galaxy 1/2 collection. I really want older stuff, nothing that was actually HD to start with is worth it if you ask me. The only reason to remaster them is so you don't have to hook up your old system since BC is dead. Final Fantasy 9 I think could get a good remaster given its art style.
    There aren't too many games that I want to see remastered mostly because I don't feel the need to go back to the past too often. I do replay some games though, but even then, I'm comfortable with the dated-ness. I can move last it and enjoy the core.

That said, I thought of one example: Chrono Cross. If there's a game that could be a candidate for a remaster or remake, it has to be my favorite RPG ever made and one of the games you can tell was left incomplete. CC is that game. Re-do the graphics and fix the framerate and maybe get Mitsuda to do some new songs for the new scenes they have to add! I would pay over $100 for this.

Runner Up: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. They're essentially the same game with a continued storyline. Both games remastered please because Radiant Dawn is out of print and probably the best Fire Emblem that I never finished.

Third place: Front Mission 5. ;-;
    Majora's Mask
    So many good choices! While I love space sims and I think games like the original Wing Commander could really benefit from true 3D and surround sound (maybe even displaying localized damage like blast marks on the ships), space will always look a little sparse. So I'm going with something different: Psychonauts.

Psychonauts had a great art style, music, and voice acting, all of which would benefit from a more modern presentation. Also, I still don't think it ever reached as big of an audience as it deserved. Personally, I'd like an excuse to play it again because I didn't play it under ideal conditions the first time. I ran a port of it on a PC that was having some issues, so I played with a keyboard in low resolution. And it was still an awesome game! One of my most proud gaming accomplishments was beating the meat circus on a keyboard.
  • Avatar for dangalloway15 #26 dangalloway15 3 years ago
    valkyrie profile
    @kat.bailey I can't see any way for an FFVII remake to be anything but a tragedy. Square Enix seems to have totally forgotten the absurd humor that made that game so charming in the first place. Rather than have the entire world misremember FFVII, I'd actually rather see it fade into obscurity.

My choice for an HD Remake is an odd one. I want Square Enix to re-release Final Fantasy XIII for the PS4 as a remastered title. I still think the battle system in that game was a stroke of genius; there are a few small things they could do to make the rest of the game more enjoyable. They should overhaul the opening acts of the game to render the customizable battle party and full crystarium available sooner. Add in some branching paths and pepper the world with Ci'eth missions. Expand the quest log from 64 to, say, 200. Add more areas to Gran Pulse. Call it Final Fantasy XIII-2! Oh wait...Edited September 2014 by Vinheimer
    @TheLostSkeleton I'll support you on this, I bought it and loved almost every minute of it (except for the overly long and tedious key and secret door hunting in the town). It really felt like an outdoor adventure on a hot sunny island.

My own personal vote is for Stunt Island, though I'd imagine the sheer number of assets needed to make it convincing looking with modern graphics would be almost too much.
    I would love a KOTOR remake. God I wish we could get a KOTOR 3.
    If there's any game I would love to see get the full on HD treatment, it's Jet Set Radio Future. It fixed a lot of the little issues with Jet Set/Grind Radio and went for a more sandbox-ish style of gameplay, which fits a lot better with the level designs. It's a lot easier to keep up momentum with tricks and boosts, rail grinding requires way less pixel perfect aiming, and you can unlock a mummy with a bowler hat and Egyptian bling as a playable character. I love it.

Even something as simple as a more solid framerate and a resolution boost would be welcome.
    Tough choice. Pretty much anything on N64 could use this treatment but I guess I'll go with Mario 64. The graphics in that game were breathtaking when it came out, but not so much now. The older 8-bit and 16-bit Mario games still look great today and I think Mario 64 deserves that also.
    I'm guessing the article is talking about an HD port where they just re-render the game at a higher resolution right? Not a complete remake of the game with a new graphics engine. There needs to be some clarification there.

Out of the ones mentioned in the article I'd be the most likely to jump on FFXII assuming it get's the same amount of work FFX had put into it. FFVII would be an extremely difficult HD remake because almost none of its original assets are re-usable. You can't just make pre-rendered backgrounds from 1997 look like they're HD. Asking for a new FFVII is basically asking for an entirely new game. The same problem faces Resident Evil 2.

As for my own pick, I would say the Crysis series.

The Crysis games are supposed to be visual showcases but had to have those visuals severely cut down when they made the transition to consoles. None of the three main Crysis games had any business trying to run on the PS3 or Xbox 360. Porting those games (as well as Warhead) to PS4 and Xbox One would yield graphics much closer to the PC versions, which still hold up to next-gen standards.
    Onimusha trilogy.
    @MetManMas But they took out the time limits and graffiti spray controls... That was half the game-play, I never felt any sort of challenge in JSRF. In the original, you were contstantly being chased by the cops, it wasn't perfect by any means, but they should have tried harder to fix it as a mechanic, rather than axe it completely.
    I would love a HD remakes of the Front Mission numbered series. Its a series that was probably to ambitious and over the head of the heads of the western audiences the series creator had hoped for at its inception. With how the stories and cause and effect of how those stories concluded you can really grasp the narrative and world that game built up, but only if you could play through the entire series.
    A proper overhaul of Secret of Mana, with all the content cut by the shift from SNES CD-ROM to cart restored.

LSD Dream Simulator. It's messed up enough with mere PS1 graphics, so imagine the potential with a modern upgrade...

Honourable mentions go to Metroid 2, Mario 64, and Xenoblade.
    F-Zero GX. Easily the best game of the series and given that for some reason Nintendo just refuses to develop more games on it, I would just settle for having an HD port.
    @docexe Unfortunately, I don't believe that the last couple of F-Zero games sold very well. The fact that GX was hard as sin and AX wasn't accessible enough to people for all those linked goodies made the whole thing a bit of a flop. Shame, too. It was a terrific game, even if I only managed to beat a grand prix on normal once...
    I'm not usually one for HD remakes. I like to think that a game's graphics are a good marker of its place in time. Plus I like those old styles, even if they were blocky and undetailed.

But if I were pressed for a game that should be remade in HD, let's go with Starfox 64, itself a remake of the original. Update the graphics, improve the controls and sounds, and give us more stages and play modes. Heck, give the option to play cooperatively online. I don't think anyone would complain.
    Onimusha or Final Fantasy XII.
  • Avatar for floydferrera #41 floydferrera 3 years ago
    Eternal Darkness.
    A success of an HD remake might finally lead to a sequel/successor.
    Even the PC version of KOTOR requires a crazy mod downloading, .exe file replacing shenanigans to get running in 1080p widescreen, so even us PC guys could really use a remastered version of that.

I also concur with FFXII, but only because I haven't really had a chance to play it--it just came out too late in the PS2's life cycle for me feel good about laying down the money at the time.
  • Avatar for PsychicPumpkin #43 PsychicPumpkin 3 years ago
    I'd like any or all Dragon Quest games remade in modern HD glory.Beautifully recreated Toriyama art with slightly updated old school JRPG play style.
    Final Fantasy XII. Hands down for me. Final Fantasy VII and IX (as mentioned) only if the style used is in the vein of the Tales Series...Cel shading seems like it would be most economical and also the most logical way to re-create the cartoony worlds and feel of these games. Just my opinion.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #45 ShadowTheSecond 3 years ago
    @MHWilliams @danger.to.others

I picked up Blacklist for $15ish at Best Buy last month, and I regret not picking it up earlier. It's so good! Yet I didn't remember it getting any attention at the time, despite being an excellent cross between the greatness of Chaos Theory and some of the best parts of Conviction... Definitely has amazingly long load times on WiiU though,

On the subject of HD remakes, I nominate Chrono Cross. While it isn't the best game of all time, it's still a great game with one of my favorite battle systems and a great soundtrack. And no, I didn't play Chrono Trigger until afterwards.Edited September 2014 by ShadowTheSecond
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #46 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 years ago
    Others have said Super Mario 64, but I have to go with Super Mario 64... DS.

The added content and playable characters make this the must-upgrade version of the game for me. Ideally they'd add even more in an HD release, but they don't have to, and according to the rules of this, they can't anyway.

I'm hoping that "retaining the option to play with original N64-style controls" doesn't violate the spirit of that, though. Even so, Super Mario 3D World runs well enough with eight directions and a run button and I got along fine on it, so there's that.

If for some reason that's no good, Mega Man Legends would be a good go-to, though I'm not sure some people would acclimate as well to the controls, so I'm not sure it's as good a fit here.
    I know I go beyond old-school here, but I'd really like to see an upgraded, modernized version of Elite. The freedom of that game, with proper graphics, would be unbelievable.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #48 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    @whitestreak Man, do I have some good news for you. Look up our Elite: Dangerous previews....
    I'm with Jeremy on Final Fantasy XII. It's my favorite post-SNES FF game, and since my launch PS3 took a dive a few years ago I've been itching to play it while my unusable copy stares me in the face.
    Twice now, I've bought games I was only mildly interested in (like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2) knowing that their success would convince their publishers to re-release games that I wanted (like Third Strike Online). I bought the Final Fantasy X HD, great game that it is, hoping for the same thing. Fingers crossed
    This actually brings up a question for everybody: I've always wanted a nice Criterion-like boxed set of the Ivalice games. All of the games imn HD, an Akihiko Yoshida art book, the works. What kind of "gamer boxed set" would you guys want?
    Skies of Arcadia. A wonderful Dreamcast RPG that more people talk about than have actually played. It is a delight and I would kill upwards of three men to see a remastered version on PS4.

Hell, I'd settle for a 3DS remake...
    PS1 & N64 games seem like the best candidates for HD remakes. Early polygon graphics didn't age well at all. How about Jet Force Gemini?

After Microsoft bought Rare, we got a new Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct, and (maybe) a new Conker. I'd like to see Jet Force Gemini added to the list of HD remakes.
  • Avatar for mobilesworking #52 mobilesworking 3 years ago
    At this point I'd settle for a re-release of Suikoden I & II period, but a remake featuring high-resolution sprite art? Well, a man can dream.
    @kidgorilla You can buy a PS2 for cheap.
  • Avatar for phillipstuerzl #54 phillipstuerzl 3 years ago
    Jedi Outcast or Republic Commando.
    Maybe NFS: Most Wanted.
    FF9. There ya go Bob.
  • Avatar for Matt-Liparota #56 Matt-Liparota 3 years ago
    I would love to see every LucasArts point-and-click adventure title get the same treatment as Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2.
    I'll suggest the obligatory Shenmue I & II HD remaster, two historic games bundled together. In a world where almost every game -- good or otherwise -- gets re-released repeatedly, the fact that an important cult series (and a million plus seller) like Shenmue has never been re-released is kind of absurd. Sega should hand off the job to a savvier publisher to get the job done.

Add analogue controls, redo the voice acting or simply use the Japanese audio, and we're good to go.
    Betrayal at Krondor in a nice HD engine with updated soundtrack would be fantastic.
    Shantae. I want to love the first game in the series, but you can barely see around you cause the sprites are big and the screen is small, and there are plenty of bottomless pits that lead to many cheap deaths. A remastering would not only make it prettier, but much more playable to boot.
  • Avatar for IceAlchemist #60 IceAlchemist 3 years ago
    Dungeon Keeper

This is my first post on any website but I could not hold back not to nominate one of my favorite games for an HD remake. It's one of the games I go back to from time to time. It has that endearing dark humor and atmosphere and fun gameplay. Sure they could improve the combat system but combat was not what the game was all about.

To posses a creature and explore the dungeon you had just built all in HD glory would make my day. (And it would help restore Dungeon Keeper's name after the mess on mobile versions)

A very close second would be Thief 2. The thief series is one of my favorite series and the second one is the one I keep coming back from time to time as well.

Classic games in my opinion that thoroughly deserve an HD remake.
    @jeremy.parish

Oh dear. I'll need a new PC then, a high-spec thing, and the missus isn't going to be happy about me spending days and days in outer space.

As the old adage says: be careful what you wish for, it might come true.
  • Avatar for duanethomas01 #62 duanethomas01 3 years ago
    Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon (all of them), Dark Cloud, and I'm with Jeremy Parish on Final Fantasy XII.
    Burning Rangers! If only to be able to play it without forking over three figures...
    @GospelX Yeah, in all honesty, financial concerns might be what put the series on hiatus.

That being said, while GX certainly didn’t lit the charts on fire, I doubt it was considered a flop as it did well enough to be part of the Player’s Choice line. I was under the impression that the ones that didn’t sell well were the GBA games released after GX (GP Legend and Climax). I also read somewhere that Climax was not released in America due to the failure of the Anime tied to GP Legend.

And well, I agree that the difficulty of GX can be nightmarish, but I think high difficulty is part of the charm of the series as a whole. Of course, in this day and age it might need some retuning to not scare away new players unfamiliar with the series. And well, I actually managed to complete all the cups of GX in Standard and at least three on Expert. My brother completed all on Expert and at least one on Master. He also completed all the Story missions on Hard and like five or so on Very Hard. I only managed to complete them in Normal. After that, we agreed that completing the rest of the game in the highest difficulty level would need developing Jedi reflexes.
    @JLateralus : I was really hoping someone would mention this early on, because if they hadn't, it's the game that I was thinking of.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is amazing for its world-building and atmosphere, but it's a game that's tremendously hamstrung by the hardware it's running on. It didn't look bad back in the day, but it has some terrifically poor draw distances, significant polygon warping in the on-foot sections, and just needs a general facelift overall.

It's a testament to the actual game that it still holds up despite the tech. It's the absolutely perfect answer for a game that could use a graphical facelift while still maintaining strong gameplay and atmosphere necessary to keep it more than just a novelty.
  • Avatar for matthewjohnson31 #66 matthewjohnson31 3 years ago
    Skies of Arcadia and Viewtiful Joe, because I missed both of them the first time around. Dragon Quest 8 and SMT Nocturne, because they're probably my two favorite games graphically all these years later. I've seen screenshots of Nocturne emulated on PC and they're marvelous.

As for box sets, the one that comes to mind is Suikoden, with 1, 2, 3, 5, and a letter of apology in place of 4.
    I'm going to say either Zelda 2 or Castlevania 2. I feel like both were pretty great games that were marred by a few solvable problems that make them unpopular today (mostly because they tried to do new things that didn't work 100% well in all cases).

Zelda 2 is pretty easy - you mostly just need to smooth the difficulty curve (hello Death Mountain) and make everything pretty. Maybe add in some of those giant bosses Miyamoto says he wished were in the game :P I kind of feel like it might be worthwhile to add in a couple of the more common Zelda tropes too that were missing, like Rupees and Bombs and such. Thought that would mean restructuring a lot of the game (but honestly, with Nintendo I would be surprised if they didn't... look at Metroid: Zero Mission for example).

Castlevania 2 you turn into a modern metroidvania-style game. Fix all the random nonsensical "clues", add bosses to all the mansions and fix the *three* that are there (lolz Grim Reaper who you can completely ignore), and just tighten up everything. And honestly probably just completely replace all the mansions from the ground up. They had pretty awful designs full of too many invisible floors (oh, and remove invisible floors :P)Edited September 2014 by Warlock82
    FFXI. I've played FFXIV on and off on my friend's PS3, but every time it made me wish I was playing FFXI instead, with FFXIV's level of graphics. Sure the simplicity of XIV makes the game a bit more fast-paced, but I'm left pining for thoughtful character-building I put into developing my RDM/NIN. Vana'diel > Eorzea.

2nd choice: Pong HD.
    @pelham123 Yeah, I know the tagging and police resistance had their appeal conceptually, even though the execution was screwy. Still, simplifying graffiti and moving cop battles* off to the side does help make for a faster paced game, and with better mobility and more reliable grinding, part of the fun is figuring out how to get to places to paint.

* Admittedly, neither game handles the cops all that well. In Jet Set Radio they camp near the big tags and in JSRF they're just some thing you have to deal with before you can get back to painting.

Comments