USgamer Community Question: Which 2017 Game Did You Miss out on That You Still Really Want to Play?

Multiple answers are allowed, and probably necessary.

Article by USgamer Team, .

It's the end of the year. Time to look back on your regrets!

Let's start off by casting a dark shadow on something we all love: Video games. 2017 was an insanely good year for games, and every single one of us is mourning at least one game we never got to play. Most of us are mourning several.

How about you? Which 2017 release do you still hope to make time for, my sweet hopeful child?

Mike Williams Editor

OH SO MANY GAMES! 2017 was such a strong year for gaming that there's no real way any one person could've covered everything that deserved it. Caty and I probably played the most games pound-for-pound on the team this year, but even we have huge, glaring holes in our list of games unplayed or unbeaten.

My attention has been focused on reviews, but I've only scratched the surface of games like Nier: Automata, ELEX (eurojank supreme for 2017), SteamWorld Dig 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Tokyo 42, Persona 5, Danganronpa V3, Shadow Tactics, and Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus. I haven't even had the chance to touch games like Lone Echo, Nioh, Cuphead, What Remains of Edith Finch, Hellblade, Hollow Knight, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Pyre.

I can't see myself picking just one game to focus on. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to burn through a bunch of them over the holiday break. Doubtful though. Poor backlog.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

Whew, this was the best and worst year for video games. "Best" because the hits just kept on coming. "Worst" because way too many amazing titles got squished under the hype. RIP.

Off the top of my head, I know for damn sure I need to play Yakuza Kiwami and maybe Zero. Otherwise, I've got Hollow Knight, Pyre, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Danganronpa V3, and about sixty billion games I started this year, but have yet to finish.

Existence is pain, Jerry.

Caty McCarthy Staff Writer

There are many games I started and never finished this year. Divinity: Original Sin 2, Oikospiel, Resident Evil 7, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, ECHO are just a handful I can think of off the top of my head, the latter two are the most recent games I've tried out. I'm not too fond of Hellblade so far (those puzzles, man), but I'm in love with ECHO (that palace, man).

But when it comes to games I really missed, as in I did not play them at all, there's still boat loads. Maybe the one I'm eager to play the most in the coming year is Observer, the cyberpunk horror game from the developers behind the intriguing but flawed Layers of Fear. I'm a sucker for smart horror games and anything the cyberpunk umbrella touches. I've heard good things about Observer in the months since its release. Hopefully one day, I'll actually see it for myself.

Matt Kim News Editor

2017 was such a good year for games that I could probably write a whole feature about the games I missed this year. Off the top of my head I think the two big ones are A Hat in Time, the cute 3D platformer throwback to the Gamecube era of games; and Doki Doki Literature Club.

Doki Doki in particular is one that I've been hearing a lot about as we get closer to the end of the year. Several associates I know who work in the games press have apparently been rushing to beat the anime visual novel before the end of the year, just to see what all the commotion is all about.

For those of you unaware, Doki Doki Literature Club is a anime-inspired visual novel, only not really. I'd tell you more but I've been avoiding spoilers for the game so I actually don't know what that "not really" means. Apparently, Doki Doki is subversive in a way that has left a lot of my colleagues lost for words except to tell me, "you have to play it."

Related Tags

Can I say just say: all of them?

I haven't been able to pick a Switch up yet on the account that I simply do not have the time to invest in a new console right now. Apparently following university courses and needing to write a thesis (and coming up with a subject) takes up a lot of time. Still, that's a lot of games to not touch.

The only big release I did actually play was Metroid, so I'm striking out for:
    ♦ Pokémon (12-year-old me would be ashamed, present me doesn't care)
    ♦ Etrian Odyssey V
    ♦ Several Trails games
    ♦ Finding Paradise (first thing I'm doing during winter break)
    ♦ The entire bloody Switch library
    ♦ Other 3DS titles (Lady Layton, etc.)

It's a good thing for me I hang around the periphery and don't go for the AAA games, eh?
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #2 VotesForCows 2 months ago
    I'm going to say Wolfenstein 2 and ALL of the Switch games since I don't have the system yet. I'll definitely be playing Wolf at some stage, and getting a Switch in April.

@Hoolo Good luck with the thesis - what are you studying? I did a bunch of degrees in psych/neuro, and I remember thinking each time that for the next one I'd be more prepared/stop playing video games/etc, but that never really panned out...
  • Avatar for Fourfoldroot #3 Fourfoldroot 2 months ago
    Well, I wouldn't say it's a regret as it's only recently released, but the game I'd like to play which I haven't yet had the chance to is Tokyo Xanadu Ex+. Deliberately skipped the VITA version but am determined to finished some of the games I've bought before getting this.

Special mention also goes to Hellblade, Nioh and of course Botw and Mario Odyssey given that I haven't yet picked up a Switch. I also regret that I have such limited opportunity to really play Skyrim VR, a game for which I've barely scratched the surface.

Edit: oh, and Ys VIII. Too many games to rememberEdited 2 times. Last edited December 2017 by Fourfoldroot
    As far as 2017 releases I haven't played on PS4 go, NieR:Automata, Nioh, and Everybody's Golf are at the top of my "WANT!" list. Some other games I have a pretty large amount of interest in playing (BTW this is by no means a complete list) are Night in the Woods, Obduction, What Remains of Edith Finch, 2064: Read Only Memories, Thimbleweed Park, Torment: Tides of Numera, Yakuza 0, Elex, Okami HD, and Dragon Quest Heroes 2.

The Sims 4, Cities: Skylines, and Elite: Dangerous are all likely buys when I'm in a sim mood. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus and Persona 5 are both at the top of my "Not really my thing but I'd give it a chance at $20 or less" list. And while Sonic Forces didn't review too well it appears to be popular among the fans so I'm sure I'll be checking it out sooner or later.

As for other systems, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is definitely high on my list. If my Wii U's HDMI port still worked properly and I wasn't planning to get it when I get a Switch, I would've bought it by now. Super Mario Odyssey will get me to buy a Switch sooner rather than later. And I'm sure I'll use Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon as a Gen 7 entry point eventually.
    I only played three 2017 releases this year and that likely won't change by year's end. Zelda which is my GOTY, What Remains of Edith Finch which is very good but misses my top 10, and Wolfenstein 2 which was entertaining but very flawed.

The games I most badly want are:

Nier Automata
    Persona 5 (but I don't have a PS3 or 4 soooo SWITCH IT UP)
    Prey
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Ys VIII
    Nioh
    XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (and XCOM 2...)
    Splatoon 2
    Xenoblade 2
    And anything I missed including the 20 indie games on my wishlist.

I'll have three weeks off from school but I plan on spending that time with my RPG backlog if possible, specifically starting The Witcher 3 now that I can run it. So will I ever get to these 2017 releases? Maaaybe!

I played Zelda. That was the big one. A total game changer. The rest look good, but they aren't a priority, at least not over The Witcher.Edited 2 times. Last edited December 2017 by NiceGuyNeon
    Because I chose to play Persona 5 (100+ hours for me) and Horizon: Zero Dawn (40+ hours for me) and I only really have about an hour a day in which to game, I've had to opt for sampling many of the other big games (Nioh, Dishonored 2, Nier: Automata, Zelda: BOTW, etc.) and completely ignore multiplayer games like PUBG. When I have free time, I try to play shorter indie games I've missed (iNSIDE, Pony Island, Superhot, and many more) since they can be completed much more quickly. I'm also trying to at least attempt to try games in my backlog like Wolfenstein: The New Order, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst and Watch Dogs 2.

Do I regret my choice to focus much of my time on two games? Not at all. Persona 5 and Horizon are two of the best games I've ever played, and I recommend them to everyone.

Still, I can't think of a year this decade that's been so full of amazing releases. I think 2009 (Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed II, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, The Sims 3, Ratchet & Clank Future: Crack in Time, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Demon's Souls, Halo 3: ODST, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.) was the last year with such a promising "the next gen is here!" kind of feeling to the release calendar, and 2010 (Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 2, Halo: Reach, Fallout: New Vegas) would be a close second.
    Some indie games I can't name. The big marquee titles I'm not interested in overall. Gorogoa might be the latest such title.
    Divinity Original Sin 2 looks interesting, but I never play PC rpgs yet everything I hear about this game and it's predecessor sounds like if I played it for a while I would love it. But time is fleeting and I have mess of console games I already own that require attention.
    Etrian Odyssey 5
    Mario vs Rabbits Kingdom Battle
    Divinity Original Sin 2

And unpopular choice: Destiny 2.
    For me, it's probably Horizon Zero Dawn.

I've played through most of the other big titles that released this year that I'm interested in. Games like Zelda BotW, Nier:Automata, Persona 5, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, etc. I've played all of them (still making my way through Xenoblade 2).
    Nioh
    Yakuza 0
    Wolfenstein II

are at the top of the list. There's also Tokyo Xanadu ex+, which I preordered but still don't have from amazon because apparently the publisher didn't get enough physical copies printed in time for the release date.
    I just started Persona 5, but really want to get to Nier Automata and Splatoon 2 at some point. I've also basically overlooked Mass Effect Andromeda.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #13 donkeyintheforest 2 months ago
    MONSTER OF THE DEEP: FINAL FANTASY XV
    The Persona series is something I’ve missed out on, and the hype around 5 has me thinking 2018 is the year to experience it. But I should prob start with one of the earlier games...
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #15 InsertTokenz 2 months ago
    Yeah, I got quite a few to list on this one.

Etrian Odyssey 5
    Mario vs Rabbits Kingdom Battle
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Monster Hunter Stories
    Stardew Valley
    Golf StoryEdited December 2017 by InsertTokenz
    @VotesForCows Going for my MSc Accountancy and Control; at least I have a subject now, it's the most difficult part in writing a thesis, I find. When you have to come up with something on your own... *shudder* When you know what you need, it's not exactly plan sailing, but at least you won't keep getting stranded.

...meanwhile, I am surrounded by six devices that can play games, and Theatrhythm keeps calling my name. Ugh.
    So this was the year that I finally got a PS4, and I was sold pretty quickly. However, it's ALSO the year I got a switch, which has really shined a lot of life for what I have time to play and what I don't. The short version is I played the hell out of BotW, and Splatoon, and Picross (super underrated), and still haven't touched Neir: Automota or Danganropa or Wolfenstein. I think it's becoming pretty apparently that the PS4 is going to be my backlog machine, so at least we have a bright future together.
    Persona 5. One day...
    The Mummy Demastered. I loved Wayforward's Aliens: Infestation on the DS and Mummy Demastered has been frequently compared to it. I'm going to try to buy it while it's still on sale on the Switch. I meant to get it when it came out a little while ago but it feels good to have the discipline to wait for a sale on the console I want it for.

It has been really hard for me to totally commit to really big releases lately. I should probably buy less big games because I'm not completing them very often. I'm really enjoying smaller, bite size games at the moment. I'm really looking forward to the Next Penelope on Switch; game looks like the perfect speed for me.

Monster Hunter World will be an exception because it's already hooked me.
    If I had to pick THE game I wanted but didn't buy that came out this year it would be Prey.

A close second would be Breath of the Wild, but that would mean buying a Switch before Valkyria Chronicles is out...
    Oh, I've barely touched the releases with major personal appeal yet... Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Nier Automata, Battle Chef Brigade... I'll be catching up for a while.

But! But! I ffffffinally got an SNES Classic and I'm just going to hug it forever now.
    @NiceGuyNeon I can definitely vouch for Prey. Some people compare it to BioShock, but it's really much more of a spiritual successor to System Shock. The way you do things and the places you can access depend a lot on what skills you choose to acquire.

Shame it hasn't done better, but given that it had practically no advertising push and it had some potentially file-ruining bugs at launch that's to be expected.

Anyway, if you go console with the game be prepared for some pretty long load times when transitioning between major areas of the ship.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #23 Tetragrammaton 2 months ago
    I played more of this year's big releases than I ever do, probably because I actually got a Switch day 1, and a bunch of my kickstarter loot came due. Despite that, there's only one game that I actually regret missing out on, and that's Divinity Original Sin 2. Oh, I played around with it, but all that did was whet my appetite to sit down and really give it a go.

I'm not done with the first one, so I won't be moving on to DivOS2 until me and my buddy polish that off. But still, everything I've heard about the game, and everything I've listened to from the OST, sound lovely.

Oh well. Next year.
    @MetManMas I'll be playing on PC when I get to Prey. Most likely on my desktop, but if that can't run it smoothly I should be able to run it on my laptop. That said, I love Arkane. The Dishonored series is so brilliant, and I'm eager to see what they did with Prey. But I can say based on my experience with Arkane's Dishonored 2, these guys have some pretty long load times in general.

Prey looks really cool and I enjoy games like it a lot. I never finished System Shock 2 but what I played of it really stuck with me. I'm holding out for the remakes and System Shock 3 to dive back in if I get the chance.
    @NiceGuyNeon From what I've heard, Arkane's Prey is of absolutely no relation to the 2006 game. You're in space fighting aliens (of a sort), and it's in first person, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. Like, the went with Prey 'cuz they hadn't come up with a name for their cool space game and Bethesda recommended it since they owned the rights.

It's a great game, just don't expect much of anything relating to the old Prey.Edited December 2017 by MetManMas
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #26 VotesForCows 2 months ago
    @Hoolo Good luck with it!
    Pretty much all of them. I finally decided to quit or at least lessen my MMO time and focus on some single player stuff, so almost everything I've played in the last month is ancient (at least for the PS4's life cycle). With so many people talking about it, I just booted up Nier which I bought around black Friday and just the first hour is so stupidly well done. So maybe that'll be the one 2017 game I get done before the end of the year.
    @MetManMas Yeah I'm not expecting it to be similar. The first Prey was OK. It had some cool ideas that just couldn't be explored in a 6 hour, linear campaign (and it had a pretty bad main character tbh...)

But this Prey looks more interesting and ambitious, I'm definitely curious to try it out, especially since it looks like a lot of the bugs have been ironed out too.
    Tits: 3rd, can't bring myself to play on pc.
    Mh xx, want to play it localized.
    Star fox 2, can't find a snes classic.
    Yakuza 0 ;automata; future tone; ff12; bersia; p5, don't have time.Edited 2 times. Last edited December 2017 by shurn
    Pretty much all of them. It's hard to justify buying games at full price when 1. I have a big enough backlog and 2. the price will usually drop within a few months.

Plus, a lot of my gaming time is given to 'ongoing' games like MMOs, Overwatch, that sort of thing. I genuinely can't think of a single 2017 release (aside from the FFXIV expansion) that I played.

I'll get around to them eventually. But right now the ones I regret the most are the Switch games. I just can't justify the upfront cost of the console, mem stick, controller, case... plus games.
    I'll try and nail it down to a single game per platform

Switch - xenoblade 2 - I did start it, but not very far
    Ps4 - yakuza 0
    Pc - Zwei 2
    3ds - etrian 5
    Vita - danganronpa v3
    Too many but that's often the case with me, as I tend to be a late adopter. The ones I'm interested in the most, at the top of my head: Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Assassin's Creed Origins, Horizon Zero Dawn, Resident Evil VII, Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Nioh, Steam World Dig 2, Golf Story, Hellblade, Yakuza Kiwami, Hollow Knight, Battle Chef Brigade.
    Nier, Pyre, and Spellforce 3 for sure. Y's 8 but I was waiting on PC so don't think it counts for that one. Etrian Odyssey V is another one that I missed. Played the demo and loved it but was busy with Mario.
    Definitely Nier and Nier Automata. The former finally got reprinted but I skipped on buying it. I got the latter from Black Friday but I will not play it this month!

What I haven't bought on the PC side despite Caty's recommendations is Night in the Woods and Thimbleweed Park. I have lots of PC games that I'm not playing and I wish I could make time for those two this year. Waiting for a Switch port to swing the needle.
  • Avatar for TerryTrowbridge #35 TerryTrowbridge 2 months ago
    Persona 5 :(
    It's just hard to play a long JRPG on console now. I blame the Vita.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #36 SatelliteOfLove 2 months ago
    Cuphead, Tower of Time, Zelda, and Mario.

I get a Switch next year.

Lord have mercy.

@Shurn

You WILL sit at your PC, you WILL experience Peak Falcom Goodness!

They did things...multiple things...that should not have existed, much less together like they did and excellently.Edited December 2017 by SatelliteOfLove
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #37 ghostsandgoblins 2 months ago
    I don’t think I’ve played any new releases in 2017. I’ve bought a few (Blast Master Zero and River City: Knights of Justice come to mind), and might get to Ultra Moon before the end of the year.

To make this easier, I’m not going to count any the Nintendo releases, because I’m fairly certain that I will play those eventually. That leaves Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, Yakuza Zero, and Persona 5 as the 2017 games I’m most worried that I’ll never play.Edited December 2017 by ghostsandgoblins
    I missed most every game this year and actually don't care. I bought a PS4 finally this year to play FFXV, and it was great. I had also intended to play Persona 5 and Yakuza Zero (as well as Tokyo Xanadu on Vita), but then I had just come back from living in Japan for a year and found i just didn't care about Japanese life simulators anymore--- I had just done it, and found then, and now even, that I'm really over it :P Sold my PS4 some months ago to prepare for my next move to Asia, albeit this time to China for a year (crossing fingers it does more for me than Japan!).

I think the only one that really bothered me was Yooka Laylee. Bad reviews aside (which I don't care about), I grew up with a 64 and Rare collectible-based games, and was crazy to play it. I was going to buy it for PS4, but then when I heard it was coming to Switch decided to wait--- and then it was delayed, and delayed.
    And now it's out! ...except I just played Super Mario Odyssey and don't care that much anymore for 3D collectible platformers. I'm "satisfied," sort-of, although I do think SMO is pretty crap (and Zelda too). Nintendo's current game design philosophy doesn't work for me at all, so who knows; I think I might just go ahead and pick up Yooka Laylee still before the year ends.
    I've got the big ones out of the way: Zelda and Mario. I've also played Sonic Mania and Samus Returns.

On my to-play list: Wolfenstein 2, Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2 (waiting for me on my Switch), Romancing SaGa 2 (does this count?), Resident Evil 7, Cuphead, Yooka-Laylee, Mario + Rabbids, and numerous others that I'd like to play but probably won't.

How many of these will I eventually play? Maybe half? What a year.
    Pretty much the big Switch games. Still haven't gotten around to throwing down the half a grand investment into the Switch, then the games I want (Zelda and Mario atm) plus the pro controller (or whatever it's called this time) .... I mean I really REALLY want to play Mario and Zelda but that's a lot of money for me right now especially when there are still other games outside of the Switch that I still need to play like Nier or even Horizon's new DLC.

Also right now I'm kind of on an Advance Wars kick so... I'm good for now.

Though hey Nintendo... if you announce a new Advance Wars for the Switch I promise to drop everything and buy one ASAP
    Tales of Berseria and Zelda. I haven't found the time to get to those games and I really want to.
    Games I’ve played, but haven’t finished:
    Nier (third play through)
    Nioh
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Skyrim VR

Games I own, but haven’t played:
    Hellblade
    Doom VFR

Games I don’t own, but want:
    Persona 5
    Danganronpa v3
    Yakuza 0
    Gravity Rush 2
    Resident Evil
  • Avatar for victorehunter #43 victorehunter 2 months ago
    I managed to get Resident Evil 7 and Breath of the Wild done just under the wire. I still need to catch up on a few others though; Persona I'll probably tackle waaaay down the line but Nier I should get around to relatively soon. Odyssey is going to require a Switch which I don't see happening in the immediate future. Same goes for the Resident Evil Revelations Collection. I'm also way behind on Pokemon. I still need to get around to the first Sun and Moon let alone Ultra. And that's just the big name releases. I've got plenty of indies on my "eventually" list.
    I think that I actually did alright this year. I can't think of anything that I have a burning desire to play that I missed out on.
  • Avatar for nathanstinson41 #45 nathanstinson41 2 months ago
    I guess Kat didn't miss a game this year? :-p
    @nathanstinson41 She was traveling this week, which is also why you didn't see much from her on the site.
    @shurn

Get one of these, then you can play on PC, but it'll be handheld like god intendedEdited December 2017 by link6616
    Wait, there were more games this year other than Nier? I think you're all full of it
  • Avatar for KeroseneBlast #49 KeroseneBlast 2 months ago
    Both Yakuza games, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Danganronpa V3 come to mind. Started Etrian Odyssey V, but that took a break once Pokemon US/UM came out.
    @SatelliteOfLove I agree it's inevitable, I'm looking into those small portable pocket pc's that run windows 10, $300 a pop but then I can play all the 2d games on my steam account. Just a matter of time.
    @link6616 yeah I was checking it out and another appreciate the helpful suggestion, just have to decide which one
    It's ability to emulate dreamcast puts it in the lead. Lol that's the god for me, love portable.Edited last month by shurn

Comments