USgamer Community Question: Which July Game Are You Most Looking Forward To?

Which of next month's releases are you most anticipating?

Article by USgamer Team, .

As we hit the midpoint of the year and head towards the height of Summer, we're wondering which July game you're most looking forward to? If you need a reminder of what's coming out, here's our list of upcoming video game releases for your perusing pleasure.

As always, the USgamer team is here to answer the same question. Here are the July releases they're most anticipating.

Jeremy Parish Editor-in-Chief

Full disclosure: My number-one most anticipated game of July, 7th Dragon III, has been ticking away as an advance review code on my 3DS for several weeks now… and I wrote about it last week. So let's talk about the next game I'm most anticipating: Shiren the Wanderer.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with this new Shiren release, to be honest. I've deliberately kept myself in the dark about it, because the best thing about picking up a new Shiren is the sense of surprise and discovery it entails. Shiren, of course, is the flagship of Spike Chunsoft's ever-growing Mystery Dungeon series — you know, as in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Those other spinoffs have been pretty great of late, but for my money none of them can top Shiren. It's the real deal, the original console roguelike series, unfettered by franchise attachments and licensor requirements; Chunsoft is free to do with each entry as they see fit.

"Roguelike" has become the byword for a billion indie games: See Spelunky and The Binding of Isaac for examples of the genre in action. Shiren is a more traditional take on the format, though, and it holds much closer to the precepts of the old PC roguelikes… adapted to the realities of consoles, of course. Chunsoft's goal with Shiren (and its immediate predecessor, Dragon Quest: Torneko's Great Adventure) has been to do for procedural, permadeath dungeon crawlers what Dragon Quest did with PC RPGs: Make them accessible and fun. I expect to sink way, way too many hours into this new Shiren. With luck, it'll work on PlayStation TV and you can watch me die horribly via live stream.

Jaz Rignall Editor-at-Large

If I hadn't already played it in June on Xbox One, I'd be most looking forward to Inside on PC, which is released on July 7th. I absolutely loved Playdead's spiritual sucessor to Limbo when I reviewed it earlier this week, and indeed think it's one of the best platformers I've played in years. It gets my highest recommendation - if you have a PC or an Xbox One, you really should play the game before someone spoils it for you. It's just fantastically designed, and tells a brilliant, highly compelling story that has some seriously crazy twists and turns.

But since I've already played Inside, the game I'm subsequently most looking forward to in July is Song of the Deep. Developed by Insomniac Games, it's a sub-aquatic Metroidvania in which you play a young girl who builds a rickety submarine so she can go and rescue her fisherman father who she believes is trapped under the sea. I played the game at GDC earlier this year and really enjoyed the time I spent with it. Its underwater environments look gorgeous, and the physics-based puzzles that were part and parcel of the demo were really fun to solve. It just looks like it has great potential, and considering its pedigree, I have really high hopes for the game.

I'll be reviewing Song of the Deep next week, so keep an eye out for it!

Mike Williams Associate Editor

Given a relatively lean July when it comes to major releases, I'm probably going to have to go with I Am Setsuna. It's the first game from Tokyo RPG Factory, a small studio made to turn out Japanese RPGs with a classic feel. Setsuna itself is almost a direct callback to Square Enix' Chrono Trigger, feeling largely the same when it comes to the battle system.

The big difference is I Am Setsuna is made with modern technology and its budget seems far cheaper than the money Square Enix dropped into Chrono Trigger back in the day. The game is being developed in Unity, there's no voice acting at all, and it's clear that the title was created for release on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. The relatively simple presentation highlights the probably cuts made to fit on the Vita, which is a shame because that version isn't heading West.

I Am Setsuna is an experiment for Square Enix. Do players really want an old school RPG without all of the bells and whistles? Are we so tied to HD presentation, voice acting, elaborate cutscenes, and shiny graphics that something like I Am Setsuna simply won't gain traction here? I hope not, because what I played before was enjoyable and I'd like to see more from Tokyo RPG Factory in the future.

Bob Mackey Senior Writer

If you've been reading my work on USgamer for the past few years, it shouldn't come as a huge surprise that I'm eagerly anticipating Monster Hunter Generations. For me, it's become an even nerdier Madden or FIFA; every year or so, Capcom brings out another installment that features the same core experience, but with some tweaks and refinements. And, as a games press guy who never really has the luxury of lingering on one game for too long, I'm hoping to make time for the bottomless well of content known as Monster Hunter this summer.

After spending a whopping 200 hours on 3 Ultimate (Thanks, unemployment!), I've always felt guilty about the fact that I only gave last year's 4 Ultimate a scant 50 hours of my life. I'm hoping to correct that soon, and as luck would have it, I'm going on a week-long vacation shortly after Generations releases. Who needs played-out destinations like beaches and Disneyland when I could instead play video games in a place other than my apartment? That's the games journo lifestyle, baby.

Comments on this article are now closed. Thanks for taking part!

I might try I Am Setsuna. Still haven't finished Blood and Wine though so we'll see. I definitely want to support their efforts in making more classic style JRPGs.
    Oh yeah Setsuna is next month huh? Guess that's my answer.
    Monster Hunter Generations
    Seeing that I have no way to play the game I'm most interested in (new Shiren), and I'd be much more open to Monster Hunter Generations if I could play it on something other than a 3DS, the new release I'd be most likely to go for this month is I Am Setsuna. But even with Setsuna, I'm a little reluctant to pounce because I've been burned by retro throwback jRPGs before.

Often they're too streamlined, or too story-focused, or have rubbish level design, or recycle content on the main story path to pad play time, and let's just say there's a reason I'm more interested in rereleases/remakes/remasters/rethingys of old RPGs than new ones trying to channel the spirit of the old. Retraux jRPGs are kinda like a stew or soup to me, I guess. Overall it's a pretty good bowl, but they just can't get the dang broth and spices exactly the way I like 'em.

Anyway, if I don't get Setsuna, July will probably be a "watch for sales" month for me. Might renew my FFXIV subscription too, maybe get 30 days of PS Now to hit up the huge library of PS3 games I've never played.
    I didn't realize all these games were coming out in July!
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #6 SatelliteOfLove 2 years ago
    I guess 7th Dragon III Code: VFD? It's the only thing I got down for this month.

July, or "the eye of the storm" as I call it.
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #7 Lord-Bob-Bree 2 years ago
    Oh man, Setsuna is this month? Well, there's my answer. I just hope it's actually good.
    Nothing unless an interesting indie pops up on psn. I just got Grand Kingdom so I am going to dive into that soon.
    Not sure if it's coming in July or not, but I'm really looking forward to Axiom Verge for Wii U. The USgamer staff had nothing but great things to say about it in 2015 and this game seems perfect for Wii U's remote play feature.
  • Avatar for matthewjohnson31 #10 matthewjohnson31 2 years ago
    Setsuna I guess, but nothing really looks like a full-price purchase to me. I'll probably be playing either Persona 4 or TMS (or maybe Soul Hackers) for most of the month anyway.
    Monster hunter generations
    Im excited to try out the new gameplay styles. And hunt old beasts in stereoscopic 3D.
    the biggest release for me in July is definitely Monster Hunter Generations. But I'm also looking forward to I Am Setsuna (still praying to the Squenix/Sony gods for the release of the Vita version in English).

I'm sort of interested in taking a look at:

7th Dragon (Reiko Kodama!!)
    Shiren (kind of iffy for me, as I'm not too big on roguelikes)
    Toukiden 2 (didn't like the first one so much, but heard good things about the JP demo)
    I would've said 7th Dragon but I wasn't impressed with what I played at E3 so I'll go with Setsuna.

I played close to 40 minutes of Setsuna at E3 and my favorite thing was the pacing. It has all the classic visual trappings paired with a snappy pace unlike the Bravely games which get wayyy too chatty. Just wish we got a physical release!
    no lie, nothing really, I'm waiting for Persona 5. I haven't seen anything that I would be "excited" for , maybe Dishonored 2, if I can pick up Dishonored on sale I'll play it but if not I'll just finish my current games.
  • Avatar for buckupprincess #15 buckupprincess 2 years ago
    The two games I'd most like to see sneak out are Axiom Verge on the Wii U so I can give Tom Happ more money and SNES Mystical Ninja on the 3DS. If neither of my hopes appear, Monster Hunter Generations is next on my list.
    I probably won't play it this month, or even get the game any time soon, but Inside on PC is going to be my answer. I honestly don't know of any other releases this month, and it looks great. Reviews sound like it also plays great, so that's going to be a necessity.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #17 VotesForCows 2 years ago
    I think the new Shantae was (at one time) meant to be out this month. But as its not, I might not get anything new. I think Shiren isn't coming to Europe, which I would have enjoyed.

So - some older games, and Furi (coming to PS+), which looks quite interesting.
    @drdoctor Wait, there's a demo for 7th Dragon?

Crap, how'd I miss this one?
    Nothing, really. Saving up all my loose change in July and August because September and October are going to devastate my bank account.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #20 InsertTokenz 2 years ago
    I Am Setsuna looks very promising, however having finally gotten in on the Monster Hunter addiction this year, I have to say Monster Hunter Generations comes across as all sorts of awesome. The irony to this though is that I'll probably still be playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate even after grabbing Generations (I'm currently clocked in at about 180 hours or so).
    Mine is actually a June game, since my copy of Zero Time Dilemma stil haven't arrived...
    I'm still only knee deep into Zero Time Dilemma and Rhythm Heaven Megamix, so I'm probably good for a while. That said, I'm pretty interested in Setsuna and Monster Hunter Generations. Too bad Shiren isn't also coming to 3DS or that would probably be my pick for July.

Really though, I'm just waiting for Dragon Quest 7 this fall.
  • Avatar for Happy-Mask-Salesman #23 Happy-Mask-Salesman 2 years ago
    New monster hunter
    Nothing. I'm still playing the same games as last month. What I hope to do is to figure out where the hell I'm actually at in Shin Megami Tensei IV, since I hear Apocalypse is coming out soon.
    I hope Axiom Verge comes to Wii U this month.

Edited 3 times. Last edited July 2016 by themblan
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #26 UnskippableCutscene 2 years ago
    I'll probably just keep playing Overwatch. I'm interested in Setsuna, but I'm curious how people will respond to it vs Cosmic Star Heroine, which is SUPPOSED to be this summer(?)
    Inside and Furi... and hoping for a surprise Below release now that we're in the stated summer window.
    I am looking forward to I Am Setsuna. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up. I have anticipated it since I found out about it, and I hope it lives up to its pedigree...
    Of course...the Steam and PSN sales also have been happening...so if I don't get to I Am Setsuna, I will still have an incredibly tremendous backlog to whittle away at.
    I am playing Lightning Returns again, this time on Steam. It's much better the second time around.
    MUCH better. I didn't give that game enough credit. I even like the characters.
    If only the first game in the trilogy would have done some of the same things...
    Wait.
    I'm getting off topic.
    I Am Setsuna. That's the game I'm looking forward to.
    @drdoctor I played a bit. It seems okay, if nothing particularly special compared to the wealth of RPGs on/coming to 3DS. Then again, it has a dude that looked straight out of Jet Set Radio who can hack enemies and make them attack each other, so that's pretty cool.
    I'm really hyped for I Am Setsuna. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time, so once I saw that the X-Strike combo was in this game, I was sold.

That said, I have tons of games in my backlog, so I'll probably be trying to finish Grand Kingdom, and then Trails of Cold Steel.
    I’m interested on Inside, Song of the Deep and I Am Setsuna, but as things stand I don’t think I will play any of them until another couple of years.

For the time being I’m working through my backlog, while also searching for a physical copy of TMS#FE.
  • Avatar for sleazefrenzy #33 sleazefrenzy 2 years ago
    Inside on PC is the only definite purchase for me this month.

Mostly it'll be replaying the best bits of Uncharted 4, secret hunting in Doom, finishing SOMA and the endless, bottomless time sink that is Persona 4. And Odin Sphere! Shit, too many games.
    Definitely I Am Setsuna. I am also interested in Song of the Deep and maybe finally checking out Neverwinter on PS4.

Comments