USgamer's RPG Podcast Celebrates Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD: Another packed episode brings with it Final Fantasy XII, Super Robot Wars V, and Odin Sphere discussion.

Article by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), we're joined by our fearless leader as well as Japan correspondent Elliot Gay to discuss Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Super Robot Wars V, and more..

When the Final Fantasy XII announcement hit, I knew that I had to get the boss on the show. Jeremy's love for Final Fantasy XII is well-documented, and he joins us in the first segment to share what he appreciates most about it.

In the following segments, Elliot Gay returns to discuss Super Robot Wars V, which was announced over the past weekend. We both agree that it will probably be a placeholder while Bandai Namco works on a real sequel, but we're pretty excited about it being available in English. Finally, Nadia and I wrap up the Odin Sphere Leifthrasir conversation that we started last week.

Next week: A wild E3 approaches! Command?

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Angels sound from on high as Square Enix finally announces the Final Fantasy XII HD Remake, and our fearless leader Jeremy Parish drops by to share his love for one of the franchise's most controversial games. Then Elliot Gay returns to discuss why American anime fans should be excited about Super Robot War V (23:33), and Nadia and Kat revisit Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (49:10) in this packed pre-E3 episode.

We're at E3 next week, covering the year's biggest gaming event. Be sure to check out all our coverage on our E3 2016 hub!

I usually download these to listen to on my Saturday morning runs, but I think I'll make the exception and jump a day ahead with this one
    An FF XII remake? That is Fran-fricking-tastic! It can only be better if it ends with a teaser for Vagrant Story II.
    all hail the good blood
    I wish Jeremy was louder
    Finally got around to checking out the SRWV trailer last night. It's very pretty. I like how they've subtly shaded the classic Gundam units to match the film look of the series, including the explosions. That's some crazy attention to detail.
    Jeremy is back! Return of the King.
    Kat Bailey's gotta do the Retronauts episode on Super Robot Wars and maybe get Bob Mackey to finish one of the three translated games (III, J, Alpha Gaiden.)
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #8 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @scottrothman97 Always leave 'em wanting more, I say.
    Obligatory "Less than flattering words about FF IX?! I'll not have it!" :p

I liked what XII was going for, but it very much feels like a game that had a rough development. There's a great game in there somewhere, but as it is it's merely decent in series full of great games.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #10 Tetragrammaton 2 years ago
    @jeremy.parish I was left wanting more quality control. :/
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #11 Godots17thCup 2 years ago
    Final Fantasy XII wasn't perfect, but darn it if I didn't have a lot of fun over the course of my 120+ hours with it. I loved the presentation, liked the battle system once I embraced the gambit system and, for the most part, I quite enjoyed XII's story and characters, even if I can see why other players weren't nearly as keen on those aspects. It's also by far the most fun I've ever had just exploring a world in a Final Fantasy game; I just adored hiking through the vast plains, towns, swamps, dungeons, forests, beaches and mountains of Ivalice, and the relative freedom you had in doing so. By the end of my adventure, it felt like I'd visited a real place, and it remains one of the most beautiful and well-thought-out overworlds I've ever seen in a game.

I do wish the sidequests had provided more in the way of world building or character development, but in the face of all that I ended up liking about FFXII, it feels like a trivial complaint.Edited 2 times. Last edited June 2016 by Godots17thCup
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #12 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @ThirdDrawing Dogmatically stating personal opinions as "objective facts" is always a great way to have a meaningful discussion and win people over to your side, I find.
    Yeah, I definitely felt intimidated by the freedom/lack of direction with character progression in Final Fantasy XII at the beginning. As a result I ended up making decisions on what weapons each character would use on seemingly frivolous things like who looked good with what, for example. Looking forward to having some restrictions.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #14 The-Challenger 2 years ago
    Great game, but that summoning mechanic is garbage.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #15 SatelliteOfLove 2 years ago
    The best thing Dragon's Crown did to fix VW games besides the utilized recycling is its multiplayer component.

Multiplayer can make all video game cud-chewing better!
    @Kat.Bailey I appreciate the Yamato 2199 talk. I actually stumbled upon that anime on some recommendations a couple of years ago and it is pretty damn excellent. It's unfortunate that the show isn't available in any easy format. You can probably catch it on a streaming site if you know where to look, but it shouldn't be that way for one of the freshest shows in years.

It's one of the anime I like to point to as one of the best around and worthy of anyone's time. Truly excellent show all the way around.
    Great episode as usual, Blood God Gang.

Jeremy, I believe that Square Millennium Event, where three mainline games were announced at once, was actually announcing FFIX, X and XI. I remember reading about it when I was young and being amazed by how different the three games looked. Maybe you were referencing a later event, though.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #19 Tetragrammaton 2 years ago
    I just realized that the response Jeremy is ointing to in my response to him is not the post I thought it was. If it's not too late, I'd like to state that I thought FFX12 needed more quality control, the podcast was fine. Definitely did not mean to insult the crew.
    I listened to the Odin Sphere talk. I'm kinda disappointed in that the story received so attention which I think is one of the game's strongest attributes: Mercedes, Velvet, Cornelius, all wonderful characters with unique arcs set in a world that takes advantage of its fantastical setting.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #21 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @jayzii "Blood God Gang" is a must for the gritty reboot of 3-2-1 Contact.

Comments