USGamer's RPG Podcast Explores Persona, Valkyria Chronicles, and Lost RPG Series

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD: In the wake of fresh news about Persona 5, Nadia and Kat chat about the Persona series, as well as Valkyria Chronicles and forgotten RPG series.

Column by Nadia Oxford, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey. You can find the show notes for previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), Kat and I talk about Persona 5 (and Persona in general), Valkyria Chronicles, and "lost" RPG series we'd love to see continuations of.

I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles for the first time, so experienced tank commander Kat and myself have an interesting exchange of opinions. I'm also (rightfully) taken to task for not playing a Persona game yet. I will rectify this shortcoming. I swear it on Jack Frost's tooth gap.

As for next week's topic: Who knows? There's always something cool going on in the world of RPGs, so I'm sure Kat and myself will find fun news to gab about!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Persona 5 is coming! Nadia and Kat talk about this highly distinct RPG series while also taking time to jaw about Valkyria Chronicles and RPG series in serious need of new installments.

Music from Axe of the Blood God is courtesy of Lena Chappelle, who has also contributed the themes to Active Time Babble and Roleplayers' Realm. We also use music from the RPG Music Pack over at rpgmaker.net. Check it out!

Weren't Persona: Revelations, Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment all re-released on the PSP?Edited May 2016 by marcalan
    I love Valkyria Chronicles despite its flaws. I loved the PS3 disc so much I bought it again on Steam. I wish the infantry tactics were more realistic with reward for covering advances and flanking. Instead it's a race to the finish, but still enjoyable.
    @marcalan Eternal Punishment PSP never came out here, but yes
    I don't think of Valkyria Chronicles' characters as that cliche, but I may just be subconsciously comparing them to the walking cliches that is the cast of the second Valkyria, especially the three leads.

The new Valkyria isn't announced for a Western release, right? At least PS4 is region-free, so I can just import the new game if Sega decides to disappoint me once again. Besides, it wouldn't be the first Valkyria game I played in Japanese.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #5 The-Challenger 2 years ago
    I enjoyed VC2 a lot. Much like FFV the story and characters were forgettable. But the job system was addicting, I couldn't get enough of it.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #6 SatelliteOfLove 2 years ago
    My biggie with Legend of Mana was the fact your allies were mindless and couldn't level up. They'd ignore XP crystals and often enemies.

I was one of those who nyoinked an Infinite Space copy. Felt real good.
    I personally don't think VC2 failed b/c of the PSP, for me it was the sharp turn from a group of adults in combat, to a bunch of teenagers in your typical Anime School, as well as the graphical downgrade, although the gameplay is still there. Grant it the first group had it's anime tropes and scenes, the third one was a return to form, in a gritty sense, according to what i've read about it anyway.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #8 SatelliteOfLove 2 years ago
    @detten17

VC1 vs VC2 is the crown jewel in my Anime vs "ANIME" argument where the former is broad and inherently dissonant, and the other is artificially narrow-minded.

Fun thing? Those stumping for the latter are on both sides of the pro- or anti-anime divide...
    VC2's story was so bad, it's main reason I didn't finish it.
    I'm not sure if it *wholly* counts as an RPG, but I would adore another Starflight game, or a spiritual successor newer than Star Control 2. Exploring space, setting up relations with alien races while uncovering the story at my own pace? There's almost nothing like it, but it's everything I could have wanted in a space game.
    @ThirdDrawing

1) I actually really love Chrono Cross. Can't beat that soundtrack.

2) I do 85% of my gaming on consoles.

3) Not everyone is going to like the same games you do. Sorry, dude. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    @ThirdDrawing Oh hey, you're still listening. I want more games on Steam because I want people to have more opportunities to play the games I love. You seem to think that I want this to the exclusion of consoles, which isn't true.
  • Avatar for middlecyclone #13 middlecyclone 2 years ago
    @Kat.Bailey I have a weird soft spot in my heart for Suikoden 3 mostly because of the Brienne of Tarth-style lady soldier whose name I can't remember. I wish Suikoden 3 would get ported to Steam so I could actually play it.

Comments