USgamer's RPG Podcast Looks at this Fall's Upcoming Releases

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD: On this week's Kat-less episode, we dive into the many RPG releases of the next few months while lamenting our lack of free time.

Article by Bob Mackey, .

It's been a relatively quiet week for RPGs, leaving us with not much to talk about. So instead of cancelling this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God, we have no choice but to look towards the terrifying future.

Even if we're in sort of a lull, it won't be long before we're beset with more RPGs than we'll ever have time to play. So, for this episode—thanks to the suggestion of a helpful Twitter follower—Axe of the Blood God will be looking at the many notable RPGs scheduled to hit between now and October. Whatever your tastes, there's bound to be something from our list of upcoming RPGs that'll strike your fancy. So, for the time being, sit back and listen to us speculate about Phantom Brave, Dragon Quest VII, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, Final Fantasy XV, Yokai Watch 2, and Dragon Quest Builders. Kat will be next week, bringing my podcasting reign of terror to an end—so please enjoy!

Download Links

Libsyn (1:00:14 | MP3 Download | SoundCloud)

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Music from Axe of the Blood God is courtesy of Lena Chappelle, who has also contributed the themes to Active Time Babble and Roleplayers' Realm. Other music on this podcast comes from the Phantom Brave OST and your friend and mine, Herb Alpert.

I don't read much manga, but I'd be into some Bob manga talk.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #2 Godots17thCup 2 years ago
    I dunno how I'm gonna find the time to actually play all of them, but between Dragon Quest VII, Trails of Cold Steel II and Ace Attorney 6, September is shaping up to be a pretty great month!
    September is beastly between Cold Steel II, Dragon Quest VII, and SMT IV:Apocalypse. And maybe FF XV will alright :p
    No Deus Ex talk? Or is that not quite a fall release?
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #5 The-Challenger 2 years ago
    The other great thing is that by the time I finish DQ7 Square-Enix will have already released DQ11.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #6 SatelliteOfLove 2 years ago
    Now that's how you do bumper music.
    I've played Dragon Quest VII when I was still obsessed with playing through PS1 classics on the actual console with long load times. I managed to get to the flooded/underwater world, and then I realized I overleveled! I like the story but the gameplay is just problematic. Hopefully the remake is better.
    @daverhodus I'd be into Bob talking mangas. But only if he included One Piece.
    I'm really looking forward to DQVII. I have all the remakes of the previous games on the DS. Having grown up playing Ultima IV, the original Dragon Warrior, FF1, back when I was 10 or 11, the Dragon Quest series always gives me what I'm looking for.

I'm still indifferent about FFXV so far. I could never get into Kingdom Hearts, as the gameplay didn't feel good. After playing 3rd person action games like Zelda, Devil May Cry, and the games that followed, KH's gameplay just felt lackluster (it was very janky). And gameplay of FFXV looks just like it. And the question I ask myself is, "if I'm going to play a 3rd person action game, why not play one from a studio that excels at it?"

And that leads into my other problem. It's not the game I'm looking for when I think of a mainline Final Fantasy, much less a JRPG. I want parties, and the ability to command a small crew of characters. Then again, I'm not planning on buying a PS4 or XB1, so I might not even get the chance unless it sees a PC release. But if it ends up being a great game, and it has a PC release, I'd pick it up.

As far as the other games, I just think I won't be able to find the time. WoW Legion is coming out, and if that is good, then I'll be playing that a lot. Otherwise, like, was it Bob, or Mike? I weave in GW2 and FFXIV into my MMO gaming too.
    @Kuni-Nino That's pretty much all I'm reading right now.
    @ThirdDrawing Those were her direct commands, so my hands were tied... Tied by the awesome power of PC gaming!

Comments