USgamer's RPG Podcast Shares Our Favorite Zelda Games

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD: Nadia and Bob join Kat to discuss our recent Legend of Zelda rankings and share their favorite games in the series. Plus, we delve once again into the Odin's Sphere remake, Pokken Tournament, and the news that another Pokémon mobile game is on the way.

Column by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey. You can find the show notes for previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), I'm joined by Nadia and Bob as we remember our personal favorite games in the Legend of Zelda series.

This episode was precipitated by our recent Legend of Zelda rankings, which wrapped up earlier this week. No, Zelda isn't really an RPG so much as an action-adventure game that leans a bit on the RPG tradition ('90s magazine proclamations to the contrary), but I don't really care because I just want to talk about Zelda.

It's not entirely RPG free, though! Bob and I kick off the episode by discussing Odin's Sphere, which he checked out earlier this week, and Pokémon comes up as well. So if you're looking for some RPG morsels, there you are. Otherwise, don't think about it too much. Just enjoy the Zelda chat.

Next week: GDC is upon us! Hopefully there will be an episode next week!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Nadia and Bob join Kat to discuss our recent Legend of Zelda rankings and share their favorite games in the series. Plus, we delve once again into the Odin's Sphere remake, Pokken Tournament, and the news that another Pokemon mobile game is on the way.

• Avatar for pablotorresrodriguez #1 pablotorresrodriguez 2 years ago
    The download link doesn't works
    Confirmed, download link not working. Looks to be great though, thanks for the podcast, folks!
    naow fixed. thanks!
    "Our lives are so much different" --Or we're just getting older. :)

I still like the amount of content in Twilight Princess for the most part.
    @TheWildCard I dunno, I think we've lost a bit of patience now that we're beset by an endless supply of free and exceedingly cheap entertainment.
    I don't agree with Bob when it comes to Zelda but when it comes to the issue of "padding" I think he makes a salient point. TP is a game from ten years ago and it seems like we were alright with a game not needing to satisfy you at every single turn. These epic games were allowed to have some down moments and we were more forgiving, I think.

Personally, I think the industry as a whole seems to have gotten better at pacing since I don't feel like many games are bloated. The mantra over the past few years has been to be "tight" and you can see all these campaigns in recent games truncate their length to fit into these design parameters. Zelda almost feels old school in this regard.

For what it's worth, I think the "padding" complaint is overstated. We recently had a big discussion about it on NeoGAF and it was interesting to see how opinions contradicted each other. Like, how people consider Skyward Sword's tear challenges awful but they defend the Zora Egg collecting in Majora's Mask which could turn into a very tedious slog if you didn't have four bottles.

I don't really hold it against those games doing the things above because they get so many other things right that I feel petty complaining about it.

All around interesting conversation about Zelda though.

Kat, you're right about Spirit Tracks being underrated. It has the best portrayal of Zelda and an awesome soundtrack.
    Great conversation, as always! I was most interested in hearing about everyone's first Zelda title and how that informs their expectations for future installments. I started with the original on NES back in 1987, and I'd love nothing more than Zelda U to return to its more open-ended style and re-emphasize combat over puzzle solving. But as was mentioned, Link to the Past is probably always going to the template, which means NPC-driven side quests, 3 initial dungeons, and then 6-8 temples.
    Deleted March 2016 by Kat.Bailey
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #9 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @ThirdDrawing Whew, thanks for clearing that up for us.
    Sounds weird to say but I wish Nintendo would re-use art assets more often and focus on design. Majora's Mask using so much art from Ocarina of Time both allowed AND forced the developers to figure out ways to distinguish MM from it's predecessor....and we got a weird, twisted, awesome alternate take on something we were already familiar with. See also Super Mario Galaxy 2, an incredible game (IMO the best Mario has ever been) no doubt largely thanks to the groundwork already laid by the original.

Comments