We Answer the Big Questions About Fallout 76

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD | Nadia returns from West Virginia with a full report on Fallout 76, and we add to our Top 25 RPG list!

Article by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey and Nadia Oxford. You can find the previous episodes here.

With just a month to go before the big release of Fallout 76, we finally got to play Bethesda's big upcoming survival RPG. Nadia returns with a full report! Plus: We add Fallout: New Vegas to the Top 25 RPG Countdown [download link here]!

In discussing Fallout 76, we hit some of the biggest questions surrounding its upcoming release. For instance, what will it be like to play solo? Is it really that easy to troll your friends with nukes? And does it actually feel like a Fallout game? We'll get to see for ourselves pretty soon with the upcoming Fallout 76 beta, but here's an early peek at what to expect.

Also in this episode: We continue our Top 25 RPG countdown with Fallout New Vegas! Check out my piece exploring the Making of Fallout New Vegas from last year, then settle in and listen as Nadia and I talk about why Obsidian's spinoff deserves to be counted among the best RPGs ever.

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

It's a week in which Axe of the Blood God pushes the big red button as Nadia returns from her trip to West Virginia to share her experience with Fallout 76. Kat and Nadia talk about what it's like to play solo, the nuclear quest, and whether it fits with the character of the series. Then Kat and Nadia add a new entry to their Top 25 RPG list: Fallout New Vegas! Listen as they talk about Fallout New Vegas' classic quests, its rich history, and the unique choices that help separate it from the rest of the 3D Fallout games.

Sorry for being so late but wanted to see how Sylvando is for myself. And while I only just got him in my party I'm enjoying him. But I always enjoyed just happy campy characters. My only issue is how the NPC and characters would react to that. Since most anime/JRPG tend to make campy just weird and out of place or just yell at them for acting weird. Or worse with Persona 4 with their use of "lighthearted humor" with Kanji and Yosuke (Sorry I know you love Persona 4 but I couldn't keep going after they kept doing the joke over and over again). So having a colorful campy guy where everyone seem to just accept and enjoy his camp makes me ok with him.
    I listen to podcasts all the time while playing PS4 games like DQXI and Xbox games like FH4. I don’t know why being able to listen to podcasts was cited as a reason to wait to play DQXI on the Switch.
    #FreeNadia, who knew she was the Mero of #BloodGodPod?
    For me Fallout: New Vegas represented what I wanted from a Bethesda RPG when Bethesda was unable to give it to me. Leave it to Obsidian, one of my favorites, to use Bethesda's own template and outshine them.

To be clear, I put in dozens of hours into Morrowind, and when Oblivion came out I put just as many hours into that (Morrowind was the better game though). But when Fallout 3 released I got bored after about 20 hours, and I honestly couldn't explain it so I skipped New Vegas until my sister gifted it to me, unaware that I was totally bored by Fallout 3.

The moment I installed New Vegas I was hooked: guy shot you in the head, you aren't dead, find him. Easy, exciting, interesting hook. But then Obsidian used the open world to often smartly tie back sidequests into your greater character arc. You had to make decisions that mattered rather than, weirdly enough, "will you nuke this town or not" and really like nukes are serious business but Fallout 3 managed to make it the most boring choice imaginable. Like what did you really lose out on? A barren town and then you keep exploring the wasteland like nothing happened? Greeeat. The quest design really elevated New Vegas because the actual game systems were similar, but the quests made you want to keep exploring this quirky world and eventually see how everything could tie in together.

Later I bought Skyrim hoping Bethesda pulled some magic, but I got 10 hours into Skyrim and never played it again and I outright skipped Fallout 4 after reading reviews. I don't know what to expect from Fallout 76 or Elder Scrolls VI, but my gut tells me: not much. At least Obsidian are successful enough to go on and make their own RPGs now!Edited 2 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by NiceGuyNeon
    While I suppose I enjoyed Fallout 3's D.C. setting a tad more just from the landmarks, FO:NV was a lot more fun to play, as the faction and survival systems added more layers of complexity, while still being pliable enough to be broken. I was able to manipulate the factions to be Idolized with all of them while roleplaying a 1 Intelligence 1 Charisma character thanks to some handy karma resets at certain quest triggers. Of course, having those stats be that low meant other like Luck and Strength were super high, so I won 80% of my hands of Blackjack and cleaned out all the casinos, and easily one-shot the Legendary Deathclaw with the "Oh Baby!" Super Sledge. One of those games I took apart, put back together, and then said "I think my work is done here."

Other memories: 1. Low Intelligence actually changing dialogue options - "Are you a maker of war or peace?" "PIZZA!"
    2. YES MAN is simply the best. "This is going to be great! I'm going to help you accomplish so much, whether I want to or not!"
    3. Best companion - Veronica, voiced by Felicia Day, being as quirky and charming as always.
    4. Ulysses is definitely "that Chris Avellone character." You know, that character he writes in every game that is super mysterious and drives the plot from behind the scenes, who has complex philosophical beliefs having been a member of multiple factions, and is usually trying to "break a cycle" having become disillusioned with all of those factions. And even though I've recognized the pattern, I WANT MORE OF IT.
    @NiceGuyNeon I loved the interwoven quest system too. Like, you make some choice or finish a quest and all of a sudden you fail a completely different quest and you're like, "Wait, what?" It really showed the scope of possibilities and encouraged replayability and different characters because one person couldn't simultaneously appease House, the Legion, and the NCR all while remaining independent.
    @Dorchadas Yes! I thought Morrowind hinted at it a bit back in 2002, like you'd play a thief character so you'd join the Thieves' Guild and if you did that they would often have you steal from the Mages, the Fighters, and other groups but if you messed up and got caught those groups often did not want you to come back around joining them or speaking to any of their members. But by the time Oblivion released Bethesda started getting in the habit of making all of these self-contained questlines where nothing interacted with anything else. So you could join the Dark Brotherhood but it didn't mean anything for your character, it was just a series of quests that wrapped up and then you could go to the Thieves' Guild or whatever you wanted. New Vegas really started to show interweaving these quests could make for a more interesting game, and I think Witcher 3 now especially handled that really well too. Edited 2 weeks ago by NiceGuyNeon
    @moochan Yeah, for the most part DQ doesn't treat Sylvando too badly. I can't pin down exactly I feel about the character, but he could've been handled so much worse, and he brings so much personality to the party.
    @Feanor Maybe the TV's shared? If you're using the console to play DQ11 and only paying half-attention to it, then you're hogging the TV for something you're not that into. Whereas you can pull the Switch out of the dock, curl up on the couch, and enjoy some RPG goodness and podcastery while someone else binges Netflix.
  • Avatar for Nightrunner99 #10 Nightrunner99 7 days ago
    @NiceGuyNeon
    Well said. I really think F:NV's technical issues turned off a lot of people. If we could get the polish of Fallout 4 with the writing of New Vegas, I'd be a happy camper. Edited 1 weeks ago by Nightrunner99

Comments