What Are Your Most Anticipated Games For The Rest of 2018?

COMMUNITY QUESTION | Three months left in 2018. Lots of games are coming out. What are you most looking forward to?

Article by USgamer Team, .

We're one week deep into October, and we're already drowning in new games. It's only worse from here.

In October alone, we have Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Super Mario Party, Forza Horizon 4, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Soulcalibur 6, and of course the big one: Red Dead Redemption 2. Beyond that, there's Fallout 76, Battlefield 5, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and more. It's shaping up to be a busy final few months of the year for video games.

So for this week's community question, what game(s) are you looking forward to the most as 2018 starts spiraling downward? You can find some of our answers below, and let us know your picks in the comments!

Matt Kim News Editor

I have a couple games already pre-ordered for this month. I'm looking forward to Soulcalibur 6 since it's my favorite fighting game series, and I have Assassin's Creed Odyssey coming in through the mail as we speak. However, the big blip on a lot of people's radar for October is undoubtedly Red Dead Redemption 2. Now, I'm keeping my anticipation for the game measured but I'm genuinely curious how all the vast moving parts will mesh together into a cohesive game. I've gone on record to say that I don't really like games that are exhaustingly massive, so we'll see how I fare with Red Dead Redemption 2.

Caty McCarthy Features Editor

I'm really looking forward to Hitman 2 and the last act of Kentucky Route Zero, which was teased the other day on Twitter and could be dropping any day now. If you haven't been playing Cardboard Computer's episodic series, I urge you to pick it up as soon as possible. I won't spoil anything, but Act V can't come soon enough.

As for Hitman, the first season was one of my favorite games of 2016. I'm bummed Hitman 2 is dropping the season structure, but I imagine it'll still be another great time. I love a good sandbox stealth game, and IO Interactive perfected it with the first rebooted Hitman. Of course, I'm also looking forward to Tetris Effect, Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey (picking it up today!), and Disco Elysium (if it's even out this year) too.

Related Tags

• Avatar for ericspratling56 #1 ericspratling56 14 days ago
    Just Cause 4. Such sublime stupidity.

Earth Defense Force 5 finally getting a Western release. Can't wait to gun down those giant insects. E-D-F! E-D-F!
    Most of the next months are going to consist of trying to catch up on backlog, but SoulCalibur VI is the first thing that comes to mind. Although that Mark of the Ninja rerelease is pretty cool too.
    Not sure if there's any new release I really am all that excited about. Smash Bros should be great, but the Switch is getting a trifecta of amazing RPGs in Diablo III, Dark Souls, and basically Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and I'm just a bit more excited for those.

I'm also still playing Dragon Quest XI which is soooo long, but it's good. Tightly paced and constantly putting new story beats and characters in front of you. It's like a 100 hour dungeon crawl. I'm working on Bloodborne and it's even more amazing than I thought it would be, and might spend the rest of 2018 either catching up on smaller indie releases like The Messenger and Dead Cells while I work on Dragon Quest XI, or if I do finish it then I'll work on finishing up more games from the backlog like Alien: Isolation, Undertale or Starcraft II.

Or if I do spring for a new release it might just be the final act of Kentucky Route Zero which should just pop into my account anyway so i guess that's backlog? Let's call it an ambiguity and rule in favor of a new game.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #4 donkeyintheforest 14 days ago
    RDR 2 and Smash

Battlefield?
    Soul Caliber?
    Fist of the North Star?
    Most likely a couple platformers or ACA titles for switch for those late nights

iI think DQ builders 2 is japan only release this year :/
    At this point, I'm mainly eager to get Luigi's Mansion for 3DS, and Smash Bros. Ultimate plus the Sega Genesis Classic Collection for my Switch. There might be some others titles of note but I can't recall them off the top of my head right now.
    Dark Souls on Switch and then Wreckfest. We get so few great arcade racers that I'm really psyched for it.

There are so many good looking games coming out that I just can't afford though I'll probably pick them up when they get cheap.
    The honest answer is nothing, but I am looking forward to several games in early 2019. This Fall is mostly sequels in series I've never been that invested in. Might pick up that Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle though, and I still need to go through Yakuza Kiwami 2 when I can afford to do so.
    I'm actually pretty excited about Starlink on Switch. I don't really care much for the toys-to-life thing, so when I found out they're totally optional I became way more interested. Mostly I'm looking forward to having a new open-world game to play on the Switch, but the Star Fox tie-in helps too.
    Red Dead 2!!!
  • Avatar for NotCarolKaye #10 NotCarolKaye 13 days ago
    I'm looking forward to giving Tomb Raider Underworld a tenth anniversary replay.
  • Avatar for notimportant #11 notimportant 13 days ago
    Call of Cthulhu! I’m not sure how good it will be, but my f8ngers are crossed. Loved the table top game once upon a time, and the trailers look promising. Could be lousy, but I’m hopeful.
    Hitman if I can find the time. Still got to catch up on things. I've gotta unlock all the bios in Valkyria Chronicles 4 and A rank all the missions. After that, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Got a free copy of Dragon Quest XI so maybe I'll hit that up. Either way, after VC4 I'm hitting up a stealth game.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #13 VotesForCows 13 days ago
    Everyone has listed lots of really good games, but I'm finding myself completely uninterested at the moment. God help me I'm back playing Skyrim (and Street Fighter, as always).
    Smash Ultimate is my single most anticipated game - I really can't wait for that.

Looking forward to gradually getting Torna, Dark Souls and Valkryia Chronicles 4 for Switch, too. And I'm surprisingly eager to get Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the latest game in a series I've never been into. I think that'll do for the rest of the year, unless I find time for another indie or two.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #15 LBD_Nytetrayn 13 days ago
    Hm, looking strictly at what's not out yet: Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Dragon: Marked for Death, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, and especially Starlink and Team Sonic Racing.
    But how can I look forward to anything when I can't stop playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I have a whole separate expansion adventure waiting for me.

I'm hopelessly hooked.
    The thought of 'Animal Crossing' for the Switch is my reason for getting out of bed in the morning.
  • Avatar for charliemiller53 #18 charliemiller53 13 days ago
    Absolutely refuse to get red dead 2 until PC release
    Very excited for new cod and smash bros
  • Avatar for FionnTheBrave #19 FionnTheBrave 13 days ago
    After the Luigi's Mansion remake comes out, I'll have pretty much all the games I was looking forward to for this year (the other two main ones being Octopath Traveler and Valkyria Chronicles 4). But! Like others here, I've got some most anticipated backlog titles to tackle

Persona 4 Golden, after I finish P3P (currently debating whether to grind to the bottom of Monad or just advance to the end of Jan.

Trails of Cold Steel, after finishing Trails in the Sky the 3rd

Finally, maybe, hopefully completing Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey, after a fatal memory issue earlier in the year forced me back to square one

Tales of Xillia

Oh, I am looking forward to Disgaea 1 Complete too, but still have 3, then 5 Complete in my backlog. All in and around the three mentioned first off...and after reading this, it sounds more like a New Year's resolution list than a plan for the rest of the year, haha. :D
    Yomawari: The Long Night Collection for NS. I've wanted to play this game for a long time. If it had stayed exclusive to Vita, I would have bought a Vita.

I also hope more Sega AGES games comes out this year. They already gave us the best Sonic-game now available on NS, and the legendary Thunder Force 4. Please bless us with another, M2.
    I am 115 hours into Octopath Traveler and still loving every minute. After that it will probably be Valkyria Chronicles 4.

As for the rest of 2018, I am anxious to revisit The World Ends With You Final Remix and Luigi’s Mansion on 3DS. Also looking forward to some Diablo 3 co-op when it releases on Switch.Edited 2 weeks ago by Gamer-Law
    Fallout ‘76 first, which is truly just a distraction while I wait for SSBU (and Resident Evil 2 Remake a lil later)
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #23 SuperShinobi 13 days ago
    The Playstation classic in December is #1 for me.

After that it's RDR2, Tetris Effect and Déraciné for PSVR, Wreckfest and Twewy: Final Remix for the Switch. I'm also waiting for my copy of Astro Bot for PSVR to arrive. Lastly, I'm going to check out the Blackout mode in CoD and Fallout 76.
    I'm already playing one of my most anticipated games, Forza Horizon 4, and it's truly great, but beyond that I'm looking forward to Underworld Ascendant and Fallout 76. I'm also holding out hope that Darksiders III is a great return to the series.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #25 Funny_Colour_Blue 13 days ago
    Capcom Beat em up Bundle once it arrives on steam.

I always wanted to play captain commando with 4 players.
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Dark Souls Remastered and Diablo III for Switch.

I would like to add Red Dead Redemption 2 to that list, but it doesn’t seem likely that I will manage to play it this year.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #27 Tetragrammaton 12 days ago
    Most immediately I'm excited for TWEWY, which was my favorite DS game.

Beyond that? SMASHCEMBER.
    Not looking forward to much of anything, this year. The only thing I'm really excited for is Sekiro for the moment. But that's good! That means I have more time to catch up on games, cause there's a lot I need to catch up on!
    I’m looking forward to the sweet, sweet satisfaction of Backlog Work. (Etrian Odyssey 5, Celeste, God of War, DQVIII...)
    Honestly, I just go by word of mouth on released games these days. I have absolutely no investment in multiplayer and as the years go by this becomes more and more of a boon as multiplayer "seasons" and patch cycles and whatever other crazy monetization scams Overwatch runs become somehow acceptable.
    At the moment I've just used a Humble Monthly key for the first time in about five months and I'm playing Hollow Knight. After that, I'll probably play something else that's excellent but has already been forgotten.
    Playing new games is, frankly, for chumps at the moment, and I've got no regrets in letting others blaze a trail into today's modern exploitative, consumer-hostile marketplace.
    Not a unique answer here, but definitely Smash Ultimate.
    This year just seems a bit meh to me. Im still trying to catch up with all the games from 2017, so Ive only played two games from 2018, Celeste and Monster hunter world. While they are definitely good games, I think they are ultimately overrated. Pillars of eternity 2 and Into the breach look very promising so I definitely look forward to playing those.

Comments