What Character Would You Like to See Next in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

COMMUNITY QUESTION | Now that Isabelle's turned over a new leaf, who should be next?

Article by USgamer Team, .

The end of yesterday's Nintendo Direct sure was a rollercoaster. When Isabelle first appeared on screen, my mind immediately raced to Smash. But then it lasted so long, so it went to the opposite end of a new Animal Crossing game, and then it ended up being Smash. And then it was a new Animal Crossing.

It was too much for my little heart to handle. Anyways, it's been the cause for much discussion as of late, so let's turn this question over to you: What character would you like to see join the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster next? You can find our answers below.

Mike Williams Reviews Editor

I don't really play Super Smash Bros. I understand its popularity with the community, but my fighting game elitism takes over (I call it what it is) and it's ultimately not the style of game that I want to play on a regular basis. My Nintendo kitbash game is Mario Kart; Hey, Nintendo, do more Mario Kart with Smash Bros-style rosters!

I'm going to drop Waluigi in here because I loved Waluigi before it was cool and he deserves to be a character in the roster. I also wrote an entire article on this very topic way back in 2015, so you can look there for some of my other choices. Other random choices: Professor Layton, the Elite Beat Agents, one of the characters from Arms, and maybe someone from Advance Wars, because that series deserves a little love.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

I've made no secret of the torch I carry for Quintet, but I don't think it'd be difficult to make an amazing Smash fighter out of Will from Illusion of Gaia. While I imagine his flute can be dismissed as a weapon for wieners in most contexts, we're talking about a series where people hit each other with bug nets and buckets. A flute is fine.

But Will also boasts the power of transformation. Think about it: His dark knight form, Freedan, can hit hard. His inhuman form, Shadow, can dodge attacks. Then there are his inherent "Psycho" powers that let him predict attacks (take that, Shulk) and tap into psychic energy (take that, Ness and Lucas). Plus, Will is overall just a very interesting RPG protagonist who deserved more than one game.

It'll never happen, but eh. The world needs more hopes and dreams (Oh, and speaking of: My second choice is Asriel from Undertale).

Matt Kim News Editor

When Bayonetta joined Super Smash Bros. I thought that was a good sign that we might one day see Travis Touchdown join the Smash roster. Both are M-rated heroes who enjoy trampling on the line of acceptable taste. And if Bayo can make it in Smash, why not Travis?

Still, if that doesn't happen I think I'd be okay with any number of third-party characters who've made it on a Nintendo console. Shovel Knight, Quote, and Shantae to name just a few off the top of my head, though two out of three of those characters are already in other fighting games. So I guess by default Shantae would be my top pick out of those three.

Caty McCarthy Features Editor

Like Mike, I'm also not big on Smash. I've always been a Mario Kart person, though I look forward to playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for like a week when it comes out and then never touching it again, as per my tradition with the series.

As for dream characters, I would love to see the Squid Sisters make an appearance. They could even have an alt costume that's Off the Hook's Pearl and Marina (as seen in the above screenshot). Considering Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is already bringing squid kids into it, a second appearance from the Splatoon series shouldn't be too much trouble—especially since there are like a dozen from Fire Emblem. I can already imagine the duo working together like the Ice Climbers, with a bunch of pop star-inspired moves.

The now-defunct Nintendo Badge Arcade's mascot, the Badge Arcade Bunny, would be a cool, unexpected character to join Smash's roster too. The Badge Arcade Bunny, when the badge game on Nintendo 3DS was still operating, was full of great, timely quips and other silly antics. I can see the Badge Arcade Bunny turning into a IRL bunny in the midst of battle too, like they sometimes did in the software. Also, Goku. C'mon Nintendo, you made Cloud happen, so make Goku happen too.

Let's admit it though: Isabelle is already the GOAT of Smash. I don't think any other reveal will be able to top hers. And just look at her:

Related Tags

• Avatar for Captain-Gonru #1 Captain-Gonru 7 days ago
    This might be too on the nose, but the reveal during the Direct has put the game in the forefront of my mind, so why not a character or five from Pro Wrestling? Maybe even give them a "tag" mechanic similar to Pokémon Trainer so that you could switch between some of them.
    I think they should put an Arms character or two in there. Ribbon Girl and Spring Man and of course the legendary waifu of coiled punches Twintelle.

The Champions from Breath of the Wild would be absolutely stellar. They're all so unique that it would be amazing to just have a battle between the four of them.

They've got Cloud so I'd also like to see like a Slime assist trophy for some Dragon Quest love, maybe have 7 or so of them form a King Slime and smash an opponent or something.

On the non-Nintendo fighter side I'd love to see the two great knights and the lady fighters from their games: Shovel Knight and Shield Knight along with the Hollow Knight (not the boss but your little dude you control) and Hornet.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #3 Funny_Colour_Blue 7 days ago
    Back when Smash was on WII U/3DS I always felt that it was heavily hinted at, that "Pilot Wings" would eventually become a playable character, that would eventually be added to Smash, and it'd be just as crazy as Duck Hunt Dog.

Each Vehicle would be like, mapped to the directional keys:
    ↑-Rocket Belt, ←-LightPlane, →- HangGlider, ↓-SkyDiving

and after performing a move, the instructor would pop up immediately after to grade you. "HIT" "MISS" "Wow! What a Knock Out!" etc.

It sounds crazy and that's because it is. But dude, it would've been so cool to see this turn into an actual playable character!

...PilotWing's Smash would probably be like, Snake's/Samus's, where a giant 16-bit Helicopter covers the screen as you try to snipe other players out (Like the Helicopter level in Pilot Wings!)

...Yeah, this will never happen. :'( Edited 1 weeks ago by Funny_Colour_Blue
    Isabelle is definitely a great addition.

Anyway, I still really want Ryu Hayabusa in Smash as a Koei Tecmo rep.
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #5 Lord-Bob-Bree 7 days ago
    Golden Sun's Isaac. Or any of the characters from the first two games.
    Quoting my personal wishlist from another site:

- A character from ARMS: I personally would go for a character with some sort of double jump (Ribbon Girl, Min Min) or floating capability (Twintelle, Mechanica) as their move-set would adapt better to Smash, but let’s be honest, as the face of the game, Spring Man is the more likely character to be included.

- Another character from F-Zero: One curious thing of Ultimate is how many of the new comers are villains or antagonists in their game series, so I would like to see Black Shadow joining the fray.

- Another character from the Xenoblade Chronicles series: Either Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, or Rex with Pyra/Mithra (as a double character of sorts ala Ice Climbers) from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

- A quirky unexpected character along the lines of Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., the Duck Hunt dog or the Wii Fit trainer: My personal pick would be an anthropomorphic Game Boy if only so we get the complete cast from Captain N in the game. Alternatively, I think Sakurai joked about having the LABO robot in Smash and I can’t help it but think “well, why not?”

- Another pair of echo fighters: Ken from Street Fighter as an echo of Ryu is a mandatory inclusion at this point as far as I’m concerned. Also X from Mega Man X as an echo of classic Mega Man.

- As for new Assist Trophies: I would like to see Rayman, Shantae, the four champions from Breath of the Wild (Urbosa, Daruk, Mipha and Revali) and some of the rival bounty hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters (especially Sylux). I mean, it would be great to have all of them as playable characters, but I’m also trying to be realistic here.
    I'd like to see some more Xenoblade representation. Maybe Rex could semi-mirror Shulk but without the mode switching? Pyra/Mythra could also be a cool addition.
    Seeing how Smash Bros is all about fan service and quirky characters, and thinking back at which Nintendo properties I miss the most, the first thing that comes to mind is Miiverse.
    Come on, a Miiverse fighter could be awesome! The character itself could be one of those green outline characters from the Miiverse icon, and Sakurai and co would have plenty of options for creative movements and attacks using typical Miiverse user drawings. It could turn out like an even weirder version of Mr. Game and Watch, while also paying tribute to Nintendo's late and usually pretty great social network. What's not to like?Edited 1 weeks ago by Kochambra
    I'm with Matt Kim on having Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes and I'd add Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver to keep the Travis Train in motion.Edited 1 weeks ago by chaoticBeat
    Obscurities I'd love to see:

- Stanley Bugman (Donkey Kong 3)
    - Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
    - Foreman Spike (Wrecking Crew)
    - Professor Hector (Gyromite)
    - Bubbles (Clu Clu Land
    Gotta go with the character I submitted for the Smash Ballot whom I feel would still make a fantastic fit for Smash:

Wonder Red from The Wonderful 101

His unite morph skills would offer a great move-set, plus through the use of alt costumes/echo fighters, all the other core members of the team could be featured too! Couple that with a Wonderful 101 stage accompanied by that incredible soundtrack...damn that would be amazing.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #13 LBD_Nytetrayn 7 days ago
    One I'd like to see that I think is extremely likely is Shadow the Hedgehog -- as an Echo Fighter, of course.

"Echo? I think you're the Echo Fighter around here!"

We should also get Ecco the Dolphin, so we can say there's an Ecco Fighter as well.
    I personally want the off the wall picks everyone will hate. Cloud and Bayonetta have opened the gates in my eyes to anything and everyone.

I want to see Lora/Jin as a combo character, Goku and Master Chief. The internet would explode, be reformed from a single cell only to be blown up again by pre-teen (also man child) rage.
    Isabelle was my last long-shot wish after K. Rool, the Belmonts, and the return of Duck Hunt so... no one! I am 100% satisfied with the roster as it stands and I'm just thrilled that we're getting such a beefy selection of characters.

...

(but paper mario, banjo-kazooie, and gengar would be incredible additions)
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #16 The-Challenger 7 days ago
    Just give me an alternate echo-fighter for every single character in the game. Which would effectively double the roster.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #17 Tetragrammaton 7 days ago
    @InsertTokenz SECONDING Wonder Red! An absolutely perfect match for Smash with built-in echo fighter potential and the chance for a kickass morphing stage, and that music!
    @docexe Speaking of Echo fighters, or rather characters who are like Echo Fighters but still have enough differences that they don't directly fall in that mold (i.e. Wolf, Ganondorf), I really want Doctor Eggman as a heavier Bowser Jr. clone. A lot of the work is already done, just change up a few of the attacks a bit and give him a different Final Smash.
    Always felt Slime from Dragon Quest could fit. If you want to talk about iconic video game characters it's pretty much there (at least in Japan). Even have a Slime Tank like in Rocket Slime for Final Smash.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #20 Godots17thCup 6 days ago
    While I'd really like it if Arms and Xenoblade 2 both received some representation, my dream Smash character is Paper Mario, ideally with the partner characters from the first two games functioning as his various special and smash moves.

I'm also hoping Donkey Kong Jr. can claim a spot as the out-of-nowhere, historically-significant and/or deep cut Nintendo character (Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, pre-Uprising Pit, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt) that every new Smash roster seems to get. The poor little guy has been absent for far too long.Edited 6 days ago by Godots17thCup
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #21 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
    The one the only Shantae. I really want her to join the roster. It will make my day.
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #22 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #23 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #24 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #25 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #26 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #27 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #28 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #29 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #30 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #31 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #32 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for SebastianStosegan #33 SebastianStosegan 6 days ago
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #34 donkeyintheforest 6 days ago
    @fstim82 I second pyra/mythra

edit: also a nia/dromarch team like duckhunt wih dromarch as her blade Edited 6 days ago by donkeyintheforest
    @bellaweny121 Dr. Abaka for Smash!
    With Saints Row 3 coming to Switch, it would be hilarious to have Johnny Gat and his purple... toy show up. With his final smash being Kinzie showing up yelling “Teacup!”
  • Avatar for DoreenWinchester #37 DoreenWinchester 6 days ago
    Deleted September 4000 by Unknown
    I'm honestly kind of astounded there hasn't been any ARMS content announced yet.
    Hitler from the original Bionic Commando.
    Rex and Pyra, and the Slime from DQ.
    This written piece gives fastidious understanding yet.schnauzer-nain.net
  • Avatar for matthewboychuk25 #42 matthewboychuk25 4 days ago
    I like Matt Kim's choices. Travis or Shantae would be amazing.

Comments