What Game Are You Playing This Weekend?

COMMUNITY QUESTION | It's November. Games are out. What are you playing?

Article by USgamer Team, .

It's the weekend, hurrah! BlizzCon 2018 is going on, but none of us are there. We do have "virtual tickets" though, so look forward to additional coverage of all the news coming out of the Blizzard convention today and tomorrow.

Otherwise, we're all tired and very busy. That's code for we almost forgot about the weekly Community Question before it was too late. Never fear though! Let's talk about the games we plan on playing this weekend. Are you sinking more hours into Red Dead Redemption 2? Did you pick up one of those new Taiko Drum Master games? Just diving into your backlog? Let us know in the comments!

I'm using this as an excuse to recommend this game again.
Caty McCarthy Features Editor

As for me, just ol' Caty, I am playing all of the stuff listed above. I also just wrapped up Return of the Obra Dinn, which is capital-g Great. While the ending was a little underwhelming, that game is full of so many shocking and amazing moments that I'm willing to forgive it.

Related Tags

Diablo III for Switch, which I have had no interest in, but my partner insists I play to the point where he just shoved a copy into my hands so *shrug*
    Celeste on my Switch. I got to chapter 5 but after dying in chapter 4 357 times I've come to the conclusion that I need to spread this game out just a teeeeeensy bit! It's very good though and will likely be a GotY contender for me at the pace it's going. But Into the Breach is still my baby for 2018!

I'll likely alternate Celeste with Return of the Obra Dinn which is also looking like a GotY consideration. I last played it a week ago before class, social obligations *cough*Halloween parties*cough* took up all my free time. But it is such a compelling game and while it doesn't make the same impact as Papers, Please it comes out as equally distinct and mesmerizing. My current verdict on Obra Dinn is it's a thinker, not a stinker!

Aside from those two very serious games one of the constant go-to games on my phone that I periodically play just because whenever and wherever is Threes. I would not be surprised if I played a few rounds of that either.
    Diablo III for Switch and Fallout 4 on PS4. I am not looking forward to Fallout 76 at all, I just got 4 with all the dlc a while ago and never got into it until recently. I'm enjoying it even if the colors are a bit washed out with many shades of brown and gray. It's relaxing to slowly become overpowered and use V.A.T.S to blow raiders' heads off. I am going through a lot of transitions at the moment and the relaxing grind of Diablo will be comforting without a doubt. :)Edited 2 weeks ago by chaoticBeat
    Diablo 3 on the Switch. Might go back to Dark Souls for a few hours so I can get through Blighttown - been stuck there for a few hours now.
    Actraiser, on the Wii shell of my Wii U.
    After all this Deltarune buzz, I decided to FINALLY try Undertale this week. And, of course, I love it. It's such a natural fit for the switch!!
  • Avatar for jordandavis48 #7 jordandavis48 12 days ago
    Ganbare Goemon: Sarawareta Ebisumaru! , the color version on the European Konami GB Collection Vol 3. Who else wonders from time to time if you might be the only one in the world playing a particular game at a snapshot in time? ;)
    Hour 60 of Octopath Traveler, circling in on the fourth chapters for each character.
    Probably The Silver Case or NieR:Automata, but the recent release of the sequel did get me to put Red Dead Redemption back in the ol' Xbox 360. Been playing it on and off, messing about.

Gonna try and beat something (that's not a short indie) before I pick up another new game.
    I'm going to just be repeating myself for a few months since I'm playing Dragon Quest 11. Mostly just tapping it with a pickax hoping to finish it before the end of the year.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #11 Tetragrammaton 12 days ago
    I'm playing "oh god I forgot NaNoWriMo starts this week", and also Jackbox 5.
    Ghost Recon Wildlands ghost mode on extreme difficulty, because I enjoy suffering and damnation. Probably some No Man's Sky when I want to sit on the couch and relax; it's still my go-to game for chill gaming.
    I'm trying out the Legacy of the Dragonborn mod for Skyrim this weekend. I walked into the mod's museum for the first time tonight and got a deathly chill down my spine. This mod exists for one purpose: to break me. I've occasionally tried to fully complete games before, but this mod has my number. Every single unique item in the game has a display, and it adds more unique items on top of that.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #14 LBD_Nytetrayn 12 days ago
    I need to begin playing Starlink in earnest.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #15 VotesForCows 12 days ago
    @chaoticBeat Huh, I just started Fallout 4 too. I played it at launch and bounced off it, but I'm really enjoying it this time around.
    I have been particularly busy with that Halloween event from Fortnite.

Might also play Manhunt on my PS3 and finish the last chapter of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse.Edited 2 weeks ago by docexe
    I had zero urge to go back to Destiny 2, but then they gave it away for free on PC and I decided to take it for a spin. And well, it's still Destiny, but playing on M+KB just feels so different, like I'm cheating the game. I spent a good three or four hours working on the campaign all over again last night. I doubt I'll buy the expansion though. I haven't even finished the second to last one on PS4.
    Other than that, maybe still puttering along in DQ11.
    I've been catching up on Netflix stuff. Finished Voltron and working on Castlevania. Both are very enjoyable.Edited 2 weeks ago by Pandalulz
    I am eschewing all other games besides World of Warcraft. I bought six months worth of subscriptions back when Battle for Azeroth launched, and I might as well make the most of it.

Usually I play for about three months after an expansion and then quit, but I am forcing myself to play through the entire subscription this time.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #19 The-Challenger 12 days ago
    Fallout 4 and the FFX Remaster on PC. Then Super Mario Party at some point in the day.Edited 2 weeks ago by The-Challenger
    I’ve been alternating back and forth between Pokémon Platinum and Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Both are first time play throughs (although I sunk so many hours into Birthright, Conquest doesn’t feel that way). I’m really enjoying Sinnoh so far. I bought a second 3DS partially for self-trading, so my team is the three starters, along with Drifloon, Buneary, and Shinx.

I’m about to take the dog out for some Pokémon Go.
    Still getting through Majora’s Mask 3DS. Just got to the Stone Temple. It’s really great, I just get too distracted by too many other games.
    I’ll probably progress a little on Valkyria Chronicles 1 on Switch. I love having it portable.
    Maybe Mario Sunshine will get some time. I’ve come to appreciate the difficulty of it after the collect-a-thon that was Mario Odyssey. Mario Odyssey was great, but there were so many moons it hardly felt like an achievement to ‘beat’ it. Sunshine, Galaxy, and 64 actually felt rewarding as each Shine or Star was a challenge. Anyway...I’ve been working through Sunshine again and I am really enjoying its controller tossing difficulty.Edited 2 weeks ago by jeffcorry
    @jordandavis48 : I actually bought this while I was in Europe many years ago! Still have all the packaging. That's where I also ended up getting my copy of Metal Gear Solid on GBC.

As for what I'm playing, I'm rolling old school as well, except it's with Thief Gold. I've got a friend of mine that's been trying to get me to play it for some time now, and one of the gaming months on Hardcore Retro Gaming lent itself well to the theme, even if I haven't finished it yet and we're on to Natsume November.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #23 Funny_Colour_Blue 12 days ago
    @jordandavis48 I love Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja. It bums me out how konami didn't make a multiplayer party game on the gamecube, PS2 or even PS3.

Like, the last entry, as far as I know, was the Nintendo DS entry we never got over here, but like, the snes entries did so much for 2D platformers by adding that "piggieback" feature, the series like metal gear, silent hill and so many others, is so underutilized.

They did an interview with the creator on Game Center CX; he's a pretty chill, funny dude!Edited 2 weeks ago by Funny_Colour_Blue
    Mafia 3. I have never been as satisfied with a GTA-style game since Sleeping Dogs.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #25 donkeyintheforest 11 days ago
    Well I guess I'll be the first one to admit I'm playing RDR2. I've only played about an hour but I have already managed to accidentally kill someone by pressing the wrong button prompt (damn you Xbox for thinking it's ok to use the same letters as nintendo, but putting them in all the wrong places!). However, I think friends are coming over tonight so it'll take backseat to Mario Party.
    @VotesForCows Nice! I had a similar experience with 4 as I did with 3: bouncing off at first and then becoming utterly immersed in it down the line. For me the VATS system is one of those super satisfying gameplay mechanics that I just think about when I'm not playing and want to come back to. I'm currently level 25 and I focused on the action girl perk so I can regenerate VATS points quickly and snap right back into it. I'm really looking forward to tackling far harbor soon, it looks like it has some nice environment, enemy, and weapon variety different from the base game. How are you developing your character?
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #27 VotesForCows 11 days ago
    @chaoticBeat Very differently to last time. I went in blind and did my usual build based around charisma, which obviously doesn't work in 4. So this time I'm leaning into agility and perception, similarly focusing on fast regen of AP, and using rifles. So only rarely fighting out of VATS, which makes it a lot more fun! Also being pretty unpleasant to everyone for a change, though again (sadly) opportunities are limited for that.
    I just started Bravely Default. I only played about an hour, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Final Fantasy-like charm I experienced in the first hour. Hopefully that’s a good sign of things to come. The battle system, which involves a risk/reward mechanic around storing up turns and then unleashing multiple turns at once, has piqued my interest thus far.
  • Avatar for mouse-clicker #29 mouse-clicker 10 days ago
    Does anyone else have the problem where, when you finally get some free time to play a game, maybe check out something new that you've been waiting on, you can't decide on what to actually play and just do nothing at all?

Does anyone have ways they try to cut through that indecision and just play a game?
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #30 Funny_Colour_Blue 10 days ago
    @mouse-clicker this is a good question - Polygon had a monthly feature on this - Also, one of 1up.com's sister fansites (I can't remember the name now unfortunately) but they had a backlog diary and a roulette wheel, where you could keep track and choose what games you were playing so you could begin to tackle the games you haven't gotten around to yet.

I had this problem a lot during 2012, but after my PS3 broke, now I'm just thankful for whatever I can get my hands on. What got me out of that groove though, was just, purchasing and playing smarter: physical/digital space and free time is a major factor when purchasing new video games - I restrict myself from purchasing open world/sandbox games and tend to go after shorter more modest experiences, cause I know I'll never be able to finish large open world games; they're just not for me.

Honestly, I can't stand the word "backlog". I think the idea of feeling guilty over a library of games you purchase in order to have access to, is dumb. We've never felt guilty about the long list of music and movies we've acquired over the years, so why should we feel guilty about games? So just play what you like, when you feel like it. If a particular game doesn't hold your interest for long, it's not necessarily your fault. I think this is just the end result of living in an era where game developers are making games, longer.Edited 2 weeks ago by Funny_Colour_Blue

Comments