What Game Would You Like to See Make a Comeback?

COMMUNITY QUESTION | With Rage 2 maybe being on the horizon, what unexpected game or series would you like to see return?

Article by USgamer Team, .

I usually take leaks like the one that happened earlier this week with a huge grain of salt, and yet, Bethesda's only seemed to confirm that weirdo Rage 2 tease with more suspicious images. Our very own Matt Kim thinks it's likely to be a Prey-style sequel—where it's nothing like the original Rage at all. That probably wouldn't be such a bad idea.

It's also about time for a new id Software game. The excellent Doom came out back in 2016. Two years ago. So an announcement for a new project from the developer would be very welcomed.

In honor of this "wow Rage 2 is probably actually happening" news, our community question this week is this: what long-forgotten game or series would you love to see get a sequel or reimagining?

Mike Williams Reviews Editor

Where is Final Fantasy Tactics, Square Enix? I mean, seriously, when in the world is Final Fantasy Tactics? You'll lavish praise upon the series and get director and designer Yasumi Matsuno to contribute to Final Fantasy XIV content taking place in Ivalice. I'm certain you've seen the numerous Kickstarters for games that are just Final Fantasy Tactics again, including Children of Zodiarcs, published through your own Collective program.

Nippon Ichi Software has mostly survived on its signature tactics game, Disgaea. And yet, where are you? I know you have the power to get creators back together; you've shown it with Final Fantasy XIV and the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake. You had Hiroyuki Ito and Hiroshi Minagawa working on Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age! I know you can do this, Square Enix!

All I'm asking is for a new Final Fantasy Tactics. It doesn't have to be the most expensive game ever produced. If you want to go all Octopath Traveler on it, I'm down with that. Tactics, goddamn you! And not for mobile. Put it on the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Make dreams come true.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

I just want Quintent to start making games again, man. I just want another Actraiser, or another Soul Blazer, or some other RPG or action game where the hero "enjoys" a bittersweet ending or just straight-up dies / fades away because he's not needed anymore. You win! Now go to sleep and never wake up.

TIRED: Killing God in JRPGs.

WIRED: Being God in JRPGs, especially when you're kind of awkward at the "Heavenly Powers" thing so you have to descend to Earth and equip a sword and then you fall in love and all that other weird shit that comes with being mortal.

Matt Kim News Editor

I don't have a long answer for this question: I want P.T. back. Sadly, it'll never happen and the dream is dead.

As for reboots that also won't happen anytime soon, I'd love to see Darkstalkers again in some form or another. Especially since the fighting games we see year after year keep getting wilder (Dragon Ball FighterZ). I'll even settle for Darkstalkers characters making guest appearances in fighting games not featuring Marvel characters.

Caty McCarthy Features Editor

Brink 2. Or Advance Wars. Or Beyond Good and Evil 2 if it wasn't whatever the heck Destiny-like hellscape it seems to be now. Just kidding y'all. My answer is clear and true: Gitaroo Man.

Gitaroo Man is a rhythm game with a killer soundtrack from the Japanese band COIL, and unforgettable art design from Mitsuru Nakamura. The late 1990s and early 2000s were a golden era for rhythm games, and Gitaroo Man was emblematic of the genre's crazy spirit. I'm still bummed that Project Rap Rabbit, the project between Gitaroo Man's creator Keiichi Yano and PaRappa the Rapper's Masaya Matsuura, didn't get funded last year. But that's okay. One day the world will recognize Gitaroo Man's greatness and resurrect it.

Also Rez 2 man. REZ 2. Area X in Rez: Infinite was everything. Hear me Mizuguchi.

Related Tags

• Avatar for ReptilianSamurai #1 ReptilianSamurai 3 months ago
    Jazz Jackrabbit. That series was my childhood. The original CliffyB game, with incredible animation, funky amazing jazz music, and imaginative sci-fi platforming. Jazz Jackrabbit 2 introduced online play and a level editor that was amazingly flexible way before Little Big Planet and Super Mario Maker, and it did it better too. I had endless hours of fun making my own levels and releasing them on Jazz2Online.com (and it's precursors). Btw, if you play, I'm known as Another Jazz 2 fan (AJ2f) over there. Yup... I was real creative with the naming thing as a teenager.

The third game, which transitioned to 3D and used the Unreal engine (before using the Unreal engine was a thing) looked amazing in the demo they made. And they couldn't find a publisher and it got cancelled. Then Epic moved on.

At least the games are finally... FINALLY... available on Good Old Games (gog.com). Took them long enough, and there's still a modest but passionate and active fan community out there.

I would be beside myself if this series was revived.Edited May 2018 by ReptilianSamurai
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #2 Captain-Gonru 3 months ago
    I'd love a baseball sim game not named The Show. MVP Baseball, MLB2K, hell All-Star Baseball or Ken Griffey Baseball would be fine.
    Not that there are huge problems with The Show. But since nothing short of the Reality Gem is going to make Sony put it on a non-Sony console, I needs some help from elsewhere.
    Since Mike already mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics, I will go for Skies of Arcadia and Suikoden.

In some respects, Nostalgia on the Nintendo DS was sort of like an unofficial sequel to Skies of Arcadia, but outside of that, the game has remained dormant for far too long. Time to remedy that.
    I could handle a new Klonoa game. The second one on the PS2 was nothing short of delightful.

Mother 4 would also be pretty darn sweet...
    Sonic Shuffle
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #6 Godots17thCup 3 months ago
    I still occasionally find myself daydreaming about a Suikoden VI or a Power Stone 3, even though I've (mostly) made my peace with both series' deaths. Hell, in light of Konami's changing approach to game development over the years, poor Suikoden's passing is probably a mercy.
  • Avatar for boxofficepoison #7 boxofficepoison 3 months ago
    On the never going to happen in a million years old school suikoden. In the probably never going to happen Panzer Dragoon. Either as saga or as a shooter.
    POLICENAUTS
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #9 Tetragrammaton 3 months ago
    Great question. Fair warning though; it can be kind of a monkey's paw...

I think I'll echo Mike's suggestion of FFT, but take it one step further: how about a new Ogre Battle? It was supposed to be a 10-game series, where characters from previous games would show up, and locations and people just mentioned early on would end up being plot points. We never got more than... three games in the actual arc maybe, since I think Knight of Lodis and Person of Lordly Caliber were not part of the planned cycle and were gaiden games.

Political fantasy is *in* thanks to Game of Thrones, give Matsuno his IP back, get Sakimoto and Iwata (not that one) do rearrange all the famous themes, and put Alexander O. Smith on notice.

Sing to me of a time long past...
    A time when men answered to power alone.
    Ruled by steel...
    Steeped in darkness...
    Sing of an age called Xytegenia!Edited May 2018 by Tetragrammaton
    Big huge giant yes to new Quintet games (an adventure-RPG where dying and reincarnation are part of the hook!), Final Fantasy Tactics 2 (I like FFTA, but I feel like FFT is a one-off; even the other "Ivalice" games have the wrong vibe), Beyond Skies of Arcadia (it's in space! with sailboats. sailing on that space wind) and Suikoden VI.

I'd really love to see the open-world Panzer Dragoon that Yukio Futatsugi described years ago. And Mega Man Legends 3, even though I've never played the others. Or a new Jet Set Radio. But that one's a monkey's paw wish; JSR is something of its time, and original works like Hover taking it as inspiration are probably a better way to go. I think I generally prefer originality and short-lived passion project series over franchises that get milked dry.

I'd also love to see Xenogears: It's Finally Done Baking Edition, but that's never going to happen.
    People have already covered what I'd pick, so I'm going to go for my standby: Allegiance. People scratch their heads and look at me funny when I cite an obscure space dogfighting sim with asymmetric multiplayer and real time strategy elements as one of my favorite games ever made for PC, but nothing has ever come close to what it was like to play that game.
    GITAROOMAN hell yes. Born to be bone is fantastic and the rest is great aswell.

As for another series.... zone of the enders!
    I would love to see Darkstalkers return, but the thing is I don't trust Capcom of being capable of pulling it off by themselves. Really, I think a Darkstalkers revival would be done best via a collab between Capcom and ARC System Works. Like, ARC knows how to pull off heavily animated fighters, ARC could get a good faux 2D look going that would be far better than anything Capcom would do in 3D.
    Otogi would be a stellar comeback for From Software.

Panzer Dragoon either as a rail shooter or RPG would be equally stellar. I've never played Zwei or Saga but the original and Orta are both wonderful.

I'd even allow Rare to make a new game. You know. Now that we know they can release a functioning product maybe let them make a new whatever the hell they want to make out of whatever many dozens of games they have that haven't seen a sequel in however many dozens of years.

Actually, just give me Panzer Dragoon.
    Ninja Gaiden. Seriously, why isn't Ryu Hayabusa back yet? Dark Souls has pretty much conditioned a new generation to love getting its ass beat, but the franchise that's been famous for being hard as f*** since the 8 bit days is nowhere to be found.

Thankfully, NG is somewhat likely to make a reappearance, but if we're talking "pie in the sky", then I'd love if Growlanser made a return. They've never been "must plays", but they definitely had a flavor all their own.
    I know I keep repeating myself but whatever: F-Zero.

I know at this point is unlikely to happen, but there is really no better time to revive that series.

They already brought back Metroid and Star Fox, and as I have mentioned before, a futuristic racer with "cool" characters would just fit perfectly with games like Splatoon and ARMS.
    If we are talking about non-Nintendo franchises: Prototype. Open World games are a dime a dozen these days, and yet there isn't one in the current generation that let's you become a shape-shifting flesh-eating overpowered monster, so...
    The classic Phantasy Star JRPG series. It's high time we got a sequel to the awesome Phantasy Star 4.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #19 WiIIyTheAntelope 3 months ago
    I'd like to see a new game in the Katamari series. They'd be a hard sell as a $60 retail title, but it's absolutely perfect as a $15-20 download game.

And yes, I remember that they've released phone games since the last console release, but like 99.9% of phone games, they don't count.
    In terms of out-of-nowhere ideas: Last Bronx. I never even seen footage of the game until recently but maaaan does that look cool for the time. A Soul Edge/Calibur-esque weapons-based 3d fighter siblingto Virtua Fighter in modern/near future setting?! I've daydreamed about what other weapon-based fighters would look like, little did I know this little gem existed. It was even pretty successful in Japan, how did we not get a sequel or two?! Okay I know the answer (Saturn) but still there is so much potential there I'd love to see a resurrection.

Goddammit Saturn, you really were a cool system, why did Sega have to screw up so badly?
    Quintet is a marvelous pick, but in my heart of hearts, I'd really just want for either the Mother series to come back or for the Silent Hill series to come back and not be terrible.
  • Avatar for JinjoHayabusa #22 JinjoHayabusa 3 months ago
    A reimagining of Zelda 2, complete with side scrolling combat.
    I post on here about Ninja Gaiden all the time, but I'm ready for a new game in that series, be it in 3d or 2d. And I agree with@NateDizzy that gamers are more receptive than ever to hard games, and Team Ninja has some good will with gamers as a result of Nioh.
    Some great choices here!
    Personally, I would love a new Laura Bow adventure. I'm not entirely sure that a current team would be able to recapture the charm of The dagger of Amon Ra and specially The Colonel's Bequest, but I would love for someone to give it a try. Maybe the team behind the Blackwell series?
    I wouldn't say no to a new Bangai-O game, either.
    And how about a new Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan, to put my Switch's touch screen through its paces?
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #25 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 months ago
    Vectorman
    Golden Axe
    Ice Climber
    Kid Icarus
    Shinobi
    2D Ninja Gaiden

I trust explanations aren't needed (but are available upon request).Edited May 2018 by LBD_Nytetrayn
  • Avatar for SkywardShadow #26 SkywardShadow 3 months ago
    I have to say Ogre Battle.
  • Avatar for Cabbage-head-must-di #27 Cabbage-head-must-di 3 months ago
    @LBD_Nytetrayn How awesome would a new wizards and warriors game be with brand new music from David Wise? GIMMIE
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #28 donkeyintheforest 3 months ago
    I see your FFT and I'll raise you FFTA3DS. Use the same sprites, add a few more and create a bunch of new scenarios. Even change up the battle system a bit like was done between the GBA and DS version.

Ok I know everyone thinks FFT is better because its more serious, but the graphics were murkier, the gameplay (and load times!) so much slower, and the story much bleaker. That's all my opinion though (except the load times); lets have a truce; lets join teams!!!!

I guess they both take place in Ivalice, so I'd also be fine with an entirely new take that improves on the best of both;
    -with full high quality 3D models and map (still isometric pls)
    -in addition to humans pls include the Bangaa, Viera, etc
    -make judge based missions side quests so yall can stop complaining, but those of us who like the challenge of building a diverse team that can overcome all kinds of puzzles can still have fun
    -mix up the story so you can have the cloak & dagger along with fun adventures where kids get "drunk" off bread (we want the day old bread; the hard stuff!)
    -diversify the landscapes to the variety found across FFT, FFTA, FF12, etc!
    -Airships!
    -improved multiplayer (ffta was pretty imbalanced) and coop
    -terrain modification? (blowing craters in hills with spells, etc)
    -increased job types (catomancer from Bravely second, new classes, etc)
    -Switch release lol

edit: include Matsuno if his he is at all able and comfortable doing so!Edited May 2018 by donkeyintheforest
    Hmm, let’s see...

Ridge Racer
    Final Fight
    Wave Race
    Actraiser
    Axelay
    Jet Set Radio
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #30 SuperShinobi 3 months ago
    I'd like flight games to come back. I was always a fan of the genre all the way from Atari's Star Wars coin-op and Sega's Afterburner to Amiga flight sims, Pilotwings, X-Wing, Thunderhawk, Crimson Skies, Rogue Squadron and the Ace Combat series. It seems like a forgotten genre, even though there's now the perfect medium for flight games - VR. Hopefully Ace Combat 7 won't disappoint and I'd love to see some more VR flight games after that.

I'd like some more classic 2D games to come back as modernized high-end 2D games with production values on par with something like Rayman Legends, Ori & Blind Forest and Cuphead. Those were all very successful commercially and there's demand for 2D games with high production values. For example Ghosts & Goblins, R-Type, Shinobi and Gradius could all be suitable IPs for a 2D revival.

Lastly, a new Outrun, Project Gotham Racing and Virtua Fighter, but only if made by a decent dev. Also, Ridge Racer and Syphon Filter. So many classic Playstation games have already returned on the PS4, so why not those also?Edited 2 times. Last edited May 2018 by SuperShinobi
    Dragonforce. All 2D sprites please.
  • Avatar for Mikki-Saturn #32 Mikki-Saturn 3 months ago
    How about a proper Legend of Zelda game - maybe they could bring that back? Lol, just kidding - that’s a joke guys.

But in all seriousness, I would love to see some of the “traditional” action/adventure franchises get new entries. How about Landstalker, Alundra, Beyond/Legend of Oasis, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of the Mystical Ninja (I’m thinking of the more Zelda-esque ones, like the N64 game). All of these franchises received two or more entries but are long abandoned. A lot of the features or mechanics of these games have kind of been absorbed into other genres, but I would love to see something in the more classic vein again.
    Advance Wars for sure. With the recent success of Fire Emblem they really need to give Advance Wars another shot.
    I have to agree with Matt here on PT. The Silent Hill series was finally getting back to the horror perfection of the original trilogy with PT. I actually really enjoyed SH4 too as a spin-off and I always wished they would've continued with an anthology focused direction rather than drag out Pyramid Head with each sequel and attempt to further explain the plot of SH1.

PT seemed to be going in a different direction with it's focus on a new family. I'd like to see the series picked up again, possibly with the town set during different past decades in a planned out anthology but from the same development team in order to create the same but different cohesiveness of 1-4.
    Shinobi! Or FF Tactics, or Tactics Ogre.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn I didn't think that I would see Shinobi in here anywhere. You have good taste.
  • Avatar for scottygrayskull #37 scottygrayskull 3 months ago
    Star Control. Or at least find out more of what Toys For Bob is working on.

That or the Crusader: No Remorse/Regret games. Could do some fun things with that on modern consoles, just as long as it keeps the FMV camp!
    Timesplitters! By some accounts, the fourth game was 99% complete before it was scrapped... so even seeing that build dropped would be a bonus. But a new full-fledged screwball timetravel adventure through tropey locales and a fresh mapmaker mode? Ahhhh.
  • Avatar for johannesamstrupander #40 johannesamstrupander 3 months ago
    Deleted May 2018 by johannesamstrupander
  • Avatar for johannesamstrupander #41 johannesamstrupander 3 months ago
    Warcraft 4 or the Witcher. I know the Witcher is recent but they did state it was the end for now and I want more! No game has really been able to satisfy me after finishing the Witcher, it is just too damn good and none of these horrible DLC filled modern loot box games can fill the void. CDR PROJEKT RED just did everything better than their competitors
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #42 LBD_Nytetrayn 3 months ago
    @SuperShinobi Ooh, OutRun and Pilotwings, good ones! Wish I'd remembered those.
  • Avatar for TheSensationalSean #43 TheSensationalSean 3 months ago
    Legacy of Kain - it was such magnificent universe and the characters were amazing.

Metal Gear Solid, but only if Kojima returns.
  • Avatar for FitzChivalry #44 FitzChivalry 3 months ago
    I need more Contra in my life.
    A sequel to Fallout New Vegas developed by Obsidian.
  • Avatar for Happy-Mask-Salesman #46 Happy-Mask-Salesman 3 months ago
    Space Station: Silicon Valley
    Easy

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Even a HD update/remaster would be enough. Anything to get this into the hands of gamers again.

Bonus shouts:

Fzero
    Wave Race
    Kid Icarus
    Micro Machines (an actual decent budget attempt not a cash grab)
  • Avatar for jumpin_jeeps #48 jumpin_jeeps 3 months ago
    Crimson Skies (except on Playstation this time).

Pew pew!!
    I'd like to see another Chrono game. That'd be cool.
    I want Phantasy Star 5.
  • Avatar for aftermarketradio #51 aftermarketradio 3 months ago
    Some of the coolest characters designs and one of the most interesting RPG series has been forever lost to time. I think the world is ready for another Breath of Fire.

Comments