What's Your Dream Superhero Game?

COMMUNITY QUESTION | What superhero would you like to see get their own game next?

Article by USgamer Team, .

Today is unofficially Spider-Man day! Do you know what that means? It means that Marvel's Spider-Man, Insomniac's PS4 exclusive, is out today. Is the swinging good? Of course it is!

You can find Mike's review of Spider-Man here. In honor of its release, we thought it'd be fun to dream up our ideal superhero video game. Let us know yours too in the comments!

Kat Bailey Editor-in-Chief

During PAX West I took part in a panel in which we pitched ideas for a Superman game. My idea was the most conventional of them, but I still like the idea. The basic elevator pitch is "Witcher plus Superman," with a depowered Superman steadily regaining his abilities through progression. Areas would include Metropolis, Gotham City, and Smallville, and combat would be environmentally focused, with Superman finding clever ways to stop enemies without killing them. Heroes like Batman would put in appearances, and depending on your decisions, you could end up fighting them.

While Batman has had many great games over the years, Superman has tended to get a fairly short shift, mostly because he doesn't fit as neatly into traditional game categories. But I believe that the problems facing a Superman game, specifically the fact that he's effectively invincible, make for some interesting opportunities for a clever designer. And anyway, this game would let Superman choose whether to date Wonder Woman or Lois Lane. And we all know who the right choice is (it's Wonder Woman).

Mike Williams Reviews Editor

I didn't come up with this idea originally, but I sadly forget the very first person who mentioned it to me. I'd love to see a Luke Cage/Iron Fist game by the Yakuza Studio. It would work a lot like Yakuza 0, with Cage playing like Kiryu and Iron Fist being closer to Majima. You set the game in Harlem, Chinatown, and Hell's Kitchen, giving each district the kind of density and life the Yakuza series is known for. Darts, arcades, and mahjong could transition over, but you could also get some New York flavor with chess, basketball, double dutch, three-card monte, and more.

You don't need to stop at Luke Cage and Iron Fist though. I think that's just a good place to start. Jessica Jones should feature in some capacity, and I think she'd be great in the first game, but you could save her from the next. Likewise, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing are two characters that you could easily add to the roster. Daredevil, I'd honestly skip because the character is more acrobatic than a Yakuza-style game would allow. You can have him as Matt Murdock, but his heroic alter-ego doesn't fit.

This would require some logistical handling, as it's easier for the Yakuza Studios team to visit locations in Japan than those in the United States, and the handling certain aspects of Luke Cage would require a deft, and likely American hand, but overall, it's an experience that I really want. Make it happen Marvel and Sega.

Matt Kim News Editor

At first I was going to say that I'd really like to see a Marvel-based fighting game outside of the Marvel vs. Capcom series. But as I thought about it more what I really want is just Injustice but Marvel. Injustice did such a good job building an elseworld story for its DC characters that isn't just compelling, but actually good. I'd love to see a dark or alternative take on the Marvel characters in much the same way.

Now of course we've seen from the comics how making classic superheroes dark and gritty doesn't always work out *cough*Hydra Cap*cough* but not all of the characters in Injustice are dark for darkness sake. The MvC universe—as much as I love it—plays the book pretty straight and basically translates the most popular versions of Marvel heroes in fighting game form. But as we've seen from Spider-Man on PS4, a little reinvention goes a long way.

Caty McCarthy Features Editor

I'm not really up on superheroes, honestly. I find most modern Marvel movies pretty boring and same-y. I like Spider-Man and read a lot of Amazing Spider-Man as a kid; I'm also a fan of some of Batman's meatier graphic novels. So, I'm excited to pick up Insomniac's Spider-Man this weekend. Otherwise, when it comes to superheroes, I guess the one I'd love to see is a straight up Spider-Verse game. Give me multiple Spider-Mans. Give me Spider-Gwen. Multiplayer shit. I dunno. That's a million dollar idea right there, Sony.

Related Tags

• Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #1 LBD_Nytetrayn 14 days ago
    Kat's idea is like the one I had when Supes got de-powered during that whole "Super-Flare" thing a few years back.

That aside, though? I'd still love a good Iron Man game. And/or Batman Beyond.

I also want a new Darkwing Duck game. That counts, right? Make it like the Arkham games, but goofier.
    I'd like the whole Justice League to have an Arkham style game. I guess that's not very creative but I like the Justice League cartoons a lot.

Wolverine would be a real good choice. Wolverine vs Nathan Drake - Nathan Drake's healing factor combined with Batman's combat.

Jessica Jones would make a badass story-based mystery game.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #3 Captain-Gonru 14 days ago
    @LBD_Nytetrayn Did you play either Iron Man game from the 360/PS3 era? The controls hampered it (to put it mildly), but the concept was pretty solid. A revisit might be in order.

As for my own idea, I'll repitch one I've brought up before. Set in Gotham City, you play as one of Batman's many villains, and go about trying to take over the whole city, Civilization-style.
    A sequel to the first Deadpool game would work for me. :)
    Honestly I'd just be happy to have a new Incredible Hulk sandbox game. Open world games and console technology have come a long way since the PS2 days* and I'd love to see someone try to top Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

Seriously might reinstall LEGO Marvel on the PS4 soon to tide me over until I can get the new Spider-Man game.

Speaking of LEGOs, now that X-Men is no longer a four-letter word (Oh, wait...) to Marvel and Disney, I really hope we'll see a dedicated LEGO X-Men game. Even the first LEGO Marvel game where they were allowed to appear barely scratched the surface of the X-Men property even though it had numerous characters from the series.

* Spider-Man 2 had some cool web swinging physics, but by the time I finally got to play it I had already been spoiled by Just Cause 2.
    I actually thought Superman Returns was on the right track. The flying was actually really good, and the idea of the city tacking damage rather than Supes was pretty good. What it needed was smoother control for things beside flying. Maybe some kind of lock-on system that made it easier to do things like saving civilians, perhaps backed with some sort of slow-mo system to simplify interposing yourself between them and enemy attacks. Basically make you feel like Superman as you stand there with your chest puffed out blocking bullets and protecting innocent people, having used your super-speed to fly in front of them.
    I'd love to see someone crack the code of a great Superman game. I don't have a specific pitch myself, but I'd love to see a loving portrayal of the mythic elements of the character/universe.
    I'm getting more and more bored with the traditional Marvel/DC superhero stuff, but I would like a co-op space sim/shooter... based on The Last Starfighter. One person pilots and manages systems, the other handles all the shooting. Fight desperate battles against incredible odds a million miles from nowhere.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #9 WiIIyTheAntelope 14 days ago
    I've had enough Superhero stuff. The inevitable crash can't come soon enough.
    On the other side of Kat's coin, I would really like a good Wonder Woman game. My girlfriend loves her! There's a lot of fun costumes they could put in for her too.
    I would also like to see a come-back of the superhero isometric dungeon crawlers with any Marvel superheroes really. X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse was great. I'm playing Victor Vran at the moment, and it's cool, and those original X-Men legends games were the cat's pajamas.
    Lastly, I loved Daredevil growing up because his powers were interesting and he always got the shit kicked out of him left and right. It would be interesting to see a game where it somehow explores that side of him from a gameplay perspective.Edited 2 weeks ago by chaoticBeat
    I don't really like superheroes much outside of My Hero Academia and The Dark Knight. I've enjoyed a few other things here and there but not to the extent of those two.

If I had to make a dream superhero game it would be done in the Mass Effect style in motion, let you build your character however you want whether that's a focus on combat a focus on rescuing people or a focus on stopping destruction. And it would be party based and your team would need the various abilities to tackle missions as they rise up. The map where you'd deal with a crisis would be in the Into the Breach style and if you fail to save enough people you fail the world and start over (also like XCOM I guess in that sense), and you can't save every region, so you have to choose carefully from the map because you can't save everyone. I think being a hero should be an extremely difficult task and any game should reflect that. You and maybe a select few people are fighting against something that's threatening everyone and if you aren't Superman it should be hard as hell.

Basically I'm asking for a RPG inspired by Into the Breach and I guess it can be superheroes but it doesn't matter.Edited 2 weeks ago by NiceGuyNeon
    The simple answer is a Flash game, combining the fastest elements of Spider-Man and Sonic games.

The slightly more complex one would be a Green Lantern game that includes elements of Scribblenauts and Dreams, in which it would be an action game with preset constructs, and constructs you can collect, but also you can "draw your own" constructs. The mechanics would be fixed by basic functions, like you could replace a boxing glove with an anvil or whatever, but I think it'd be a lot of fun as an all-ages game.

And then the real high-concept one would be Daredevil, where it would be possible to play it normally, a bit like a Batman Arkham game, but also, there would be alternate difficulty modes (including the default) that would actually attempt to mimic his unique "vision" to varying degrees of fidelity. It would basically be everything black except for what your sonic pulses touch, you would "see" purple bands of sound reflecting off of everything, and you could see distant sounds, but anything far from both you and a sound source would be invisibly dark. It would be a very unique to play with in navigating an environment.
  • A Hellboy game that really focuses on the monsters you're fighting. For every mission that takes you to beautiful locations all over the world you'll need to figure out what monster is killing the locals and gather the appropriate items needed to fight the creatures. So kinda like witcher with a big stone fist to punch fuckers with.
    @Cabbage-head-must-di They could put the Darkest Dungeon art team on that game
    Mike Williams gave the answer I was gonna, only set it in the 70's and make it as pulp/grindhouse as possible.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #16 VotesForCows 14 days ago
    @donmilliken Have to agree, Mike gave the best possible answer. Well, almost.

My ideal would be a compact Yakuza style world, but with more vertically - because deep down what we all really need is a game featuring SQUIRREL GIRL. I'd go nuts fur that.
    I’d love a exploration based game with the Fantastic Four (and friends like Namor and the Silver Surfer) where you can travel between different parts of the multiverse.
    Heroes for Hire (Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing) by Vanillaware! Take inspiration from the most recent Power Man and Iron Fist comic by David Walker, Sanford Greene, and Flaviano for proportions and supporting characters like Señor Magico and have it play like Dragon's Crown.
    Generally speaking another Marvel Ultimate Alliance would be nice - lord knows they've got a number of New or updated characters they could include these days, and superheroes lend themselves to Gauntlet style play.

Also something with Squirrel Girl that has some open ended, Mass Effect style dialogue and puzzle solving. Maybe you're talking down villains, maybe you're defeating them because she's unbeatable, whichever way you want to go!
  • Avatar for I-love-subnauica #20 I-love-subnauica 14 days ago
    The game i like is subnautica
  • Avatar for I-love-subnauica #21 I-love-subnauica 14 days ago
    Well, the x men are objectively the best super heroes. And RPGs are objectively the best games. So an x men RPG is the objective best answer.

Close runner up: a Quail Man dating sim.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #23 Funny_Colour_Blue 14 days ago
    I haven't played the new spider-man yet, so I don't know how this will measure up.

But my dream super hero game, would probably be a video game version of Diane Duane's "Venom Factor". In the novel she describes spider-man's webslinging like... - it's kind of like doing a kickflip on a skateboard at the right time/angle in order to gain more speed - but then you do that, with each arm in order to keep the speed going.

I played spider-man 2 alot, but it never felt like, the way she described it in this book.

Like, over the range of mediums spider-man's been in. Spider-man has never JUST webslung around buildings. In the 94' cartoon he had this frantic, jogging web, motion too where it was like, he was "running really fast", where he was webbing one building at time, in a frantic motion, using both his arms and legs. It was a lot like cross country skiing, but in the air.

It was really cool! But I've never seen that aspect reproduced in a spider-man game. The only game I've seen that might've come close though, Is the Japanese only "Spider-Man:Lethal Foes" for the snes. Where they map, spider-man's web slinging to the shoulder buttons. So the player can still run, as well as punch and kick, but use web slinging to move around.

I know it'll never happen, but it'd be really cool if we had a spider-man game, that really felt like you were actually web slinging. Where webslinging is more of an extreme sport, on top of the super hero stuff.Edited 3 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by Funny_Colour_Blue
    A mashup of persona-style school/dating life and kingdom hearts-style combat in an x-men game. Multiple characters (choose from one at the beginning) with multiple overlapping paths, but each campaign is only like, 10-20 hours to beat.
    Also if they could incorporate the hideous/lovely turn of the century aesthetic of the X-Men evolution show... mmmmm
    Following up on my previous post after some more thinking, here's some other superhero games I'd like to see.

1) A quality Fantastic Four game. They've been in some good Marvel ensemble games but Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben seriously deserve a good solo outing. I'm thinking a good puzzle action game or co-op multiplayer title.

2) An Iron Man sandbox game in the vein of Marvel's Spider-Man. Dude really kicked off the whole MCU Renaissance, he deserves a better solo game outing than the ones he's gotten. Also like Spider-Man, Tony Stark has a long history of different suits he can draw from. Same general rule that other heroes exist in the world but aren't present in the game...though I would make an exception for The Incredible Hulk 'cuz c'mon, Tony made a suit of armor specifically for stopping HULK SMASH! situations that get out of hand. You got to have an Iron Man vs Hulk fight, it's the law.

3) Marvel vs DC: The Game because come the frig on already. COME. THE. FRIG. ON.Edited 2 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by MetManMas
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #27 LBD_Nytetrayn 13 days ago
    @Captain-Gonru I played a demo of either one or both. Seemed fun, but the reputation combined with my budget kept me away.
  • Avatar for NotCarolKaye #28 NotCarolKaye 13 days ago
    Something with Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII, because she's the most super of heroes.
    Years ago when Platinum was cranking stuff out for Activision, the director of one of those games said he'd like to make a Spider-Gwen game. At the time I thought they should make a Heroes for Hire beat-em-up like their TMNT game but not shitty. I'd like a good Iron Man game that really nailed the tech aspect, maybe with Armored Core like tweaking and modifying your suit.
  • Avatar for RorschachCCCLX #30 RorschachCCCLX 12 days ago
    One that isn’t console exclusive.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #31 donkeyintheforest 12 days ago
    I think my dream superhero game would be kinda like expanded version of the original Books of Magic 4 issue series. You would be a character of your own creation, and would get to choose your path of magic in the DC universe. You could follow paths under John Constantine to delve into deep dark demonic worlds, study order and good (boring lol) under Dr. Fate, go a bit more lighthearted with the reverse word magic of Zatanna, become super strong like Shazam (Capt. Marvel), etc.

There is so much magic in the DCU; it would be really fun to just bounce around all the different cities and multiverses to help the various heroes. Superman is vulnerable to magic, so even being a low level magic user you could come in and help him out of a bind against Mxyzptlk. You could join Batman against Ra's al Ghul, Wonder Woman against some person wielding some ancient magic relics, etc.

edit: and by the end you could prob take all the paths if you are a completionist and be super OP like in skyrim hahaEdited 2 weeks ago by donkeyintheforest

Comments