Overwatch's newest hero Wrecking Ball is live now on the PTR. Yes, you're seeing it correctly, the new Overwatch hero is a hamster in a giant wrecking ball robot.
Wrecking Ball aka Hammond is one of the animal specimen tested on the Lunar base alongside Winston; and like Winston, Hammond was genetically modified for science. This resulted in his increased size and intelligence, as well as his cunning and mischievous personality. This led him to escape the Horizon Lunar Colony during the rebellion where he crash-landed on Earth in Junkertown giving him a connection to Junkrat and Roadhog, as well as the Junker Queen.
You can see is origin story in a cute narrative trailer Blizzard released to celebrate the new hero. It covers his origins, as well as how he came to wreak havoc in a mech suit.
Hammond pilots around a robotic wrecking ball (hence the name) so his abilities reflect that. As a tank he cans witch between a bipedal Combat mode with machine guns, or a Roll mode that lets him travel around a map with speed. He has a large health pool and can generate shields. He can also climb and swing on surfaces using a Grappling Claw. His full ability list is below:
- Quad Cannons: His machine guns
- Adaptive Shield: Can generate a number of temporary shields based on the enemies nearby
- Roll: Can morph into a ball for speed
- Grappling Call: While in Roll mode he can use a grappling hook to swing, jump, and move across surfaces. Enemies will be dealt damage if hit.
- Piledriver: Wrecking Ball slams down from the air, dealing damage.
- Minefield: Ultimate attack, Wrecking Ball litters the ground with proximity mines.
Wrecking Ball is available to test now on the PTR. For more about Overwatch, check out our complete Overwatch guide for the latest tips, tricks, and hero guides.