Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Sales Outside Japan Far Exceeded Monolith Soft's Expectations

The world's love for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is Titan-ic.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

It's good to be a JRPG on the Nintendo Switch. According to Monolith Soft Executive Director Tetsuya Takahashi, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its recent DLC, Torna: The Golden Country, surpassed Monolith Soft's commercial expectations, especially in the West. The success of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 means a "Xenoblade Chronicles 3" isn't out of the question, though Takahashi isn't prepared to say what Monolith Soft is working on next.

"From a sales perspective, I have to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 exceeded my expectations," Takahashi tells me through a translator during a recent phone interview. "We really saw more people pick the game up and experience it in the North American and European territories than we thought would do so.

"It's still early days for the Torna DLC, but from what we've seen in Japan, the sales of the Torna DLC are exceeding our expectations as well," Takahashi adds.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2's success means the possibility of a follow-up game is more than a faraway dream.

Though Takahashi says he's not yet ready to talk about what we might see in a future installment of Xenoblade Chronicles, I asked him if there's a chance the series will return to the harder science fiction setting we saw in Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U—i.e. will we return to exploring planets and piloting mechs instead of travelling on the backs of the huge, living Titans that define Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Takashi says it's possible, but a "third option" isn't off the table, either.

"I'm someone who gets bored of whatever it was I did last," he says. "If the [Xenoblade Chronicles] series continues, you just might see it take a third option. It might go down a path it hasn't gone down before."

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 earned high marks from us in 2017 thanks to its imagination, charm, and sometimes-opaque but undeniably-satisfying battle system. It's sold over a million units since its release.

• Avatar for Tetragrammaton #1 Tetragrammaton 17 days ago
    That's good news. I just finished Torna and there was so much to love there that I immediately wanted its changes brought forward into the base game. Definitely looking forward to the next Monolith project again.
    Now port Xenoblade X to the Switch!....... while youre at it, port anything with XENO in it to the Switch! lol
    I hope they consider making a sequel to X next. That game ended if not exactly in a cliffhanger, definitely with a lot more questions raised.
    Yaay! Port of X to Switch, please. And maybe a sequel...?
    I very much enjoyed XC2 when i played it this summer. The story was whatever, and most of the characters were decent, but what really nailed it for me was the exploration and battle system. The sheer scale of the game combined with just layers of game mechanics makes for a very hardcore JRPG experience. I still prefer the first XC1 because I thought it had better characters "It's Reyn Time" and more imaginative environments (Satorl Marsh comes to mind) but this is a very high quality adventure and I'm up for either XC3, XCX2 or whatever comes next. They've given us a lot of high quality experiences over these past few years.

I think I prefer the more story focused approach of XC1 and 2 over the open world approach of XCX, but if they port XCX to Switch (and they should) I'd buy it again.
    Can't wait for a new game!

Also wanted to see Xenoblade X on Switch.
    Very glad to hear that. Xenoblade 2 was my game of the year last year. Even over Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. That game had its hooks in me like crazy.
    This is great to hear but after three Xenoblade titles back to back I wish they would create a whole new IP for their next outing.
    Well the reason why it did well was [six characters yelling over each other] power of friendship!
  • Avatar for alexandrecorreia53 #10 alexandrecorreia53 13 days ago