Assassin's Creed IV Director Wants Series to Go to Egypt

Assassin's Creed IV's Ashraf Ismail wants to see the series jump to ancient Egypt

News by Mike Williams, .

Part of the promise of the Assassin's Creed serires is being able to hop through different time periods. To be able to jump to certain parts of history, murder the inhabitants, and parkour everywhere. It's a beautiful dream that drives my love of the series. The first game took you to the Middle East during the Third Crusade; Ezio began in Italy, but also traveled to Constantinople; Connor had the early American colonies as his stomping ground; and ACIV's Edward Kenway will take us to the Caribbean. So what's next for the series?

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag creative director Ashraf Ismail told the Examiner that he wants to the series to head to Egypt next.

"I would say one of the best things we have going for us is how we can play with history," said Ismail. "History is something that is rooted in all of us; we all have a deeper connection to it. So there's a lot of interesting periods and time places we haven't been to that I would to see."

Official Assassin's Creed artwork by Polish artist Gabz.

"I'm not saying we are going there, but one day I would love to explore Egypt as a setting for this game. Ancient Egypt could be a really cool place. We have a really cool explanation for how we can do this, and it is with this Animus device that allows us to go to anytime in history."

Of course, this won't necessarily be the next game. The team at Ubisoft Montreal who led the development of Assassin's Creed IV began their work in mid-2011. The next Assassin's Creed is already under development at Ubisoft Toronto, the company confirmed to Polygon. Assuming the same two-and-a-half year development cycle after getting out all the DLC, Ismail's team would be working on the Assassin's Creed for release in 2016.

"It was never a set rule that we always get closer to the present day," Ismail added. "We were a bit surprised by people who saying, 'how do you go back in time, how's that possible?' It's that Animus device we have. But again, I'm not saying Egypt is where the next one is going, it's just where I would like it to go."

Back in 2011, before the announcement of Assassin's Creed III, Ubisoft sent out a market research survey asking players to choose which time periods they wanted to see in the series. The full list is below:

• The violent conflicts of the Imperial Dynasties in Medieval China
  • The advent of the mighty British Empire during Victorian England
  • The culmination of the Pharaoh Reign in Ancient Egypt
  • The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors
  • The confrontation between British colonists and native Americans during The American Revolution
  • The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution
  • The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan
  • The rise of Cesar's Empire in Ancient Rome

I admit I'm partial to Imperial China and the Sengoku Era of Japan as settings for further AC games. In fact, the Ubisoft-produced animated short film Assassin's Creed: Embers also featured female Chinese assassin Shao Jun. Where would you like to see Assassin's Creed go in the future?

I'd be down with nearly all of those options. The annualization doesn't bother me too much, because I don't keep up with them when they come out. Even as the quality of the games wavers from entry to entry, they'll always be good for a unique historical experience and that always-fun sense that you're doing something cool when all you're really doing is holding down 2 buttons.

I'd love to see the series in Ancient Greece, whose treatment in gaming is usually limited to mythical stuff. Hell, any of those sound pretty great.
    I’m surprised the French Revolution, Reign of Terror and the Napoleonic Wars are not on that list. They would be natural settings for the series.

The German unification and the Meiji restoration in Japan would also be nice.
    I still want a Japanese one, but if they go with Egypt, the very best time would be right around the destruction of the library of Alexandria, which would eb an excellent climax or beginning to the game.
    "To be able to jump to certain parts of history, murder the inhabitants, and parkour everywhere. It's a beautiful dream that drives my love of the series."

That's what completely puts me off the series. Fascinating, important periods of history being faithfully recreated... so you can be some asshole in a hoodie who stabs famous people in the face and then does a backflip out the window. It seems to epitomize the dumbing down of culture to the lowest common denominator.
  • Avatar for ibrahimismail42 #5 ibrahimismail42 3 years ago
    @metalangel I absolutely love Assassin's Creed, and always have a grand time playing the games. I disagree with your opinion that the game dumbs down the culture. In fact, I feel it brings it to life and even inspires people to do real research into the time period, it is a game after all. As a side note though, this part of your comment "That's what completely puts me off the series. Fascinating, important periods of history being faithfully recreated... so you can be some asshole in a hoodie who stabs famous people in the face and then does a backflip out the window." is easily one of the funniest and best comments I've read on the internet LOL XD
    @ibrahimismail42 At the risk of generalizing: for someone like us (see, assuming already) then we'd be inspired to find out what really happened behind all the ridiculous stabbing and free-running.

My problem with the whole exercise is that you don't have to make any investment in it at all - you can just be the 'I don't give a f***' embodiment of the worst of the 21st century that just sees stabbing those people from the history class you fall asleep in as 'lulz worthy'. I contrast it with stuff like Civ where you learn about crucial developments in history and are free to try and bend them to your will, or the Total War series where you're a participant but don't have any magic jumpy assassin powers.
    I think this is a horrible idea. Of course the egyptian guy who works there wants to go to egypt. Didnt they learn from how bad ac:revelations was? That did not work, neither will egypt. Also I don't know why there is this thing to have a ninja(asian) assassian. Its soo like predictable. I loved AC:3 because it was in america. I think a good idea maybe like knights of the round table era, or they did it right they could go civil war but it would have to not be like about slavery and stuff that would just be a back story or something. Anyway i hope they get it together AC:4 was really bad. If it was just called black flag without being attached to assassins creed then u got a great game, but this guy is no assassins, why does he have eagle vision? I thought you had to be a decendent of the first civilization for that. I dunno they just made it too different, no horses in AC:4 for the first time. No tackles, no pushing people gently. No lock picking, dissapointing game, hope 5 is better

Comments