Bethesda: Doom on the Switch Graphics Not One-to-one, Custom Built for Comparable Console Experience

So how will Doom on the Switch look?

News by Matt Kim, .

Doom is coming to the Nintendo Switch this holiday, and while that's certainly an exciting prospect, there are still some unanswered questions. Chief among them is how the game will hold up graphically to its PS4, Xbox One and PC counterparts. After reaching out to Bethesda, we now know that while the graphics won't obviously be at the same level of other consoles, Doom on the Switch will try and deliver a comparable experience.

"DOOM on Switch is custom-built for the hardware and while graphics won't be 1:1 with other platforms, the game will deliver the amazing DOOM look and feel that fans are excited to get on Switch," a Bethesda spokesperson told USGamer in an official response when we reached out to try and find out some additional details about the Switch version's fps and other graphical details.

Video posted by Cycu1

I don't think anyone is expecting Doom on the Switch to look as good as its counterparts on other platforms. I originally reached out to Bethesda so I could have some more concrete details about the game while covering it (details the company sidestepped in its response). Based on the reveal trailer during Nintendo's recent livestream (which doesn't necessarily portray the final product), Doom certainly looked close enough to the original. A fact many people on Twitter and social media have picked up on.

While you can see that the lighting in the Switch version (based on the trailer) is a little less vibrant, and the graphics a little more dull, it's impressive to see it running on the Switch with so much accuracy. The question that remains is how the game will play in comparison to the console versions.

The quality of the video from the Direct feed was really poor so it's hard to make fair comparisons. That said, what I've seen so far looks fine, I just hope it's 60fps!
    If you have to side-by-side it for me to see the difference then I really don't care.
    As long as it plays the same, I don't give a fart how the game looks.
    I knew there was going to be some visual sacrifices, given how the Dragon Quest Heroes duology took a hit on the platform. Oh well, it's just the price to pay to (comfortably) play the game on the go.
    @BulkSlash I probably wouldn't count on that, given how the Nintendo Switch's graphical capabilities are somewhere between last gen and (non-PS4 Pro/Xbox One X) current gen consoles.
    I'm pretty sick of graphical comparison videos that use streamed footage of unfinished games.
    @MetManMas I'm trying to stay positive. ;) The 60fps was so integral to Doom that I'm hoping they've not compromised in that area. IIRC the Xbox One version was 900p so I'm hoping a docked Switch might just squeeze 60fps at 720p. That said, I suppose if it was 60fps they'd have been shouting about it to the press by now!
    Amazing work. Of course, actual gameplay will be the real test.Edited September 2017 by daverhodus
    @Roto13 how do i +1 a comment like two dozen times
  • Avatar for jumpin_jeeps #9 jumpin_jeeps 2 months ago
    Was that quote really worth publishing a 'story' over? (A: No)
    _____________